Lambrusco, anyone?

Options
veracruz
veracruz Posts: 104 Member
I would love to say that I'm one of those people who ENJOY a glass of red wine. . . but I'm not. (and believe me, I've tried to convince myself) However, a couple of weeks ago I did have a small glass of Lambrusco at a friend's party. It was DELICIOUS! I am aware of the health benefits from drinking red wine but don't know if this sweet, cold nectar-of-the-gods counts as such? Does anyone know?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    :heart: Lambrusco! :drinker:
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just saw this article on Livestrong about Lambrusco. Sounds good, I'd say go for it!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/319172-calories-in-riunite-lambrusco/
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't know either but Lambrusco is want got me drinking wine. Mmmm!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I hope this is not taken the wrong way - but if you like it then have some in moderation but don't have "any" alcoholic beverage because it supposedly has health benefits. i see just as many studies say the cons far outweigh the pros. All alcohol is toxic to us - in moderation it's all good but we shouldn't try to convince ourselves we "should" have it for the health benefits.

And that's coming from a red wine lover LOL
  • Cchappell10
    Options
    Red Wine is actually not too bad for you. Not nearly the calories and such as white wine, and is full of antioxidents. I am on South Beach Diet, and Red Wine is actually allowed on the diet. I personally love Lambrusco as well, I drink the Riunite brand, which is great that I like it so much, cuz it's cheap!! Like others here, Lambrusco was the first Red Wine that I actually enjoyed, and is still my most common wine. I love to drink a glass while making my healthy dinners. :-D Go for it! Enjoy!

Edit... YES, I definitely agree with WOzzie as well. Though it does have antioxidents and such, it is true that that does not mean there aren't plenty of bad to go along with it. And all things should always be enjoyed in *moderation*.

A tid bit of info though, personally if I've hit a plateau, then have a glass of red wine in the evening, my scale usually moves in the morning. :)
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't know either but Lambrusco is want got me drinking wine. Mmmm!

Me too!!
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use the the Riunite Lambrusco to make a red wine sangria. A bottle of Lambrusco (large :)), 1 cup of light minute maid lemon aid, 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange. When ready to serve, I add a splash of diet lemon lime soda. Delish.
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hope this is not taken the wrong way - but if you like it then have some in moderation but don't have "any" alcoholic beverage because it supposedly has health benefits. i see just as many studies say the cons far outweigh the pros. All alcohol is toxic to us - in moderation it's all good but we shouldn't try to convince ourselves we "should" have it for the health benefits.

And that's coming from a red wine lover LOL

No worries - I totally understand what you're saying. I am purely a social drinker and not even a frequent one at that. However, if I am "in the mood" for something to sip with dinner, I'd rather make a "heart-healthy" choice rather than have a drink just to have a drink.

Thanks for the info, everyone! It's nice to know there are "healthier" options out there.

Salud!