Sugar, Stress & Fatigue Question

Options
I'm having an odd reaction that I'm hoping someone might have an idea of what's going on or what I should research.

On rough days or after a stressful appointment I typically have terrible sugar cravings. In the past I have ameliorated this with a cookie, hot chocolate, or some other high sugar food which has elevated and stabilized my mood and energy levels.

The past 2-3 weeks I have been working on keeping my sugar levels at 25g or less which hasn't been a problem unless I hit a high stress day. On a high stress day I'm still having the high sugar cravings, but this time I'm trying to ride them out with a little bit of dark chocolate. Now the day after a high stress day I'm experiencing terrible flu-like fatigue and exhaustion that lasts all day, then I'm fine the following day. I think this reaction is a bit bizarre. It's happened a few times so I'm trying to figure out what is going on biochemically and how to address it.

I'm not having any other weird reactions or sugar cravings. My symptoms aren't matching keto flu, dehydration, or sleep deprivation. I'm not sure what else to look up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• candicesmith5661
    candicesmith5661 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    pink salt?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different brand of dark chocolate
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    prov31ruth wrote: »
    Depending on your macros, you may not be getting enough fat in your diet. also possibly not enough salt. You need to replace it with a healthy form of salt such as pink salt with water.

Wait. Wut?

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hm..I have a bad reaction to high carb intake. But only HIGH. I feel bruised the next day and definitely unhappy and unwell. A chocolate bar wouldn't do it though.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This is only a guess. It might have something to do with cortisol which is increased in stressful situations. It is a regulatory hormone. As I recall, in stressful situations the increase helps control blood pressure.
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This is only a guess. It might have something to do with cortisol which is increased in stressful situations. It is a regulatory hormone. As I recall, in stressful situations the increase helps control blood pressure.

I was wondering if it might have to do something with cortisol and stress levels. Thanks!
  • lovelifehealth
    Options
    prov31ruth wrote: »
    Depending on your macros, you may not be getting enough fat in your diet. also possibly not enough salt. You need to replace it with a healthy form of salt such as pink salt with water.

My macros are 30% carbs 40% fats 30% proteins. I'll look into it. Thanks!
  • lovelifehealth
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Maybe try a different brand of dark chocolate

Something to look into. Thank you