Popcorn

Options

Replies

• sauronseye
    sauronseye Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have popcorn a few times a week. If you do it on the stovetop it's not too bad. Now the butter and sugar and cajun seasoning I add p r o b a b l y isn't necessary.

So good though.

120 grams of stovetop made popcorn have 600 calories. :D I was shocked too and checked multiple sources, it is true. :( I don't have a machine so can't air-pop them, this is my only alternative.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as long as you stay away from too much butter/oil, you could do much worse than to choose popcorn as a snack. It's great calorie-wise and so tasty!
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    sauronseye wrote: »
    I have popcorn a few times a week. If you do it on the stovetop it's not too bad. Now the butter and sugar and cajun seasoning I add p r o b a b l y isn't necessary.

So good though.

120 grams of stovetop made popcorn have 600 calories. :D I was shocked too and checked multiple sources, it is true. :( I don't have a machine so can't air-pop them, this is my only alternative.

I use a tbsp of coconut oil and 1/4 cup of popcorn, its around 300 calories.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i try to stay away! i can eat a serving for 15 people at one time! LOL
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn as well. Mostly just plain butter and salt popcorn though. Never really liked other flavors.
    Pop secret makes a 100 calorie mini bag that is just the right size, and you can eat the whole bag.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I cannot control it at home in any amount, so now its one of my special occasion foods. I usually eat a whole child size bucket by myself on movie night, which is usually every other month or so, and I prelog it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    love love love popcorn
  • RjMaan
    RjMaan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Popcorn are very delicious but i don't think they results in weight gain.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    YUP! Popcorn is my fave! But I try to pop it on the stove/old school with some avocado oil and/or a smidge of coconut oil :-) Once in awhile i buy some fancy stuff in a bag, but prefer it fresh.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm surprised by this,I eat jerky during my work shift to keep the hunger away and it does a great job of keeping me full with just a few pieces,I'll admit tho I do love it >:)

It surprises me too and I don't have a good explanation for it. It has to be some weird mental thing like my brain wants a steak and when it sees a beef tidbit it screams "give me the rest!"
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Someone at my work keeps making popcorn in the afternoon amd you can smell it through the entire office. They are the most evil person in the entire planet.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    We just got an air popper, so curious on trying that out and reliving the 70s.

This made me laugh. Are hot air poppers a 70’s thing? I have one, and it’s probably from the 70’s. Use it all the time. Works like a champ. Hope you enjoy!

OP, it’s easy to overeat. Having to pop it (vs opening a bag) helps but isn’t foolproof. I log, weigh kernels then pop. And then sometimes I pop more, but usually I can stick to what I logged. The first time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Someone at my work keeps making popcorn in the afternoon amd you can smell it through the entire office. They are the most evil person in the entire planet.

My ex-boss agrees: I once worked someplace where during new employee orientation we were told microwaving popcorn was forbidden and there was also a sign on the microwave prohibiting this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm not interested in popcorn without a lot of butter and consequently it's a 400+ calories snack for me...that I don't find very filling at all. Therfore, I don't have it very often. However, I love it, so am going to have some tonight and blame MFP :lol:

Popcorn can sit in the cabinet for long periods of time and not tempt me. However, for trigger foods like REAL ice cream, I have to be very careful about bringing it into the house.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Popcorn has become a great substitute for me in place of chips. I find popcorn much more filling and satisfying. Chips on the other hand I can blow through a bag and still have an appetite.

We just got an air popper, so curious on trying that out and reliving the 70s.

I love my air popper. I've become quite adept at spraying the popcorn very finely with olive oil spray as it comes out while turning the bowl, and at using very little spray (I weigh the can before and after spraying to know how much I use, I usually use about 6-7 grams of spray). Kernel Season's makes a bunch of different flavor toppings to sprinkle on and toss with your popcorn and we love most of them. The kids are especially fond of the Bacon Cheddar and the Nacho Cheese.
  • misaloundra
    misaloundra Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do! Addicted to gummies! In the past, I could eat 1000 calories of gummies every. single. night. That's how I became obese, let's be honest. The result? I don't buy them anymore. It helps me a lot. When I crave gummies, I just can't fall into the bag if I don't have any.
  • mcorwinde23
    mcorwinde23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In America there is a brand called Pop Daddy. They have a hot and spicy mix that is to die for!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    sauronseye wrote: »

So good though.

You don't need an air-popper. Take a brown lunch bag. Put 1/4 cup kernels in the bag (no oil needed). Fold the top over a couple of times. Micro wave for about 2-1/2 minutes (listen for popping to stop). You can season it however you like. I like grated parmesan or Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce. Very low calorie.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I pop my popcorn on the stove. I don't have it as often as I used to. Still love it just not every day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Popcorn spikes my blood glucose more than I would expect for the stated carb count, so I have to be careful to measure it. I enjoy it but can't chow down on a whole microwave bag like I want to.

I like putting garam masala on mine.