Breakfast

Options

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    gcminton wrote: »
    I don't generally eat until 3-5 hours after I get up, but my go-to breakfast is egg flower soup or leftovers. If I need to just grab food and go I've got meal/snack bars, or a handful of salami and cheese. I've never really been into the idea that there's breakfast food and non-breakfast food. Leftover Chinese is probably my favorite breakfast. Can't really get any easier than that!

I love 'non-breakfast food' for breakfast... usually spaghetti or leftover cold chicken strips so I don't do that often haha. Today I seriously contemplated having some leftover baked chicken and roasted veggies but I decided to save it for lunch or dinner.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    jayemes wrote: »
    @wonder_years2010 why do you think it's the most important meal of the day? I'd think if you're a trainer you'd know that meal timing is unimportant?
    As for myself I never eat breakfast. Just coffee.

That’s not entirely true. Meal timing is somewhat important. For example, if you workout early in the morning, it would be beneficial to eat a breakfast that would provide sufficient energy for the workout.

Nah, I get my morning workout energy from my fat stores not from food, so even better!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @wonder_years2010 why do you think it's the most important meal of the day? I'd think if you're a trainer you'd know that meal timing is unimportant?

That’s not entirely true. Meal timing is somewhat important. For example, if you workout early in the morning, it would be beneficial to eat a breakfast that would provide sufficient energy for the workout.

Sure, in that context. I find eating ~100cal of something carbs before a run is useful. But if not, it’s entirely optional. I eat based on my own hunger patterns and functional requirements.

I do like a hearty cereal with whole milk. Or an egg and toast.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is oatmeal with a square of dark chocolate and some frozen raspberries. Because yum. If you like oatmeal there are lots of recipes online for overnight oats so you could just grab it in the morning.

If I'm going for an early run (oatmeal sits too heavy in the stomach) I'll grab a banana or half a bagel. And eat more afterwards.

For the hubby, I've been making batches of egg muffin cups with veggies and cheese, he just grabs a couple of those before work along with some fruit.
  • KcRavassa
    KcRavassa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not super hungry in the morning so I usually eat a couple greek yogurts at home and have a cup of coffee at work.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I almost exclusively work out in the morning and I never eat before I exercise. If I did I would puke all over my gym.
    The times I go in the evening I skip dinner and eat when I get home, however late that may be.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

If I eat less than two hours before a long run, my GI track rebels. So nope, it's not beneficial to get up exhaustingly early just to eat breakfast first.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no its not but thanks for perpetuating the woo.

ill keep my coffee, thanks.

lunch is at noon.
  • fluffyjames44
    fluffyjames44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Coffee, and a cup of kefir. I prep the night before and drink in the shower. The kefir, not the coffee. obvs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "As a trainer" - did you pick up this belief during your training?

If so please demand a refund. :smile:
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the OP was seriously looking for breakfast ideas or just posted to see what people would say about her "most important meal of the day" comment.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    For a quick breakfast, I do instant oatmeal. 60 seconds in the microwave and BOOM! I'll usually do either 2 eggs (on the mornings I have time) or mix up a whey protein shake while my oats are being nuked if I'm in a hurry. I can have a breakfast ready in literally 60 seconds (plus the time it takes me to open the package and dump it in a bowl!).
  • wonder_years2010
    wonder_years2010 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

If I eat less than two hours before a long run, my GI track rebels. So nope, it's not beneficial to get up exhaustingly early just to eat breakfast first.

I’m a group instructor and a personal trainer so I need something in me while I workout with the class. Just looking for new recipes and ideas. I can’t go 8 hours not having any calories to burn off while exercising the whole time. But cool for those that can! I was talking personally for me and getting ideas...
  • wonder_years2010
    Options
    It’s for me personally just looking for new ideas on those that DO eat breakfast...Everyone has different shifts but when I teach a class in the morning I like to have something to keep my energy up :)
  • wonder_years2010
    Options
    It’s important for me. Because I start some days at 6am teaching group classes and exercising with a big group on an empty stomach and my energy is a bit low. So just looking for some recipes or cool ideas from others. I wasn’t asking on when others eat necessary, I was just asking about their favorite quick breakfast food. I didn’t realize I would get a group of people arguing that breakfast isn’t needed for me.

• wonder_years2010
    Options

lunch is at noon.

Cool! Training for 10 hours with classes I get light headed on an empty stomach at 6am. So just looking for quick easy ideas and recipes. Getting others favorite breakfast food. Thanks for your 2 cents.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Since you're a trainer, I assume you have some control over your workspace. Stock a couple boxes of your preferred protein/energy bar and have one between classes as needed.

Amazon subscriptions can ensure that you stay stocked up.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

lunch is at noon.

Cool! Training for 10 hours with classes I get light headed on an empty stomach at 6am. So just looking for quick easy ideas and recipes. Getting others favorite breakfast food. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Then perhaps you should have phrased it, that for YOU breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Which may be rue. for YOU. But there is no scientific proven face that that is the case for EVERYONE. Im up at 4. at the gym at 7. dont get home till 7. You are not the only one with a long day.

And as a trainer, one would think you had a litany of resources available or advanced knowledge to pull upon.

Anyways, eat whatever you want for breakfast. What (or when) you eat is not important, as long as it works for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    51750d70fae9acb8efb77df70b9876d5.png