Question about calorie counts for fatty meats.

Options
Ziaki
Ziaki Posts: 18 Member
I was wondering if the calorie counts for fatty meats (mainly ground beef) take into account that you are cooking off and draining a good portion of the fat.

I got 3 pounds of 85% ground beef yesterday because that's all the store had at the time. I drained off at least 4 ounces of grease if not more (i didn't get an exact measurement).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, I eat it up.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The package will contain info for everything edible in the package, so yes that will include the fat. You should be able to find entires that say “drained”, which would account for draining the fat, but it will obviously be an estimate (moreso than everything already is).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You want to search for a USDA entry for ground beef and it'll have a dropdown option for "yield from 1/4 lb raw meat". Here's the exact name in the database: Beef - Ground, 85% lean meat / 15% fat, patty, cooked, broiled (hamburger).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    You want to search for a USDA entry for ground beef and it'll have a dropdown option for "yield from 1/4 lb raw meat". Here's the exact name in the database: Beef - Ground, 85% lean meat / 15% fat, patty, cooked, broiled (hamburger).

They also have a specific tool for ground beef where you can easily swap between raw and various cooking methods, which appear to be drained.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/beef/show
  • Ziaki
    Ziaki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys!