Type 1 Diabetics

Options
Hey There...I have been on this site for a bout 3 weeks now and would like to get to know you and if there are any other type 1 diabetics out there please add me and lets exchange advice. I have been a diabetic for over 22 years now and I am not on the pump yet a little nervous too because I am unsure on how it works especially with exercising. Any advice??:flowerforyou:

Replies

• clareedear
    Options
    Hi I am type 1 and I've just applied for the pump! apparently it could take a further 5 years to get this right. (there is a high risk of bad hypos and/or death on this if the pump developed a fault)
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Hi! I've been Type 1 diabetic for 19 years. I've been using a pump for 3 years. I actually find it works so much better for exercise than shots. I need a lot less - or NO - insulin for exercise because exercise lowers my blood sugar so quickly. With the pump I can either stop giving myself my insulin temporarily, or I can decrease the amount by a certain percentage.

I know that the pump isn't the answer for everyone, and I know that it's just a tool and only works as well as you make it work, but honestly, it's changed my life. Pre-pump I was taking 6-7 shots a day and still had an A1c near 10. Since pumping it's decreased a TON. The last three A1cs I've had done were all under 6.0 (5.9, 5.6, and just this Tuesday 5.7).

I will be adding you as a friend :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Type 1 diabetic here for 32 years, on a pump, zero complications :-)
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Diabetes Family :) I have been type 1 for 15 years.

I have been using the pump for the past 6 years and love it. Since I use a heart rate monitor I disconnect my pump and leave it locked in the locker room. There is a slim chance the HRM and pump can mess each other up. I called Animas and asked and they really couldn't give me a 100% answer so I'm not risking it.

In case you don't know working out with weights raises your blood sugar because its anaerobic. So when I do my weights I also put 10 mins of cardio at the end to try to help balance it out. Example: The other day I worked out with my BS at 77 and didn't take any insulin for my no carb breakfast and went to workout and before lunch I was 98.
  • jlg05001
    jlg05001 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been type 1 for 17 years. I got the pump 7 years ago and LOVE it. it CAN be dangerous if you use it to eat whatever you want when you want, especially if your on a diet, but it can also be AMAZING if you use it the right way. Like many things, it's how you use it that matters.

On another note, has anyone had a more difficult time losing weight because of their diabetes?
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options

On another note, has anyone had a more difficult time losing weight because of their diabetes?
    extremely for me! I have only 12-14 loss since last Oct.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options

YES!
  • misterbilliam
    misterbilliam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great to see other type 1s on here! I notice a lot of people saying they are on pumps? this has never really been given to me as an option. I take it pumps are big in the US? feel free to add me!
  • winkerbean
    winkerbean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've had type one diabetes for 17 years now. I gained a lot of weight while on Lantus (would gain a pound every time my dosage went up a unit) and that is basically why I'm here - I haven't been able to drop the Lantus weight. I'm currently on a pump, the Animas Ping, and have had pretty good luck with it so far. The pump seemed scary at first, but after going through the training classes the fear subsided. :)
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Type 1 here and no pump - I just can't psychologically do it :frown:

I've also had a difficult time losing weight - I switched from Lantus to Levemir a while back and that may have helped a little bit..