Fat to Muscle????

Options
Any ideas how quickly your body turns fat to muscle? The reason I ask is because of a recent comment I read basically saying that you can't turn fat to muscle unless you train 24/7.

I train 5 times a week, mostly cardio; walking/jogging, running and elliptical trainer. My whole body but most particularly my legs are firmer and definately more toned. I was under the impression this might be muscle (that's how it looks) or something like that. However, I'm now doubting this given the comment I read, which was posted on this site.

Just to explain....although I have only been a member of MFP for two months, I have regularly trained at a gym for the past 5 years.

If there is any MFP members who know about these things, it would be helpful to get some advice. I asked especially because if I stand on the scales and notice my weight has gone up slightly, by say a pound (which it hasn't yet!), is it likely to be fat, muscle or water retention??

Thanks

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am only speaking from my perception, not known fact... but I don't believe you can turn fat into muscle. I believe you can only burn away fat in your body and build up muscle.

Having said that.... I believe that working out like you have could tone your body up for you, but you would need to incorporate weights to actually help you build more muscles.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you do alot of cardio but are you doin any weight training? That's how you build muscle and strength!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You can't turn fat into muscle........

Fat is stored energy and quite different from muscle tissue.

You can train your muscles so they get bigger - and you can use the energy stored in the fat so your fat depots are reduced, but you can not turn fat into muscle.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle. They are two different things. Think of fat as hard little balls under your skin and around your organs. Once you make fat, you don't get rid of it. The size just shrinks. This is why it's so much easier to "put fat on" than take it off. Your goal in "losing fat" is to actually shrink the fat cells down.

Muscles are a whole different ball game. You can build muscle by tearing it and having it repair itself.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I am only speaking from my perception, not known fact... but I don't believe you can turn fat into muscle. I believe you can only burn away fat in your body and build up muscle.
    I immediately thought of this. Fat doesn't magically become muscle. You burn fat and build muscle. And not necessarily at the same rate. But I suppose that's what the OP meant, right? ;-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Any ideas how quickly your body turns fat to muscle? The reason I ask is because of a recent comment I read basically saying that you can't turn fat to muscle unless you train 24/7.

I train 5 times a week, mostly cardio; walking/jogging, running and elliptical trainer. My whole body but most particularly my legs are firmer and definately more toned. I was under the impression this might be muscle (that's how it looks) or something like that. However, I'm now doubting this given the comment I read, which was posted on this site.

Just to explain....although I have only been a member of MFP for two months, I have regularly trained at a gym for the past 5 years.

If there is any MFP members who know about these things, it would be helpful to get some advice. I asked especially because if I stand on the scales and notice my weight has gone up slightly, by say a pound (which it hasn't yet!), is it likely to be fat, muscle or water retention??

Thanks

Fat will never turn into muscle, they are 2 completely different things they just both happen to be in your body.

You will not be building muscle doing just cardio (most likely you will be losing some along with fat) it may appear like you have more muscle but that is just the muscles coming out from under the fat (less fat covering them).

If you are in a caloric deficit and the scale goes up it is most likely water. If you are in a caloric surplus and you gain weight it is probably a combination of fat, muscle and water.
  • barrowmanl
    Options
    I am not sure about how quickly fat turns to muscle. I have been training at the gym for a number of years and have also done some reading re training and fat burn. It is recommended that you do weight training as well as cardio to get the best results. Talk to a trainer at your gym.
  • tgbz86
    tgbz86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fat cells shrink...they don't disappear or turn to 'muscle'. Muscle builds if you're challenging it the right way.
  • milk215
    milk215 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can't "turn" muscle into fat. You can add more muscle by weight/strength/resistance training. Plus adding muscle will help your body burn more calories while resting...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Having said that.... I believe that working out like you have could tone your body up for you, but you would need to incorporate weights to actually help you build more muscles.

I agree. You cant gain a whole bunch of muscle in a deficit, but you do have beginners gain on your side, and you can at least preserve what you do have while losing fat.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle. They are two different things. Think of fat as hard little balls under your skin and around your organs. Once you make fat, you don't get rid of it. The size just shrinks. This is why it's so much easier to "put fat on" than take it off. Your goal in "losing fat" is to actually shrink the fat cells down.

Muscles are a whole different ball game. You can build muscle by tearing it and having it repair itself.

I thought everyone had about the same number of fat cells, it's just a question of how full they are. I know if you have lipo but don't improve your diet, the fat just collects somewhere you still have fat cells, so it ends up in bizarre places.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yup fat is fat, and muscle is muscle, they don't turn into one another ;)

What you do is reduce fat and build muscle.

Without weight training you're not building much muscle, especially if you're still losing weight. You lose both muscle and fat when losing weight so weight training is important to minimize muscle loss and promote muscle growth. If you're doing a lot of running or leg work outs for cardio of course your legs are strong, they carry your body weight ;) so they are doing some strength training.
  • NaloMeli
    NaloMeli Posts: 17
    Options
    Add on question: which is heavier, Fat or Muscle? If I am shrinking my fat cells and gaining muscle mass, will that make it look like I'm gaining or staying the same? I can tell when I'm losing by how clothes fit, but am very curious.

Thanks for any input!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Add on question: which is heavier, Fat or Muscle? If I am shrinking my fat cells and gaining muscle mass, will that make it look like I'm gaining or staying the same? I can tell when I'm losing by how clothes fit, but am very curious.

Thanks for any input!

This is very hard to do and most likely you will not be able to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, unless you are new to resistance training than you may gain a couple pounds of muscle at most.

Muscle weighs more than fat in equal volumes, but if you gain weight in a caloric deficit it is most likely water retention, not muscle growth.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Fat can be converted to energy and that energy can be used to build muscle, but only if you strength train. Fat is used after the body has expended your daily caloric intake. All bodily activities require energy including the process of building muscle. Once your body uses the intake, it defers to fat stores. Building muscle is a process that takes several days so strength training actually adds to your daily caloric burn.

Therefore, to answer your question, fat cannot be converted to muscle in a single day. Any slight gains that you might have is due to water retention because the body uses water to protect the muscles during the process of building muscle.
  • capeto
    capeto Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi remmeber that the muscle weight more than fat, so if you are training in the gym, the importate thing is to loose sizes. Your weight will be down slowly. Contiunue doing more cardio and only few strenght.

Ej. Monday to Friday: Cardio 40 min minimum and for strenght , 3 series 3 exec. of 12-15 reps medium weight of each part of the body (each day)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Biologically speaking, fat tissue does not "turn in to" muscle.

What happens is when a sedentary person who has significant fat stores, transitions to an active person making wise dietary choices and exercising fat tissue is burned, thus reducing in size. At the same time exercise (particularly strength training) stimulates muscle growth, most effectively when there is adequate protein consumption.

This may result in slower weight loss than anticated due to muscle tissue being more dense, thus heavier than fat. This is mitigated by muscle being more biologically active than fat and as a result increasing your metabolism.

All of that is to say, fat does not become muscle. One shrinks while the other grows.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Thanks

Sorry, I think I might not have explained myself very well here. I don't mean turning fat to muscle. I know that you cannot turn fat to muscle. But burning fat and building muscle. The comment I read implied that you couldn't do that.

I don't really do much resistance training. I know I should do more. I'm just more of a cardio person.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Thanks

If fat could be turned into muscle I'd look like this:
    markus_ruhl03.jpg

Good think it's not true. Kinda.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Thanks

tumblr_lmhbrj3lrc1qamllk.jpg