Fat calves ..... learn to live with them?

Options
bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
First off..... I realize you can not spot reduce when it comes to weight lose.

But I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue.

I've lost almost 110 lbs over the last 13-14 months and have gone from a size 24 to a size 12.

I have about another 20 lbs to reach my initial goal of 160 lbs.

And now with the wonderful summer weather it's shorts and capri season.

My waist fits the size 12 perfectly..... but I'm finding my calves aren't.

Jeans and capri are tight.

I mainly walk and bike for exercise.

So..... has anyone lost significant inches off their calves?

Is there hope for me?

Or do I just wait for wide leg jeans and gaucho pants to come back in style?

Replies

• Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration, even at 130lbs I had to buy wide calf boots :(
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who has larger thighs and calves. She is tiny on the upper body and waist. It's just in her genetics, she doesn't need to lose weight.

Thankfully we are all unique. We all have our particular challenges. Mine is my belly if I'm even a little over weight.

I'd say you're lucky that you love biking since your legs must be your strong suit!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    First off CONGRATS on your weight lost so far! 110lbs is amazing!

I lost significant inches off my calves. I simply switched from an active walking job (sales/retail), to a desk job. What I thought was fat on my calves turned out to be muscle mass. And, I lost it after a year or so of not being active at my job anymore. I know this because while my weight stayed the same, my legs got smaller. Now my boots fit again, but I wish I would have realized there was more muscle mass to my "fat" legs then I had originally thought. So in other words, try not to worry about it too much. As you lose more, the fat will fall off where it will. With walking and biking, you could have more muscle then you think.

For calf friendly clothing options? Bermuda shorts are forgiving to the thighs but do not cover the calves. Maxi skirts are comfy, and overall flattering. And, boot cut jeans are starting to become more available again. Which I'm happy about because seeing skinny jeans everywhere where a girl just wants her boot cut jeans is really damn annoying, lol. Also, Curvy fit jeans may have more room overall? They are looser in the thighs, and that may mean they are looser in the knees/calf area if thats where they are tight for you.

FWIW I wouldnt say you are genetically doomed. Some people have bigger body parts then others and that's not a bad thing. Rock your shapely calves and wear them with pride!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I doubt they're fat...they're muscular. They may have a bit of a layer of fat over them, but I can pretty much guarantee you that their size is mostly muscle. My wife is the same, she has genetically muscular calves...so do I.

Also, what he said. He said the point I was trying to get to with fewer words. lol.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mine are the same. its just how im built.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The more I biked, the more developed my calves got. I figured if that was the case I must be doing something right!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! I'm agreeing with cwolfman. I bet they're muscle. Some people are genetically "gifted that way", and then you cycle on top of that? Well, there you go!

I hit the genetic thigh and calf jackpot, and after losing 90 pounds, all I managed was a half inch loss when it came to my calves.

Flex them and check it out for yourself. I have the same problem with skinny jeans and gave up on boots ages ago.
  • KcRavassa
    KcRavassa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Genetics for the win! Same boat here and not much you can do about it. Be proud to have semi-effortless calf muscles I guess?
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm the same. I always did carry my weight mostly on my legs and bum. Since I've lost weight my bum's gone flat(ish) but I still have chunky thighs and calves. It's just one of those things. I would rather have chunky legs than super skinny ones though.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have huge calf muscles. It's not fat, though, they are pure muscle. I've learned to embrace them and love wide calf boots.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 55 lbs so far and almost none of that has come from my legs. I've been getting into weight lifting and calves seem to be one of those areas that are especially dependent on genetics. So we might as well embrace it - at least we won't be stuck doing millions of calf lifts to get that definition some people struggle with!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I have genetically skinny calves (thanks Dad) and no amount of running, biking, or calf raises will do anything. I'm just stuck with my chicken legs from the knee down...
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    OP: I wouldn't recommend it but, after I had rt foot and ankle surgery on 2 separate occasions, I had to walk w/crutches and a plastic boot that covered my foot & calf for 3-4 months (twice), which caused my calf to atrophy by about an inch in circumference.

Even after 2 yrs of weight lifting (including a lot of single leg calf raises) and lots of hiking, my rt calf is still noticeably smaller than my left calf to this day.

That's the only way that I know of which will allow you to "spot reduce" the size of your calves but, as I said, I would NOT recommend it.

;)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it can be frustrating. My mother, sister, and I all have "cankles." None of us are overweight but it seems like on everyone else's calves the Achilles tendon is visible, however not us. Even on the lower end of my normal BMI range, I can't see them. We're all built differently and sometimes body composition is just the way it is.

Yup...me and my sister have the same issues thanx to dearly departed Dad!
  • sauronseye
    sauronseye Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I don't have an issue with calves, but I do have an issue with wide shoulders and big breasts. Most shirts with buttons are a no-go for me. They just don't fit. I need to be underweight to fit most of the store-bought shirts which I don't want! A lot of the dresses and summer shirts that are revealing and/or tie around the neck look awful on me (may I add I have very strong arms to boot?). It's a challenge for me to dress nicely and not look bulky.

What you can do is find a good seamstress and get custom made trousers, and get used to your own built because you cannot change it. Most of us aren't perfectly 'aligned', we have our good parts and 'bad' parts. You can also wear more skirts and dresses.

Congrats on your weight loss, too!
  • xmissxamyx
    xmissxamyx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    At least both your calves are in it together I have one regular sized one and the other my left is a good 2 inches bigger than the other!
    It's such a pain in the *kitten* because jeans and stuff will fit well on my right hand side but be tighter and less well fitted on the left. I put it down to me being left handed and my left side is my more dominant side I always lead with my left leg and I think that's why it's bigger, it does 80% of the work. No matter what my weight it's always been an issue...I even once split a pair of skinny jeans at the seam just on the left calf! :#