Lifting for runners

Options
Tacklewasher
Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
So, readin one of the MFP blogs today.
https://blog.mapmyrun.com/common-strength-training-mistakes-runners-make/?utm_source=FACEBOOK&utm_medium=FB MapMyRun&utm_term=Article&utm_content=Fitness & Training&utm_campaign=20180512

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it does seem to suggest that something like Strong Lifts 5x5 is a good way to go for lifting to improve running. Do others feel the same?

Hoping so as that is what I'm currently doing.

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Yes, that’s how I’m reading it as well.

I’m also lifting to ameliorate a specific issue (sciatica-induced weakness in my right leg), so I do functional and stability stuff, but in addition to the heavier strength work, not instead of it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have a full body Dumbbell workout that I do 3tumes a week which has helped me
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I also do a full body dumbbell routine 3 times a week. It's an immense help. Our hammies and glutes need help from lifting, because we're pretty quad dominant.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One issue I could see with running a program like SL 5x5 is leg recovery from squatting every session. When I was running I had those issues and when I'm on the bike a lot I have issues squatting every session. I do run a full body compound lifting program, but I don't squat every session.

I also wonder what they mean when they say "heavy"...another issue I was having when I ran Starting Strength was that my weight did get pretty heavy on squats and deadlifts and then trying to run, it just sucked and I couldn't recover and just got slower.

I typically work in the 8-10 rep range with moderately heavy weight.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    One issue I could see with running a program like SL 5x5 is leg recovery from squatting every session. When I was running I had those issues and when I'm on the bike a lot I have issues squatting every session. I do run a full body compound lifting program, but I don't squat every session.

I also wonder what they mean when they say "heavy"...another issue I was having when I ran Starting Strength was that my weight did get pretty heavy on squats and deadlifts and then trying to run, it just sucked and I couldn't recover and just got slower.

I had this issue... my leg recovery sufferered and I wasn't able to lift particularly heavy or run particularly fast.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I strength train, full body 2x week (squat/bench one day, deadlift/OHP other). Really has helped my running, but when my marathon training got really intense I found myself struggling to lift the same weights and had to drop them down to about 50-60% of my 1RPM as I just wasn't recovering as well as I should have been.
  • firef1y72
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Same here I really did have to drop the weight, although I was running juggernaut rather than starting strength. Got through the first 2 waves without difficulty but as soon as it got above 75% of my 1RPM it just didn't work well with the volume I was running. Now I'm back down to 21km a week in working the weight back up.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Interesting on the squats. I'm doing 30-40km a week right now and am not happy with my squats. I'm having trouble going below parallel. I think what I'm going to do for a bit is stop bumping the weight until I feel better with them. I was 135 lbs last time. I think I will repeat that.

Those of you doing a dumbbell routine, what are you doing?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Interesting on the squats. I'm doing 30-40km a week right now and am not happy with my squats. I'm having trouble going below parallel. I think what I'm going to do for a bit is stop bumping the weight until I feel better with them. I was 135 lbs last time. I think I will repeat that.

I'm doing a hybrid of a bunch of different routines that I made up myself. It covers all the major moves though.

To recap my equipment: I have adjustable dumbbells and plates for them, a lightweight barbell that takes the same plates, and a kettlebell handle that also takes the same plates.

So, my routine:

Lunges
    Goblet squats with the kettlebell thingy
    RDL's with the barbell
    Single bent over rows
    Shoulder presses
    Bench press
    Weighted glute bridges

Every now and then I throw in some curls and rear delt flyes.
  • turps3
    turps3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just focus on the big lifts Deadlifts, Squats, Lunges, Rows, Bench Press + Overhead Presses with some accessory work such as Box Jumps, Step Ups, Kettlebell Swings.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,208 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I found that lifting significantly reduced my running injuries. I've been doing Chalean Extreme, but she does squats in nearly every workout. It hasn't really helped speed at all... Though I've found running with my husband DOES (I'm a lazy runner). Maybe I'll take a page out of @GottaBurnEmAll's book and come up with my own. Yours sounds really interesting. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So, readin one of the MFP blogs today.
    https://blog.mapmyrun.com/common-strength-training-mistakes-runners-make/?utm_source=FACEBOOK&utm_medium=FB MapMyRun&utm_term=Article&utm_content=Fitness & Training&utm_campaign=20180512

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it does seem to suggest that something like Strong Lifts 5x5 is a good way to go for lifting to improve running. Do others feel the same?

Hoping so as that is what I'm currently doing.

The most appropriate resistance training really depends on your running focus, and indeed whether the focus is running. The best schema for me as as ultra marathon runner is quite different to the best for a 5K runner or track diva.

Stronglifts is a solid programme, although as highlighted it's worth modifying to avoid damaging your running.

Personally I prefer bodyweight and kettlebells, but if I changed running focus to shorter distances i'd be looking at an alternative
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Mine is from muscle & strength, one of their beginner routines.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Intrigued by this StrongLifts 5×5 Workout, wondering what most are doing here, 3 weight workouts and 3 runs / week?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited May 2018
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    Intrigued by this StrongLifts 5×5 Workout, wondering what most are doing here, 3 weight workouts and 3 runs / week?

Yes, I do 3 days weights, 3 days running.

I should note that I don't strive to be a beast at either of these things and have no real goals to be. Recreational 5K's are about all I'm interested in running, I'm in it for fun and just enjoying the neighborhood and listening to audiobooks.

Lifting? Well, I do what I do because it's good for me. I've cobbled together the least objectionable way of doing it so that I remain consistent with doing it because my bones will thank me as I continue to age. I'm always glad I've lifted when I've finished, but I never particularly look forward to it. Still, there's the audiobook factor.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

I do 2 or 3 SL a week. Depends on my schedule. I try for 3 but things get in the way sometimes.

I do a long run Sundays, between 15 and 21, a class Tuesday evening, a short run Wed or Thurs and 5-10K Saturdays.

I'm working on improving my half times. Takes me 2 1/2 hours right now. I figure as I reduce that time, I'll reduce my shorter ones.
  • firef1y72
    Options

I do 2 or 3 SL a week. Depends on my schedule. I try for 3 but things get in the way sometimes.

I do a long run Sundays, between 15 and 21, a class Tuesday evening, a short run Wed or Thurs and 5-10K Saturdays.

I'm working on improving my half times. Takes me 2 1/2 hours right now. I figure as I reduce that time, I'll reduce my shorter ones.

I'm at 2:30 for a half right now, aiming for 2:15-2:20 on a flat half in August. Do you do hill sprints? Found they've really helped with my speed (and endurance).
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do speed work twice a week on Tuesday/Thursday. I found that doing Legs on Tuesday gave me the best recovery for the Thursday workout. Doing a bunch of squats the day before a workout was no good and the weekends normally have either a long or race so Friday was no good.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "I cut back on lower body lifting any my cardio volume is high".

I have found that I've gotten faster over time. How much of that is because of the lifting vs more running vs natural evolution of a new runner is hard to say.