Calling all portland-ers!

Options
Hello all,

Me and my fiance are moving to Portland in a couple weeks, and I'm so excited to leave the intense heat and humidity of the South East. I've heard it rains most of the time in Portland, but people kind of just get used to it. I'd like to take up jogging, but the rainy factor is intimidating.

Portland looks like such a healthy and green city, I'm excited to live there.

Any Portland-ers out there? What do you do to stay healthy and fit in the rainy city? What do you recommend to a new comer?

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Welcome...Portland here. I exercise in the house when it rains or we wear water proof gear. I don't get used to it being from So Cal, but more outdoorsy people love it. You'll do fine. It is one of the cleanest big cities and they are so freaking here that it actually gets annoying to me sometimes...but someone has to do it. :)
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hi! i've been in portland for about a year (i moved here from northern california) i love it here! yes it rains a lot, but think more drizzle most of the year instead of downpour. you are moving here at a great time though, they say the summers in portland help you get through the winter.

you'll notice there are TONS of fun outdoorsy activities here (and indoor ones too!) there's also a ton of food options (some healthy, some not so healthy)

so welcome, i'm sure you'll love it here! do you know what area of portland you are moving to yet?
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just south of Portland Oregon by a few miles. You can still jog in the rain. Some even enjoy it more than when it is not raining. Just need rain gear.
  • searbear1980
    Options
    Welcome! I have lived in Oregon my whole life. We go for walks and hikes rain or shine most the time. If it is raining too bad I workout inside my house. I find I prefer walking in the rain over the heat.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was born and raised in the Portland area. In terms of rainfall......we are actually similar to other cities......what kills me is the number of grey days NOT the rain. It's depressing to me, however, others have no problem with it.

I work out indoors if the weather is bad, but really it's rarely really, really cold, so being outdoors isn't much of an issue.

BTW, I escape to Central Oregon to get my sunshine on throughout the year. Make sure you make it out there and check it out, it's wonderful! :)
  • comiclady24
    Options
    Awesome! I'm moving to an area just outside the city, called Tigard. Looks beautiful from the pics I've seen!

Can't wait!
  • starpi22
    starpi22 Posts: 74
    Options
    I was born and raised in Portland, you are going to love it there! I miss it so much sometimes. I always loved to hike. There is a huge forest right in the heart of the city with many trails and sites to see. Along the way make sure to spend some time in the Rose Garden and the Japanese gardens, I swear I would walk around there for hours. Good luck on your move!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Portland here ....but the other coast. :) Just had to chime in anyway