Lifting with a minor hamstring strain

blopmiyers
blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
I'm fairly certain I managed to strain my left hamstring. When I completely straighten out my leg(only while laying down) I feel a bit of pain. However, whenever I go to exercise (squats/deadlifts) I do not feel any of that pain whatsoever. I was wondering if it was alright to keep on lifting like this. I have deloaded, just in case.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    The only one who can really be the judge of that is yourself.

If i personally am feeling sore I will try my lifts for that day and if it doesn't impede my ability to lift. I'll do the session. Then there's days like yesterday where my joints felt achy. I gave my first movement a try. Didn't feel right so I packed up and went back to the hotel and ate ice cream and pizza instead.

If it doesn't mess with your lifting and isn't aggravated by the lifting. I personally would. But I cannot tell you to lift with an injury or not.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    That's going to kind of depend on you and your goals. I've lifted through strains and tears before without making it worse, but I've also worked through/around injuries and set my progress back. If I stopped lifting every time I had an injury I'd be out more often than not (nature of my job and lifestyle).
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the advice. I'll continue with the deload and stop immediately if I encounter any pain throughout the way. It's the first time I've gotten any sort of injury, fairly new to lifitng.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited May 2018
    I had a hip flexor injury a few years ago and it hurt to walk/run and squat... but felt fine doing single leg squat variations. Months passed and I still had pain trying to walk/run and squat because I wasn't letting it heal. Stopped all lower body lifting for a couple of months and it finally healed. Moral of the story...I don't *kitten* around when something feels off like that. I was off squatting for six months instead of the only two I could've been.