20 lbs in 6 weeks?

Options
Monique_ASU
Monique_ASU Posts: 5 Member
I joined a weight loss program at a local gym after being fed up with my the lack of motivation to change my diet and exercise.

WIth this program, I have to lose 20 lbs in 6 weeks or I will lose my $400 deposit, Is this possible to do in a healthy way? Especially with me having a lot of water weight to start off with and with me already being a little bigger? I obviously want to lose the weight but I don't want to harm my body in the process.

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    If your profile pic is the current you, then probably not. If your profile info is correct there may be an outside chance, but like you say most of that first push will be water weight.

Not knowing your stats, there's no way to know for sure, but it looks like, even if your profile current weight is true, that it may be on the ambitious side. It won't be the most healthy either, but in only 6 weeks you might not cause too much damage.

If this gym does this kind of thing on a routine basis, I'm sure it gets to keep a lot of those deposits. And it's not a gym whose owners/operators are really interested in health....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I mean, probably not. Unless you are over 300 lbs, you can't realistically expect to lose more than 2 lbs per week. There's no way to know how much water weight you have to drop, but this sounds like a great way to lose your deposit, sorry.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    there is a program here like that except it's $600 you have to lose 20lbs in 6weeks AND your body fat has to be under 50% at the end of the 6 weeks, if your profile pic is real then no you will most likely lose your $400.00
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well, let's assume you lose 5 pounds of water weight in the first week (a very generous assumption). Then you have 15 pounds left to lose in five weeks. MFP is set so that the absolute minimum "healthy" rate at which to lose semi-quickly is 1200 calories a day. That might get you to an average loss of around 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. So, it's more likely you might reach a weight loss of around 15 pounds. BUT, if you're combining it with a new exercise program at your gym, you may retain some water in your muscles as your body gets used to it. How strange that a "fitness center" would encourage and reward its members to undertake a potentially unhealthy course of action that is geared to make everyone fail the challenge. That would be so demotivating for me.
  • Monique_ASU
    Monique_ASU Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So just an update: As much as I wish my profile picture was the current me, it's not. It's me a good 50-60 lbs ago. I put on a lot of weight very quickly in the past 1-2 years. Currently I'm almost at 200 lbs
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you follow the program truly you will most likely get your money back. They typically have you work out 5-6 days a week and eat at a deficit. I wouldn't follow this program long term you must definitely will burn yourself out
  • stephyyy28
    stephyyy28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did a program exactly like what you described a few years ago and successfully lost the 20 pounds in 6 weeks. I was required to eat from a specific list of foods (mostly oatmeal, chicken breast, lean turkey, brown rice, sweet potato, and unlimited veggies) and had to drink a gallon of water per day. I had to attend 30 workouts during the 6 weeks as well. I was 213 lbs and ended at 193 lbs and I cheated a few times throughout. It was hard but I felt great in the end. I remember seeing women successfully complete the challenge that were quite a bit smaller than me. It’s doable but the the hardest part is maintaining that weight loss once you’re done. So make sure to have a plan for when you’ve completed the challenge so you don’t gain it all back :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    stephyyy28 wrote: »
    I did a program exactly like what you described a few years ago and successfully lost the 20 pounds in 6 weeks. I was required to eat from a specific list of foods (mostly oatmeal, chicken breast, lean turkey, brown rice, sweet potato, and unlimited veggies) and had to drink a gallon of water per day. I had to attend 30 workouts during the 6 weeks as well. I was 213 lbs and ended at 193 lbs and I cheated a few times throughout. It was hard but I felt great in the end. I remember seeing women successfully complete the challenge that were quite a bit smaller than me. It’s doable but the the hardest part is maintaining that weight loss once you’re done. So make sure to have a plan for when you’ve completed the challenge so you don’t gain it all back :)

The bolded to me is the key. In order to accomplish that kind of weight loss you are going to have to undereat, over-exercise, and probably be dehydrated. If that were me, at the end of 6 grueling weeks, I would be DONE. No energy, no willpower, nothing left in the tank. Not a great way to "jump start" motivation.

If you have problems with staying motivated and on your diet plan, my suggestion would be to make it easier (not harder) to stay on plan. Eat a less restrictive diet, aim to lose the weight a little slower and gentler, and focus on small habit changes that you can carry with you for the rest of your life. To me, trying to floor it and lose a ton of weight fast is a great way to ensure that 6 weeks from now you will be right back in the situation you are now - unmotivated looking for gimmicks. Just my 2 cents!
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    what do you get if you are successful? Anything more than your money back?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    So just an update: As much as I wish my profile picture was the current me, it's not. It's me a good 50-60 lbs ago. I put on a lot of weight very quickly in the past 1-2 years. Currently I'm almost at 200 lbs

How tall are you, and what did you weigh in the profile picture (you look great in the photo by the way)?

You may be able to do it if you are very strict with your program, but may want to get the advice of your health care provider. $400 is a pretty big incentive, at least it would be for me!
    I wish you the best luck!