Only have $150 a month for food, help!

Options
SaraLynnFiske
SaraLynnFiske Posts: 38 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I only get $150 per month for myself to eat with. I don't know how to live off of $5 a day. I have tried watching videos online, and reading articles, but I'm having a hard time grasping at this and understanding what I can do. Does anyone have any really cheap recipes or meal plans??

I live in Western Massachusetts, and the stores nearby are Wal-Mart, Big Y, Dollar Tree and Stop&Shop :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you share your location and what stores you generally have available, people may be able to provide more specific help. Stuff that works for someone in Baltimore may not help someone in Toronto and will be worthless for someone in Bermuda.
  • SaraLynnFiske
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you share your location and what stores you generally have available, people may be able to provide more specific help. Stuff that works for someone in Baltimore may not help someone in Toronto and will be worthless for someone in Bermuda.

How do I do this? ☺ you mean posting it with my post? :)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You just say where you are located and what is available around you.... for example, I'm in Northern California, near San Francisco. I have everything from Grocery Outlet bargain stores to Whole Foods, Safeway and Molly Stones. I have easy access to a Farmer's Market and several dollar stores.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I guess the next question is can you grow anything?
  • SaraLynnFiske
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I guess the next question is can you grow anything?

I could but the ground around my home is mushy and wet so I feel it might over-water crops. What do you think? Maybe it would work!
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well for starters, stay out of stop n shop. Is there a market basket out by you?
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Have you ever applied for SNAP? If your income's low enough that that's all you can spend on groceries you might be eligible.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of soup. Use the bulk or bagged dried beans & cutup vegetables. Any leftover meat can go in too. Avoid boring with seasoning - make it thai (ginger/coconut milk/curry sauce) or add salsa. Gardening takes about 4 - 6 months and will help you out long term. Just takes time & setup and maintenance.
    It's the processed foods that are unhealthiest and pricey, along w/dairy and meats.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I could but the ground around my home is mushy and wet so I feel it might over-water crops. What do you think? Maybe it would work!

I wasn't necessarily referring to crops as much as a few specific things to cut down on costs down the road. You can't afford to grow too much of your food and you would have to wait too long.

If the ground is not suitable you may need to get creative with finding or creating planters. Things that can be cut or lined. The only thing you can really afford here is a limited number of seed packets.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I only get $150 per month for myself to eat with. I don't know how to live off of $5 a day. I have tried watching videos online, and reading articles, but I'm having a hard time grasping at this and understanding what I can do. Does anyone have any really cheap recipes or meal plans??

I live in Western Massachusetts, and the stores nearby are Wal-Mart, Big Y, Dollar Tree and Stop&Shop :)

The quintessential nutritious, eating on the cheap staple on this side of the world is rice & (dried) beans/lentils. If you have a fridge/freezer it can be done in large quantities and microwaved later. (Entire large swaths of the world pretty much live off of this day in-day out). Also potatoes. Add what frozen/canned/fresh veggies are available cheaply.

For more protein: take advantage of weekly meat specials. Chicken thighs are usually very cheap. Eggs (note: whole eggs do have almost as much fat as protein). More fat than protein, but peanut butter is cheap and does have some protein (albeit not a particularly great source for the calories).

I don't shop at any of those particular stores, so I can't make more specific recommendations. (where I am, I mainly shop at Aldi, PriceRite, Wegmans).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    and oats are cheap. I've done poached-ish eggs in the microwave and then poured in rolled oats into the hot water. not too bad. some peanut butter can go well with oats too (the basis of a lot of food bars).
  • SaraLynnFiske
    Options
    Have you ever applied for SNAP? If your income's low enough that that's all you can spend on groceries you might be eligible.

My 150 budget is from SNAP :) thank you for the suggestion!
  • SaraLynnFiske
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    Well for starters, stay out of stop n shop. Is there a market basket out by you?

I'm not sure what a Market Basket is :o
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Cook and prep time may also be a factor here:

-- Dried beans (usually one of the better cost/nutrition foods) can take a while to cook -- an electric pressure cooker or a slow cooker will be your friend... (I find that the White Northern / Navy beans and/or Pinto beans are most versatile for me); Walmart should have 2 @ 64ounce bags for like $6 == 1lb dry cooks to about 12 0.5cup servings; so $6 here will get you like 45+ servings ( 0.5 cup /130g ) - not terrible for ~90 cals and ~6-7g protein

-- Rice is a good way to kinda stretch a meal a little bit without breaking the bank (not the fancy quick-cook flavored stuff, just a big bag o'rice). Walmart has 10-lb bags at like $6 -- 10-lbs of cheap white rice is like ~100 0.75 cup (cooked) servings or so. 3g protein and 36g carbs

Nobody wants to live on beans and rice exclusively, adding affordable frozen veggies to both is a way to break up the monotony and change up the nutrition as well.

Eggs may be within reach (and can form a foundation for a different meal) Walmart 5-dozen packs should be in the ~$16-$18 range -- 70cals for 6g protein each -- at 2 eggs per day you're eating only $0.50 ...

Haunting the "nearly expired" meat and cheese discounts can add some more diversity into your diet as well

I've found that buying in bulk (and when possible cooking in bulk to freeze in usable portions) helps to stretch my budget a great deal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have a small budget too though i've been able to loosen up a bit on my budget
    rice, beans, frozen veggies and fruit. or whatever is in season.
    eggs
    chicken thighs
    spagetti

meal prepping saves me money including baking bread, cake, cookies.

it's doable but it can be hard