Good documentaries?

I am wondering if there are any documentaries out there that do not promote excluding fats or all carbs or grains or any particular food group. Are there any that aren’t promoting keto or paleo or vegan? Also that don’t have controversial doctors or chefs? Looking for something promoting more whole, unprocessed foods. I would like to find something with good research to maybe watch with my family. I like Daniel and Kelli’s fitnessblender mentality if you’ve seen their grocery haul video. Non-processed, whole foods.hope this makes sense....

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    That's going to be hard... everything is produced with, at least, a bias (even ones promoting whole, unprocessed foods). At worst, they are produced to drive opinion/belief.

Are you looking for something informative/educational, or are you looking for something family-friendly that will support your beliefs/preferences?
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    That's going to be hard... everything is produced with, at least, a bias (even ones promoting whole, unprocessed foods). At worst, they are produced to drive opinion/belief.

Are you looking for something informative/educational, or are you looking for something family-friendly that will support your beliefs/preferences?

Those are good points. I would appreciate educational, but I guess I already have a bias of my own.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I'm not sure how interested your family is, but would you consider watching a few different ones, from a few different biases, then having a dialog about pros and cons of each? Personally, I feel there is merit to most eating approaches... you just have to be able to sift through the propaganda to find it. Then you can decide what applies to you and what doesn't, what you like and what you don't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I don't think I've ever seen a documentary without some bias and the vast majority are pushing one agenda or another...not just nutrition documentaries either...pretty much any documentary.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    For entertainment value, I suggest Supersize Me followed immediately by Fat Head.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Chef's Table or a similar documentary or documentary series. People need to learn how to eat nutritious foods because they can look and taste amazing, not because it's the only option when trying to avoid "scary" foods. How finding quality ingredients can be exciting because they make quality dishes, not because they're free of toxinz or have some magic cancer fighting ingredient with a long name.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Chef's Table or a similar documentary or documentary series. People need to learn how to eat nutritious foods because they can look and taste amazing, not because it's the only option when trying to avoid "scary" foods. How finding quality ingredients can be exciting because they make quality dishes, not because they're free of toxinz or have some magic cancer fighting ingredient with a long name.

Yeah, I loved the episode about Jeong Kwan
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Not exactly a 'documentary' per se, but Eric Helms' Nutrition Pyramid is a great place to start - and without all the woo, propaganda and junk science you'll see in any Netflix garbage (multi-part series, begins here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk