Why 1200 minimum??

Options
I’m frustrated by a plateau. I’ve used this app before to lose weight- so I know how to do it. This current plateau has me beyond frustrated- but I’m wondering if I can just drop my calories below 1200- here is my logic. They say not to go under 1200 if you’re a woman- but at my height and weight- my BMR is 1427. Another woman with the same BMI, but 4 inches taller than me (therefore average height) would have a BMR of 1560! If this More average woman eats 1200- she’s getting a deficit of 360 a day, while I only get a 227 deficit a day. This adds up significantly over a week. Why can’t a smaller person drop down to 1000 a day?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I’m frustrated by a plateau. I’ve used this app before to lose weight- so I know how to do it. This current plateau has me beyond frustrated- but I’m wondering if I can just drop my calories below 1200- here is my logic. They say not to go under 1200 if you’re a woman- but at my height and weight- my BMR is 1427. Another woman with the same BMI, but 4 inches taller than me (therefore average height) would have a BMR of 1560! If this More average woman eats 1200- she’s getting a deficit of 360 a day, while I only get a 227 deficit a day. This adds up significantly over a week. Why can’t a smaller person drop down to 1000 a day?

Your deficit isn't from your BMR...your deficit is from your TDEE or in the case of MFP, your NEAT. BMR is the calories you burn merely being alive...I'm sure you do more than simply exist.

Example...my BMR is around 1800 calories. I obviously do more than exist...I go about my day to day and do some exercise regularly. My TDEE (maintenance calories are anywhere from 2800-3000 depending...that means if I eat around 2300 - 2500 calories per day, I'll lose about 1 Lb per week...well above my BMR.
  • drockncrisso
    drockncrisso Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Got tested- looks like I have hypothyroid- MD is prescribing meds.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I plateaued for 3 weeks. A fitness trainer friend recommended adding BACK 200-300 calories a day fr a week. She said sometimes the body gets tired of being in deficit for so long and can hold on to weight harder and adding back calories jump starts hormones to trigger weight loss again.
    I added back in 250 calories a day for a week and after that started loosing again. I lost 3.5 pound sin the next two weeks.

It sounds like woo, I agree, but it worked, so maybe try it, I don't know. Health Science is always kind of bogus lol
  • drockncrisso
    drockncrisso Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard this before. It sounds too good to be true! I mean- I HATE eating around 1200. Lol, but considering how many people are telling me to up my calorie intake, I guess I should try it for a week, I certainly won’t mind the extra food :) and clearly week after week after week of low low cal isn’t working.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    TynaBaby17 wrote: »
    I plateaued for 3 weeks. A fitness trainer friend recommended adding BACK 200-300 calories a day fr a week. She said sometimes the body gets tired of being in deficit for so long and can hold on to weight harder and adding back calories jump starts hormones to trigger weight loss again.
    I added back in 250 calories a day for a week and after that started loosing again. I lost 3.5 pound sin the next two weeks.

It sounds like woo, I agree, but it worked, so maybe try it, I don't know. Health Science is always kind of bogus lol

The hormones will get messed up being in a deficit for too long, and eating at maintenance or bunch of carbs can help with that - whole thread on refeeds for that matter.

What happened for you probably is body was under stress from extreme deficit, and slowed itself down, which is first response of adapting. Increased stress also water weight.
    That made you burn less, so less deficit, and increased water.
    More food unstressed and lost water weight, and made you more active.

It's not that it's holding on to weight harder, not sure where that idea comes from. Even the hormone changes are about possibly making you eat more, or move less, to compensate.
  • MJsStory
    MJsStory Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Got tested- looks like I have hypothyroid- MD is prescribing meds.

Make sure your doctor checks your vitamin D levels. Most doctors don’t and your body can’t process the thyroid hormones prescribed without it.

My doctor has me on 1000-1100 calories each day. It is easily sustainable for me as I have a lot of food allergies that mean what I am not allergic to is typically lower in calories. I can go up to 1400 calories on special occasions. My doctor tracks my micros and macros, does blood work, and we watch how I feel to make sure it works for me. My body just runs a little differently so we adjust. Our end goal is to increase my exercise and this increase my calories along with it. It’s been a slow process but for the first time since my thyroid diagnosis I am losing weight