Calories and calories burned through exercise

Options
Hi!! I'm sure this has been asked before, but my calorie goal is 1200 a day. I burned 450 in Kettlebell class, and 200 in 20 mins elliptical. It adds those calories burned to my daily intake.. so my question is. In order to lose weight, do I eat 1850 calories? Or stick closer to 1200 calories? Thanks!

Replies

• crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    eat your calories burned plus 1200 calorie goal. So if you burn 450, you will be eating a total of 1650.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories.

HOWEVER a lot of people find that the estimates for calories burned during exercise are a bit high, so you might want to try eating back about half of your exercise calories to start with, and then adjust that depending on how your weight loss works out.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Eat your exercise calories.

HOWEVER a lot of people find that the estimates for calories burned during exercise are a bit high, so you might want to try eating back about half of your exercise calories to start with, and then adjust that depending on how your weight loss works out.

^ this

200 in 20 minutes is possible, but that would be pretty intense. I find most estimates to be on the high side.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much you burned? If you have a heart rate monitor that estimates calories burned that is more likely to be accurate. Readouts from machines or estimates from online calorie burn calculators are based on an algorithm's best guess and probably not very accurate. Start eating back 50% of the calories and see how that goes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much you burned? If you have a heart rate monitor that estimates calories burned that is more likely to be accurate. Readouts from machines or estimates from online calorie burn calculators are based on an algorithm's best guess and probably not very accurate. Start eating back 50% of the calories and see how that goes.

For the elliptical it could be accurate as long as she kept a steady pace the entire time (not intervals), but it would be inaccurate for kettlebell.

OP, take a look through this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation