Those who 'only' had up to 25 lbs to lose - please share your successes!

Options
HoneyBadger302
HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
edited May 2018 in Success Stories
Looking to collect some success stories from those who weren't too terribly far from their goal, probably were considered "healthy" and relatively fit, but had to work hard to get rid of the extra.

While longer journeys are amazing, I'd like to keep this thread to those who only had ~25 pounds to lose to begin with. Please share if you are one of those people, and let me know what worked for you, what didn't, and what motivated you along the way!

I'm a 5' 7" F, 39 years old, highest weight ever was ~163ish, was steadily losing and around 145 when I broke my leg, and now am back to losing what I put on after that (and continue where I left off) - currently at ~155. My goal is 140 with my current muscle, where I will reassess how I feel.

I spent several months recomping at my weight to rebuild my fitness, which definitely changed my appearance, but now it's time to work on the cutting portion and get rid of that fat! I know I can't do a dramatic cut as my energy and workouts almost immediately suffer, but would like to hear success stories from others who were never really THAT far from their "ideal" weight.

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Looking to collect some success stories from those who weren't too terribly far from their goal, probably were considered "healthy" and relatively fit, but had to work hard to get rid of the extra.

While longer journeys are amazing, I'd like to keep this thread to those who only had ~25 pounds to lose to begin with. Please share if you are one of those people, and let me know what worked for you, what didn't, and what motivated you along the way!

I'm a 5' 7" F, 39 years old, highest weight ever was ~163ish, was steadily losing and around 145 when I broke my leg, and now am back to losing what I put on after that (and continue where I left off) - currently at ~155. My goal is 140 with my current muscle, where I will reassess how I feel.

I spent several months recomping at my weight to rebuild my fitness, which definitely changed my appearance, but now it's time to work on the cutting portion and get rid of that fat! I know I can't do a dramatic cut as my energy and workouts almost immediately suffer, but would like to hear success stories from others who were never really THAT far from their "ideal" weight.

I was approx 71 kg (maybe more at the peak) and now I'm 61kg. I was not obese but of a v small build and felt very fat. Calorie counting religiously worked and exercising as much as possible helped. Now I want to do less cardio and more weights.
  • ravergirl1992
    ravergirl1992 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I qualify for your thread...I am 25 and 5ft4.

February 2015 - 170 lbs
    October 2017 - 136 lbs

I am now 146 lbs (result of honeymooning and Christmas!) I don't have much to lose, probably about 6 lbs to get to my ideal weight. It has been a very slow process and I have had ups and downs, especially depending on where I am in life, and whether I am about to go on holiday or have just come back! I mainly just try and focus on bigger picture, and staying fit and healthy. It's been tough at times, but I always come back to MFP.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I only had 10-15lbs to lose, but when you are really short (just over 5') it makes a big difference. I prefer to be on the low end of the BMI scale as I'm very small boned. For me planning is key. I planned out my meals for the week and logged in advance. I knew exactly what and when I was going to eat, how much water I was going to drink and when and what exercise I was doing each day. Then you just follow the plan. I did an upper/lower bodybuilding split with Interval sprints for cardio on between days. I've since put back a good portion of the weight in muscle over the past 2 years.
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    After my second child I weighed an all time high of 155 (5 foot3). Lost about 10 pounds without trying too hard, but then nothing for about 5 years. Finally set out to lose the last 20 and it took about a year. It was a challenge! I had to be really strict with eating and cut back on alcohol a lot ( from a drink after work every night and more on weekends to only 1-2 drinks on weekends). I also took up running and fitness blender videos. I didn’t weigh my food at all, just cut back a lot, especially on kid snacks (pretzels, goldfish...). Now maintaining at 125 since October 2017 which isn’t easy either! I would still like to lose 5-7 more since my bf is about 25%.
  • kimberly1534mfp
    kimberly1534mfp Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Anyone can do it!
    [Edited by MFP Mods]
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've lost ~11 lbs since January, only have 10 lbs more to go. Low and slow works for me. 1/4 lb - 1/2 lb per week is good enough for me. I am not in a rush, it's not a race. I've given myself the rest of the year to lose the last 10 lbs. You have to keep a super accurate account of what you eat, especially if you're short like me -- every bite and splash of sauce counts.
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Great stories everyone, and thanks to everyone who has shared!

I can typically maintain my weight pretty easily without needing to be super strict about tracking things, but losing is another matter. I'm trying to fit meal prep into my schedule - it's tough working 7 days a week, but when I do it, I find it a LOT easier to stick to my goals (plus it helps keep my food budget more reasonable). Only been at it a couple weeks at this point, but so far I like the results, still kind of sucks trying to fit it into my week.

Over the winter and into spring I put on a lot of muscle. Recomped quite a bit, keeping my weight fairly steady. Still have visible atrophy in my bad leg (compared to my good leg), but the rest of me is doing pretty well and I'm happy with the progress I've made in terms of strength. Now just need to unveil the muscles I can see are there but not defined.

My weight was never an issue until I got the dreaded desk job, so learning to have to control myself and really watch things was a lesson that was hard to swallow, but one I had to learn.

Currently working out ~5 days a week for about 2 hours/day - first hour is a warm up and some martial arts, 2nd hour is weight lifting with stretching at the end. Trying to keep closer to the 1500-1600 calorie goal in order to kick start the weight loss, but will allow myself up to maintenance if the hangries are real LOL. Weeks when I'll be at the track I typically end up skipping at least one gym day.

I 'used' to weigh around 128 (until said desk job). I'm fairly certain I have more muscle mass at this point than I did then, however, so I've adjusted my goal to 140, with a reassessment at that weight. If I feel like I could keep going and still have more fluff than I'm willing to live with, I'll choose a lower goal - if I'm happy with my composition, then I'll look to start maintaining.

I enjoy my martial arts, I enjoy weight lifting, I HATE most cardio. I can force myself to do it, but I have never enjoyed it - bicycling, running, elliptical, rowing - didn't matter, just have never enjoyed those types of steady-state cardio workouts.
  • thebestyear2017
    thebestyear2017 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So happy to find this thread! Am back on the wagon after an operation to remove my gallbladder a few months ago saw me pile on the weight and pick up bad habits (dinner in bed, saying no to social events and doing zero exercises). I’m 5ft 6”, 155lbs. Last year I got down to 131 and was able to wear my favourite jeans. Tracking, planning and weighing meals, yoga once a week, walking 10k steps daily, and one weight session a week so far. Hoping to add two more gym cardio sessions weekly. Baby steps!
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Want to keep this thread alive - we've had some great stories shared so far!
  • thebestyear2017
    thebestyear2017 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Want to keep this thread alive - we've had some great stories shared so far!

Honeybadger we had the same start weight! How are you getting on so far? My goal is 126, but even in 3 weeks my weight has fluctuated up to 159 and now at 155 again! I’m working out and eating 1200-1400 a day, so I think it will slowly come off. Have just introduced regular cardio (cross-training) at the gym too.

Summer is SO hard to dress for when you don’t like your body. I see people in shorts and dresses and want to have the same freedom!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!