Walking/Jogging shoes

Options
I'm debating whether or not to buy a decent pair of walking/jogging shoes. The shoes i currently have are about a half a size too small for me and tend to hurt my feet just when i'm walking my dogs...so i'm thinking i need a new pair lol.
Anyone care to recommend a pair that are under $100 and not nike?

I was thinking these?
http://www.kswiss.com/item/38.32/92316-177/Women/Footwear_Running/Tubes_Run_100/Wht_Slvr_Ptna.html

Replies

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question only about shoes for aerobics. Thanks for posting this!!!
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of saucony running shoes. I wanted a new pair and went to Academy and boom last pair of size 9s on clearance for $25! It was meant to be b/c when I need another pair I will go looking for saucony again and won't bat an eye at paying full price! I love them.
  • hurrayhurrah
    Options
    I would recommend (if you are a serious walker/jogger or if it is your main type of exercise) going to a specialty running store and getting fitted for a good pair of shoes. A lot of people either roll their feet in and out ,and that can effect knees and back and it's really bad. The shoes can be rather expensive but it's the best way to get the support you need.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I bought some ASICS gel shoes and they are the most comfortable shoe I have ever bought. Im think they were $80 some dollars.....My husband bought a pair as well ....and he loves them too! WE walk and jog in them. LOVE THEM!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Go to a propper shop and get yourself fitted properly, where they can check for your pronation and foot profile. This will ensure much less chance of injury when running/jogging.

Don't stat off with trying to save as the biggest priority, remember that it is the most important piece of gear for a runner. You can run on old shorts but not on unsuitable shoes.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would recommend (if you are a serious walker/jogger or if it is your main type of exercise) going to a specialty running store and getting fitted for a good pair of shoes. A lot of people either roll their feet in and out ,and that can effect knees and back and it's really bad. The shoes can be rather expensive but it's the best way to get the support you need.

This.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you can stomach the price...give Newtons a try. They on average run $150 a pop but worth it. Check out there site. Guarantee you won't go back to mainstream brands...ever.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoes/women-shoes
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It seems nike and rebok always wear out or fall apart on me fairly quickly. I've been using addidas running shoes over the course of the last 3-4 years and swear by them.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about cost, go to a Marshall's shoe store or similar in your area. Try on anything that is a brand name(Reebok, Adidas, Avia, etc... ) and has good cushioning. They have great prices, but you have to try on there stuff, because sometimes the labels are a bit off(that is why they are discounted)
    You might also try Zappos. I buy from them all the time. You can narrow down the selection by type and price till you find what you like that is in your price range. They are generous with returns.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've been a big fan of New Balance and currently use one of their cross trainers that I got for around $60. I tend to go more for cross trainers since I spend more time with non-impact CV workouts like an elliptical. I've helped repair too many damaged knees of joggers/runners.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Alot depends on where you are walking/jogging as well. I use the Oboz Sawtooth Cross-Training Shoe (Cost $99) I run on the treadmill, bike, use the eliptical machine and run/walk trails in these shoes. They are great for all enviorments and hold up well. A side note, I buy my shoes from REI. they have agreat return policy. If you dont like the shoe or if it falls apart, bring them back and get a differnt pair (they refund the amount you paid). Most other shoes stores wont do this.

Here is a link to the shoe (mens) on their site

http://www.rei.com/product/781640/oboz-sawtooth-cross-training-shoes-mens

Good luck with your shoe hunting
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Well, I saw buy a new pair. I could go on and on as to my feet hurting b/c my shoes were the wrong ones. I went on got New Balance and they have been wonderful. I need good support. I have planter faciitus (sp?) and I am not going to let that get in the way of me getting a good work out. I have not excuses and that is the way I like it.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have assics Gel Nimbus! they are a dream!! and you can get them on sale for about 70$

Take care of your feet!! you'll be glad you did!!
  • PainterB
    PainterB Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who has REALLY had some foot trouble as a result of not providing myself with decent exercise footwear in the past -- DO WHATEVER YOU CAN to find a reliable store that will assess your feet and exercise needs to help you into the most appropriate shoes for you. Shoes that are too small, are fad footwear, not the right support for your particular bone structure, etc. can cause both immediate and long-term problems: plantar fasciitis, bunions, Morton's neuromas, hammer toes, bone spurs, shin splints and even stress fractures.

Take care of the most under appreciated part of your body!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be jogging in these shoes it is very im,portant to get fitted, all shoes are not made alike even inside the same brand. I bought a pair of asics off the shelf at a store once and tried running in them multiple times, every time it resulted in shin splints. I then got fitted, the store recommended a pair of Asics I go them, and sure enough, running felt great. They make the shoes differently so that people with different foot issues will have a pair that works well for them. Your best bet is to go to a running store, the people there generally know how to fit someone for a shoe and know which shoes are better for diferent feet.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I did a quick google search and there is a running shoe store about 40 minutes from me that I think i will go to and get fitted.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

I've been told it's totally worth it as well... I have severe knee pains from old injury/surgery and back pain also and my trainer told me that it's important to get fitted and be willing to spend the extra, that the body will thank me later.... currently I'm saving to be able to do this.