Size changes

Options
So this is a good problem to have but I'm not sure how to deal with it. How do you deal with clothing size changes as you are losing? I can't afford a whole new wardrobe in each size as I go down. Do you just deal with too baggy? Buy smaller and tighter than you need and shrink into them?
I'm sick of ill fitting clothing but I'm only half way to my goal weight when I plan to invest in a new wardrobe.
What do you do?

Replies

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Seltzer
    Mint555 I couldn't have said it better myself, Im having that issue now myself.coming from A size 20 to a 14 and still losing is great I bought a couple of cute clearance jeans online from forever 21, been a lo2mg time since I was 21 but the clothes are reasonable and maybe not made to last but fit my current budget amd size. Both pair were only $30 plus tax for 2 pair can't beat that, I feel like I need more clothea as well but while inbetween sizes I will not purchase a lot. You can always use a belt on pants buy wrap dresses that can adjust as you lose and last but not least if you know how to sew you can hem or take some thimgs in by hand sewing or machine.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thrift store?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I altered what I already had until it didn't work anymore.
    Have slacks taken in, buy belts, tuck in looser shirts. It isn't a permanent solution but it works for the time being.
    I bought cheap items from sales racks and bought basic items that would still work if they where a little big.
    If you have friends that are around your current size you could also ask them to give you anything that they no longer wear. I would raid my mom's closet for jeans and then give them back when they where too large. Lol
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    Getting clothes that fit right was a game changer for me. Go the thrift store rout if you need to but I’d aim for stuff that fits now. You don’t need added pressure of shrinking into the money you have invested.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I dig through the back of my closet to see what I can find from past years, when times were a little slimmer than they are now :p
    In addition to that, I also buy a few things second-hand so I’m not shelling out a fortune on clothes that (I hope) won’t fit for long as I continue to lose!
    I buy the odd thing from cheap department stores, too, but just keep it to the minimum.
    I consider this phase a temporary, “make-do” kind of phase until I get to goal. Then I’ll treat myself to a shopping spree!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above who said don't buy stuff you will shrink into. I did that with some cute goal jeans and although they fit, they 100% are not the right cut for me. As your body changes, clothes fit differently in some areas than they used to. Luckily those goal jeans were from a thrift store.

I recommend you tell a certain friend, family member, or Co worker, etc. that they have your full permission to tell you if clothes look sloppy on you. My friend did this for me and once I got brave enough to wear smaller clothes that I felt were too tight, I had so many compliments! For a lot of people (me) it's hard to get out of the loose, baggy clothes we have hidden in for years.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh and for a point wore lots of leggings. They have lots of size leeway as far as size.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I recommend you tell a certain friend, family member, or Co worker, etc. that they have your full permission to tell you if clothes look sloppy on you. My friend did this for me and once I got brave enough to wear smaller clothes that I felt were too tight, I had so many compliments! For a lot of people (me) it's hard to get out of the loose, baggy clothes we have hidden in for years.

This is great advice and a lot of people will be willing to actually cooperate and tell you "that is too big for you" because it's not awkward (if you are close) like maybe it would be for them to say "that's too tight/small for you"!!

I had several occasions when I would feel cute in what I thought just looked like an oversized cardigan and loose fitting dress, and my mom or best friend would say, "Seriously don't wear that again! It's 5 sizes too big for you!" It stung a teensy bit but I realized they were right!

• banana2girl
    banana2girl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have so many sizes that I’m wondering when to let go of the ones I no longer
    Fit into. Should I give away size 24 as soon as I fit into size 22? Or wait a few sizes?
    Try ThredUp. I use them to resell my clothes and also to buy new stuff with the credits from selling.
    Right now I’m so big that going down in size
    Goes pretty fast so no time to build a new wardrobe. Happy to get some space back in the closet though
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    A couple of pairs of neutral colored slacks that fit properly can extend a wardrobe if you are willing to do laundry often and mix and match a few new tops.