Resistance ALWAYS before cardio?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I'll admit it, I've been awful with my resistance training and it's holding back my fat loss, so I'm making a point of including it in my training plans.

Though traditionally we were encouraged to do our cardio first so we were fully warmed up before attempting resistance training, the latest thinking is we should do resistance training first, before our muscles are tired, so we can lift heavier and maintain best form.

However, my main goal at the moment is running - I'm training for a half marathon. I'd be lifting in the same sessions as I do my shorter mid-week runs, which include sprint repeats and a tempo session that can really take it out of me.

As running is my main goal, should I do my running sessions first so I can put my all into them, or go with the latest research recommending doing weights first?

Replies

• Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump... I want to know that too :)
  • JasonsWeightliftingWife
    Options
    I would say do the marathon training first, that is your main focus. I am not a personal trainer, but I know that I have discussed this many times with my P.T. friends and they say always do what you are focusing on first. If it's weights, warm up, then do weights and do the fat burning later (cardio).

I think that because you are focusing on the marathon, amost of the energy should be done on that training.

Just my opinion.

Good for you, I haven't done a marathon! Good LUCK!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was a sprinter in University and I still always did my strength training before my running training. So I would try it with the strength training first for 3-4 weeks, if you don't like the results switch it back to run first lift later.
  • amydales
    amydales Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely do the strength training first. Not only because most experts tell you that but from my experience I would hold back on my running speed so I would have strength left to do weights. Doing better strength training has helped my half marathon training considerably and in my opinion kept me injury free--knock on wood! Stronger your body is, the faster you will become... Good luck! PS: Lower weights, higher reps if you are trying to tone and trim. Also, a low calorie protein shake right after your WO(within 30 min) would be a great addition to you diet.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Great advice and shared experience here, thanks everyone!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so cardio as a warm-up is fine, you know, 15 to 20 minutes of moderate cardio before doing resistance. But you don't want to work to long before resistance, because you'll deplete your glycogen at the muscles sites prematurely, which could give you a false failure threshold, meaning you'll think you're working to failure, but you're really just depleting muscle glycogen, which really defeats the purpose of resistance training.

If you're serious about marathon training, then on days you do your runs, just do your runs, and on days where you aren't running, do your resistance, don't mix the two days, or if you do, give yourself plenty of time in between to recover muscle glycogen.

PM me if you want more detail.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Ooh, very interesting, thanks!

My problem is my running programme is getting increasingly difficult as I'm building towards a goal rather than being in a regular routine at the moment. I'm reluctant to weight train either side of my most difficult sessions which are Wednesday sprints and Sunday LSR as they leave me completely dead!

Before might not be as bad as after, which is when my muscles are screaming at me they need to repair. I'll experiment a bit and report back.
  • ratmist
    ratmist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Currently, I space it out so that one day I do weights/resistance training, and the next day I run (I'm also working on a running goal - a 10K.) This gives my body time to repair between the exercises, so I don't put too much strain on muscles and ligaments.

That said, I know that if I was to combine them, I'd lose weight faster. My GP has said my current regime is fine, but if I want to combine it, I should not do too much resistance training before running at this stage, simply because my muscles and ligaments are not yet strong enough to handle too much strain. So he recommended doing 1/2 the normal amount of resistance training before the run, if I wanted to incorporate both in the same workout session. Over time, he said I could build it up, but not at the very beginning, as the chances of injury are much higher.

However you combine them, whether in one workout session or over two, you will see a marked improvement in your running as the strength training improves the strength in your muscles and ligaments. The best resistance training to help your running is basically all lower body. Emphasize your work on your abdomen and legs; think endless squats, lunges, situps, deadlifts, leg extensions, etc.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is the main issue I'd stick with watching what u eat do cardiovascular exercises,keep your SUGARS low ,SAT.FATS LOW,AND PROTEIN & FIBER HIGH and lots of water generally its best to lose fat before working on muscle mass,if you are strict on calories I suggest using whey isolate protein drinks to keep the fat burning without losing muscle at the same time ,I did my goal in 8 months 103 pounds to be exact,74 with myfitnesspal and diet and a lot of cardio played out best to start as my fat% decreased I then also focused on building muscle,& generally if muscle is the goal resistance 1st then cardio,but I would stick with cardio as it burns more calories than strength exercises. Good luck ,stay positive
  • BerryH
    Options
    More great ideas, thanks! And Keola, you look GREAT on your regime!

Thinking about it, my goal is to shift my body composition, so shed fat while building muscle. But as the half marathon is looming, I think fat loss is the priority of the two for now. Lugging all this excess weight around is doing me no good at all.

I'm going to start my resistance routine on my three non-running days (today's the day!) and see how it goes.

I realised my biggest fear for this change is relinquishing the calorie burn of cardio as I do rely on eating back my exercise calories, though logically I know building muscle will boost fat loss at least as much. I'm also reluctant to up the protein with drinks etc. as that's less calories for real food. But you know what, if I skip the junk and the booze I'll have more left for what my body really needs.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    A slightly different opinion here, but I don't at all disagree w/ weights before cardio... but...

I was a distance swimmer my whole life. Usually we'd do "dryland" prior to swimming (dryland is basically HIIT out of the water), then we'd swim, then we'd do weights. Now these were different types of weights... high reps at low weights for longer lean muscle.

Currently, because of the endurance type of person I am, I CANNOT get maxed out on lifting unless I'm more warmed up than your average joe. I have to get my heart rate up to 'cardio levels' 2-3 times prior to lifting. All of us (no matter how out of shape we may be) are either sprinters (shorter, compact, quick muscles) or endurance (long lean muscle that takes awhile to get going... but when it gets going... watch out!).

So I'll say to each his/her own. Figure out whats best for you and stick w/ it. If you're more on the endurance side of things (like running), then you can still do the weights w/out going crazy and maxing out every set.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I realised my biggest fear for this change is relinquishing the calorie burn of cardio as I do rely on eating back my exercise calories, though logically I know building muscle will boost fat loss at least as much. I'm also reluctant to up the protein with drinks etc. as that's less calories for real food. But you know what, if I skip the junk and the booze I'll have more left for what my body really needs.

Sry, one more thing since I just read this part... I COMPLETELY understand what you mean. I've been monitoring my HR in an addictive fashion while transitioning to a more lifting oriented workout and I burn the same or more than I do when I'm in cardio mode. Nothing burns calories (or fat) more than your muscles. The more muscles you have, the more cals you need to eat. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it, I've been awful with my resistance training and it's holding back my fat loss, so I'm making a point of including it in my training plans.

Though traditionally we were encouraged to do our cardio first so we were fully warmed up before attempting resistance training, the latest thinking is we should do resistance training first, before our muscles are tired, so we can lift heavier and maintain best form.

However, my main goal at the moment is running - I'm training for a half marathon. I'd be lifting in the same sessions as I do my shorter mid-week runs, which include sprint repeats and a tempo session that can really take it out of me.

As running is my main goal, should I do my running sessions first so I can put my all into them, or go with the latest research recommending doing weights first?

I'd call it more "cliches" than "research". Actually, there is research that shows that doing cardio before resistance training results in the largest amount of post-exercise "afterburn", but, from a practical standpoint, none of it make any difference.

If you want to emphasize the quality of your running, you should run first. Running first will not prevent you from lifting heavy. Nor will it compromise your form.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    More great ideas, thanks! And Keola, you look GREAT on your regime!

Thinking about it, my goal is to shift my body composition, so shed fat while building muscle. But as the half marathon is looming, I think fat loss is the priority of the two for now. Lugging all this excess weight around is doing me no good at all.

I'm going to start my resistance routine on my three non-running days (today's the day!) and see how it goes.

There is no reason why you would have to "up the protein" just because you start doing more lifting. If you are eating an appropriate level of protein at this point, that should be fine.

There is so much unnecessary chatter and static on this subject that I think it affects people's brains.

You will get more benefit from just regularly lifting weights-any way you want--than all of this other stuff combined. Just maintaining a regular routine will account for about 98% of your improvement -- all this peripheral crap --when to lift, eating protein, etc--makes up the additional 2% of improvement AT BEST.
  • joyisaacs
    joyisaacs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, Amy!