Sleepiness after work out

Options
MFredman
MFredman Posts: 11 Member
Let me start by saying that years ago I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue (and never bought into it) However I have just recently started working out (maybe 3 weeks ago) for the most part I have felt pretty good afterwards. Most of it has also been high intensity / cardio (Bootcamp, HIIT, etc) Today I did strength training and yes I sweat, yes I was shaking but don't feel like over did it BUT I am feeling super tired. Not fatigued just down right sleepy...anyone else ever have this happen...I had an egg sandwich before the work out and a mediterranean salad after and plenty of water....

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Many people starting on MFP fail to eat more when they do more, still eating at level that is correct with no exercise done.

Do that with intense workouts and the lack of recovery that follows - it will make you tired.

Are you using MFP correctly and logging workouts and eating to the new calorie goal?

Was your selected weight loss rate based on max possible or a reasonable level?

Are you eating at any point prior, or is workout after a long fast like sleeping or through day?

Outside those reasons, high carb usage workouts will lower blood sugar, and so the points about food can have big effect.
  • MFredman
    Options
    Yes I do log everything. It has me right at 1200 cals and honestly I probably go over (net cals) by maybe 100 calories. I do generally have a post workout Isagenix smoothie but my body was craving a salad so I had that afterwards. Because they are pretty intense workout I generally eat an hour prior to the workout and I try to balance carbs / protein etc.
  • heybales
    Options
    Post workout is good for recovery for the next day.
    But are you going INTO the workout with enough feeding to have a good one? That's the side that could be lacking.

And my reference to logging workouts - is that what you mean by logging everything?
    Good if so.
    If you mean food, good too, but I meant workouts.

Now, 1200 base goal - what did you pick as weekly weight loss amount - 2 lbs, 1 lb?

How much do you have to lose until healthy weight?

What does balance carbs / protein mean exactly?
    Balance is very subjective term and could be actually a bad combo if left to avg recommendations.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have days like that. today was one of them.

but in general, i feel BETTER and MORE awake after working out (which is why i do it in the morning lol)

if its chronic, you imght want to look into how much you are eating and see if that may be all or part of, the issue.
  • MFredman
    Options
    Yes I log my food and exercise and I base my calories on my net. So for example if I am 1200 cals but I burn 400 I can eat 1600. I believe I put my goal at -1 (maybe even -.5 a week) losing weight isn't a concern I am at a healthy weight just have some belly fat I want to get rid of and tone the rest up so the scale itself I could care less what it says at this point. If I had to say a number I'd say I am trying to lose 10 lbs but I know with working out I will probably look like I lost 10 but remain the same weight. When I eat I try to do more fruits / veggies(3/4) 1/4 carbs and 1/4 protein. I am also trying to transition to a WFPB so I may not be getting the right things in.
  • MFredman
    Options
    I know the CFS has to do with diet and exercise which is why I am at the point that I have had enough and have committed to the make the change. I did have frozen yogurt last night and ran into a pickle which resulted into eating fast food, so now thinking of it, that could very well be why I am feeling it even though I had a good work out
  • heybales
    Options
    MFredman wrote: »
    Yes I log my food and exercise and I base my calories on my net. So for example if I am 1200 cals but I burn 400 I can eat 1600. I believe I put my goal at -1 (maybe even -.5 a week) losing weight isn't a concern I am at a healthy weight just have some belly fat I want to get rid of and tone the rest up so the scale itself I could care less what it says at this point. If I had to say a number I'd say I am trying to lose 10 lbs but I know with working out I will probably look like I lost 10 but remain the same weight. When I eat I try to do more fruits / veggies(3/4) 1/4 carbs and 1/4 protein. I am also trying to transition to a WFPB so I may not be getting the right things in.

So proper use of MFP then.

I'd suggest though if 10 lbs really needed, or willing to accept some recomp to look better at same weight - set it for 1/2 lb per week to allow eating more.

Likely allow for more intense workouts.
    The bootcamp with strong resistance training and progressive overload will allow that recomp to occur.
    The HIIT is more a cardiac function than muscle, so it won't.

That increase of calorie should allow more protein overall too.
  • MFredman
    Options
    thank you so much for your input. I will try it. I am pretty sure it is at 1/2 a week but will check and modify....as per my other comment, looking back at what I ate yesterday that could also be the culprit (didn't think about it until a little bit ago) that is my biggest hurdle (time management to ensure healthy meals)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    it can also take awhile for your body to "get used to" the new activity level.
    if you meal prep, it will save time in the long run

i have something similar and when i do extra exercise i can be exhausted to the point of falling asleep while walking

good news is the body does recover and get used to the new activity level
    this is all anecdotal and i have no science
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I have issues sleeping when I do a hard run at night. No issue if I do it in the morning, but I was in a run class last night doing sprints and had a horrible sleep. Seems to be a pattern.

Googled and found this page.

https://trainright.com/cant-sleep-hard-workout-race/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you learn that you might have overdone it even though you felt ok at the time. So if you're overly fatigued afterwards, especially given your health condition, then take that as a sign to possibly back off and pace your self a bit more gradually.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Strength training makes me sleepy too. I can do cardio, strength circuits, or interval-type exercise and feel totally wiped during it, fine later. But there's something about strength training that makes me sleepy (and hungry) several hours later, particularly when lifting heavy (~2-6 rep range). My Google-fu has told me it might be CNS (central nervous system) fatigue. Not to the point of overtraining or anything, just that heavy lifting is more taxing to the whole nervous system. I don't think its abnormal. I just figure its part of recovery and take a really satisfying nap when I can.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. Sometimes I completely crash after my workout, and I mean sleep 4-5 hours. It could be tiredness catching up to you, or your body is just demanding a rest.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    MFredman wrote: »
    Let me start by saying that years ago I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue (and never bought into it) However I have just recently started working out (maybe 3 weeks ago) for the most part I have felt pretty good afterwards. Most of it has also been high intensity / cardio (Bootcamp, HIIT, etc) Today I did strength training and yes I sweat, yes I was shaking but don't feel like over did it BUT I am feeling super tired. Not fatigued just down right sleepy...anyone else ever have this happen...I had an egg sandwich before the work out and a mediterranean salad after and plenty of water....

I'm over 60, and don't object to admitting I sometimes like a nap after getting home from the gym or a bike ride. In general, I have much more energy and pep than I used to after dropping a bunch of weight and getting on a steady exercise regimen. But my naps are sacred, LOL.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It happened to me a while back. I fell asleep sitting up. It was a new workout and pretty intense. Haven't had it happen since. I am usually energized after a workout.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    If you're doing high intensity exercise day after day, that can be pretty exhausting, especially if you're new to working out (or have just restarted after an extended break) One thing to consider might be alternating high intensity days with more moderate steady-state days, especially if you're putting strength training into the mix, too. People tend to feel super tired if they're in fact exhausted! ;)

If you just started working out regularly around 3 weeks ago, the fatigue may be a sign that overdoing it is catching up with you. I'd normally suggest that someone new to exercise ramp up slowly, start with every other day, maybe a casual walk or something on the off days, then gradually increase. Starting right off with intense daily exercise can create a risk of exhaustion, burn-out, etc. Overdoing can actually sap your energy for daily life, leading you to burn fewer calories in routine activity, effectively wiping out some of those exercise calories.

The right exercise program should leave you feeling energized for daily life, not wrung out. As you get stronger and fitter, you can do more, in terms of intensity, duration, frequency, and variety, if you can fit more into your life and still maintain a good overall life balance (i.e., not just fitness, but work, family, social, other hobbies, etc.).