HELP! Need Kid's Birthday ideas quick like....

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
My son's 5th birthday party is tomorrow. We were having it at our private beach which has a playground, etc. But, it's now forecast to thunderstorm all day.

We're moving the party inside and I need ideas for fun games/entertainment. Whatcha got??

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Do you have a theme for the party?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Water Baloons! Nothing better for boys than getting dirty in the rain.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Look at the Minute to Win It website. We did my daughters whole party with those games and the kids had a great time!

Or look around and see what you have to make an obstacle course (carrying cotton balls on a wooden spoon, or picking up beans with tongs and carrying them to a jar on the other side of the room)
  • FinallyFit28
    FinallyFit28 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do a scavenger hunt...my son was into dinosaurs so I used that to hide everywhere and believe me I had tons to hide (big & small). For my daugter we did a luau and everyone loved the limbo contest. There's always musical chairs. I have tons of ideas but see if you like any of those. Good luck and have fun!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you have a big place, an indoor scavenger hunt would be fun.
  • rtholgash
    rtholgash Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Plan some sort of Treasure hunt indoors.....have them scavenger around the house looking for things to collect. For my son't 5th, we did an Indiana Jones theme scavenger hunt. Go to the dollar store and buy all kinds of cheap bugs, snakes, and things like that. It was fun and the kids loved it. They also sell some sort of cute bags there for the kids to collect their stuff in....
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    We did a lego party when my son turned 6. We did lego contests (biggest tower, best car etc...), we had a lego pinata, we did a scavenger hunt in the house where we made a list of clues and they collected the legos as they followed the clues. And I made a cake that looked like a lego. It kept them busy!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you guys are good!!!! i forgot all about things like musical chairs :) how fun!

scavenger hunt is also an awesome idea.

"theme" is just loosely super heros - that's what the cake & cupcakes are decorated like. but, i quit buying all the fancy plates etc. cuase it's just a waste of money to me. Yep, i'm that mom *LOL*
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are one of the "Protective" Moms, so knife fights probably won't make the cut. How about Make a superhero costume contest with cheap and readily available materials. Foam swords were always fun too, and you can make them with swimming pool noodles.
    Paper airplanes can be fun too.
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    you can also check out pinterest.com for ideas. It's the BEST website for inspiration!
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Have stations for coloring, playing with playdough, decorating cookies with candy and icing for when you want the kids to sit down and not run around. I love the scavenger hunt ideas.
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Since it's going to rain, do a "find the worm" contest. Put two kids next to each other in front of a table, put paper plates in front of them, put three gummy worms on the plate. Spoon some ground-up oreos on top of the worms. Then spray all of that with whipped cream. Then, have the kids compete to get all the worms out just using their mouths and not using their hands.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    How about a keeping quiet contest?
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    How about a keeping quiet contest?

Wishful thinking! :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    My son's 5th birthday party is tomorrow. We were having it at our private beach which has a playground, etc. But, it's now forecast to thunderstorm all day.

We're moving the party inside and I need ideas for fun games/entertainment. Whatcha got??
    Never go wrong with Twister. Also if you can afford it, hire a clown/magician.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are one of the "Protective" Moms, so knife fights probably won't make the cut. How about Make a superhero costume contest with cheap and readily available materials. Foam swords were always fun too, and you can make them with swimming pool noodles.
    Paper airplanes can be fun too.

:laugh:

You could make capes out of table cloths too, if you have time.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3270595/Superhero-Cape-directions
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    We did facepainting when my son was younger--spideman, batman, etc. which would fit in with the superhero thing, Others went with skulls--but it was fun! Also--a pinata (something they can HIT!) was always a good time.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Boys like the gross stuff...

Find the eye: spaghetti noodles cooked with red dye in the water, toss the noodles with oil, put in a big bowl and put a peeled grape in the bottom and have them find it with their hands. Quickest one wins.

Worms & dirt: gummy worm in ground up cookies and whipped cream on a paper plate...must eat all (no hands) and leave the worm on the plate. Quickest one wins.

Nerf basketball if you have a large empty room

Watermelon eatting contest...using no hands.

Make your own play doh
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My niece got some letter foam art from a craft store and the kids all glued their names on a door decoration. It was cute and they didn't make that much of a mess. She put news paper down. Cheap and Takes a while so you don't have to come up with too many other Ideas.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    if you have some plastic water bottles ready for recycling you can make them into personal Lava Lamps!~!~!

Fill the bottle a little over half way with veg oil and then the rest of the way with water. (you can do this before the kids come so you dont have to worry about pouring stuff when they get there.) Then have different colord food coloring so each kid can pick their own color.... Put in about 10 drops into the bottle and let the kids drop in their magic tabs and watch the fun happen. (Magic tabs are Alka-Seltzer tablets broken into quarters)

You can get disposable pie pans to put under each bottle incase of any overflow lava. Dont let them add too many tablets at one time... you dont want any exploding bottles. After the excitment is over and the bubbles disappear you can cap the bottles and send them with the kids as party favors.