Frustrated

Options
Ever since I quit smoking I fighting more with maintaining my weight I exercise at least 3 times or 4 times a week I have to be careful as I have joint issues and so on but I can do low impact exercise. I cannot get my inches of fat around my stomach. I been trying the keto diet I tried this one here but I just don't know what else I can try I do combinations of cardio and toning, I also do a fair amount of walking but still nothing, I do like sugar but I try hard not to eat much. Cookies are my weakness. The problem is I get hungriest morning and then late at night and I know I am not suppose to eat then late, I would like to know what I can try besides cookies, to curb the craving? I eat veggies and meat at dinner, lunch is usually some chicken or tuna and maybe cauliflower mashed. I am trying to keep the carbs around 50 not too much higher.

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How are you doing hitting your calorie goal every day? Are you using MFP (or gym machine) estimates for calories burned from exercise? If so, are you eating all of those calories back? Those estimates can be way too high so you might want to try only eating back half and see how that works for you.

In terms of losing fat in the stomach, you can’t spot reduce, but if you stick with it, as you lose body fat, you’ll lose fat there too. I’m going through the same thing. Seems to go away everywhere but there. Frustrating, but part of the process. It’ll happen.
  • Shyla57
    Shyla57 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP what is that? I pick alot of random stuff on u tube I do different things cardio, and mix it up with an stuff, and I don't spot reduce as I know that won't work. I can't use less calories as I don't eat the 1000 or 1200 that I suppose to so I had to up it. I trying to find higher calorie things, that have low sugar and carbs, but that's tricky. I have not lost since I started so and its been at least a couple of months or more since I started back exercising on a regular basis.
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MFP = MyFitnessPal

;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you're finding it hard to lose anyway, why not stop losing on purpose minus the added stress? Have you considered maintaining your weight for a while and not paying too much attention to carbs? The stress of quitting smoking coupled with the stress of attempting to diet can be a recipe for spinning your wheels. Low carbing is also known to create more stress for some people. Take a diet break for a month or two. Set your calories to maintenance and eat up to that level. Try to engage in activities that you feel help you manage stress. You can always get back to dieting when you feel ready.
  • bstanb01
    bstanb01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To help break my candy/desserts addiction, I ate protein bars because they're still sweet, but they keep you fuller for longer than a cookie. It's not a super healthy substitution, but I started wanting protein instead of sweets late at night. I also started drinking decaf coffee at night if I knew I had enough to eat, but still wanted to munch on something
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Random thoughts.

You don’t say how much, if anything you are trying to lose. The inches around your middle may have more to do with fitness than weight loss.

Cookies. I succeeded at weight loss in large part by battling my sweet tooth to a draw. I beat the donut. I tried to repeat my donut success to beat the cookie. I could not beat the cookie. I think cookies are a special problem.

For me, cookies are like potato chips. Unless it’s one giant cookie, I’m not even slowing down until I eat about 8-10. 100s of calories in a matter of a couple of minutes.

What helped? Fruit. I eat 2-3 servings per day. Apples, blueberries, pineapple, melon, occasionally a banana. Before I started WL, I rarely ate fruit.

Dark chocolate. Occasionally. I don’t keep it in the house. I have to go buy it. Plan for it, count it.

Ice cream. I eat about 100-120 calories of ice cream nearly every evening. Planed for and counted. If I eat a cookie, or that birthday cake at the office- no ice cream. Ice cream wins 99% of the time. I just have to stay away from cookies, they don’t work for me.

Eating at night. It’s a myth. I lost a lot and it’s been gone for years. I always snack after dinner. All planned and counted. Frequently folks go on an austerity eating program, then when they are tired and uncomfortably hungry in the evening they run off the rails. Then incorrectly define the problem as an inability to suffer through the night.

Set your calories high enough to live with and plan well. Avoid the cookie- just my opinion.
  • Shyla57
    Options
    Ty for all the advice
  • Shyla57
    Options
    Frustrated
  • angeleve6
    angeleve6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is a gym by my house which was started by a dietitian and her husband whos a personal trainer. They helped me lose 50 pounds. I went from size 14 pants to size 8. basically focus on eating healthy foods, nothing processed and stay within your calorie limit. For me, my fitness pal set my calories at 1500 a day but after getting an analysis done at the gym the correct calories were closer to 1300. So i would say subtract 200 calories from whatever MFP tells you. Then try to lower your intake of high calorie bad foods. Instead of whole eggs I do egg whites since egg whites are 17 calories vs a whole egg at about 80. I can eat more scrambled egg whites with veggies and meat for breakfast and be full longer.

Friend me and msg if you want more details/help
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories and logging your food? Regardless, this is a great post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • asugar1390
    asugar1390 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hope you’re doing well - support??
  • SarahVanLoo
    SarahVanLoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take a break from television, or at least avoid cooking channels. Advertisers spend years researching the best way to get you to buy, buy, buy. If you struggle with a food obsession, food advertisements are likely to make a subconscious impression. Either you'll run for the kitchen when a picture of a juicy hamburger flashes across the screen, or you'll buy more than you need the next time you're at the store.
  • RjMaan
    RjMaan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well i would not recommend you to start smoking again :smile: , but i will suggest you to have proper diet and have walk on daily bases.
  • Shyla57
    Options
    Motivated
  • Shyla57
    Options
    I walk lots and exercise 3 to 4 times a week usually 20 to 40 minutes depends how I feel