What to log when you don't know?

I'm going to dinner with my husband tomorrow. It's going to bee a nice date, with a dinner theatre show. Food is buffet style and not a chain restraunt, so I don't have a solid way to gauge or preplan what I'm eating.

I'm not worried about the calories themselves - this is a special occasion etc etc... but i don't want a giant blank in my diary either (a what? Why did i only eat 1000cal that day?).

How do you manage it? Leave it blank? Log a bit of what you eat and get an estimate?

Just curious what others do.

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    I would just put what you eat and guess on calories at least you will have an idea what you ate
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I would guesstimate the best I could. If you do a search for "Sodexo" + whatever the item is, that should give you at least a ballpark. And then try to estimate serving size either based on what the database says it should be, or based on what you think you're taking.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I would do something similar to @nowine4me. I would log 1500 and if it seemed fair I would leave it. If I had a big serving of lobster mac and cheese or a big ribeye steak I might re-think it and adjust it up later. 1500 is what I would consider a decent appetizer and entrée portion or at a buffet figuring approx. 750 per plate. I don't have a sweet tooth so I can't tell you a ballpark for desserts.

It is your log and you do what you feel is comfortable. More importantly... Have Fun!!
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Is there a way to log "blank" calories? I'm still fairly new to MFP and my previous food tracker wouldn't let me enter calories without their macros.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    summpear wrote: »
    Is there a way to log "blank" calories? I'm still fairly new to MFP and my previous food tracker wouldn't let me enter calories without their macros.

Next to "add food" there is a "quick tools" with an option to quick add some calories to a meal.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Take a picture of each dish before you dig in. Guestimate log afterwards with the help of your pictures!!!!

I've logged anywhere from 1500 to 5500 Cal for an all you can eat or buffett. That thansksgiving one I had marked it down as 4500; but, my MFPeops talked me up on the strength of the two dinner plates worth of desserts! :anguished: Still, I survived the experience with barely a blip! :blush:
  • bilylusk347
    bilylusk347 Posts: 7 Member
    I just enter the balance of my calories for the day and call it good
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Thanks guys!

On our way, and I've got 1500 calories left in today's bank :) (thank you, body pump and run).

I'm going to go, enjoy, and hopefully go for a nice run tomorrow too.