5'7.5" - lost nearly 60lbs but I'm stuck at 164!!! Help!

Options
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but I've joined in need of some help. I have been stuck in the 160s for about a month and a half now and can't seem to get any lower than 162lbs. I work out daily (sometimes twice) and burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories a day. My typical cardio consists of some interval sprints, a 5k run, then the stair master. On occasion I'll sit in on a spin class or erg (for all those rowers out there). After that I tend to use free weights for lifting and then top it all off with crunches.

I used to be in very good shape but always a larger person. I was a D1 athlete and did very well but I am now trying to obtain more of a runners/triathlete's body. I am extremely frustrated because from the end of last October until early June of this year I had lost about 50lbs but my weight loss has come nearly to a halt since then. To make matters worse I have an event at the end of September that I need to be about 15 - 20lbs lighter for and again I am stuck. Suggestions? Help?

I already stay away from most carbs (I eat some whole grain products) and try to eat mainly lean meats and fruit/veggies. I take multivitamins as well.

Replies

• smithskiman06
    smithskiman06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your body is in a "fat-storing" mode due to lack of calories and over exercising. You need to jump start it to get it out of this mode.

I think that you should try all or one of the following things:

1. Calorie Cycling - This is an easy concept but will make a huge difference. Eat a little more calories one day and a little less the next. MFP sets daily net calorie goals to stick to but on the mobile app they have a weekly section that tracks average net calories. You should pay attention to this section more than your daily net calories. Eating food dramatically increases your metabolism and by cycling you calories you will dramatically rev up your fat-burning engine.

2. Eat more carbs. Carbs DON'T make people fat. Excess calories do. You are correct to stay away from white carbs but carbs fuel fat burning and are extremely anabolic, that is they help build muscle. More muscle means more burned fat. Whether you are a man or women doesn't matter: more muscle = less fat. Oatmeal, Brown rice, whole wheat pasta , and a small amount of whole wheat bread should all be staples in your diet. Try to stick to a 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat macronutrient ratios for MAXIMUM fat burning.

3. Eat more calories. This might sound counter-intuitive but by working out so much you are probably starving your body of calories. At 162lbs your basal metabolic rate (BMR), or the lowest amount of calories you need to live, is 1531 calories a day. My suggestion would be to set your daily NET intake at 1400 calories a day and make sure you eat your exercise calories. If your burning 500-1000 calories per workout, I would check this by buying a heart rate monitor as it is the most acurate way of tracking calories, that would be 1900-2400 actual calories eaten a day.

Give it a week or two. Do these things and don't weigh yourself for a week or two but make sure your tracking calories and eating in your exercise calories. Than after a couple weeks weigh yourself and gauge your progress from that point.
  • kmcgilllis
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I don't think I can go two weeks without weighing myself but one is doable. lol

I'll definitely try the calorie cycling thing. Thanks for that. However, the idea of consuming additional calories is scary to me. It's taken me this long to lose and I don't want to go back up in weight. It is not the first time I've heard eating more calories could help but whenever I do eat more calories it seems that my weight just shoots right back up. Additionally my boyfriend has an amazing body but is vehemently against the notion of consuming more to lose more and so that makes it difficult.
  • lizette1009
    Options
    I know what you mean. I lost 55 pounds most from a lap band but can't seem to lose any more. I am stuck at 162 for about a year. But it was because I enjoyed how I looked...I had not been this weight in many yrs. I guess it is time to progress so I can get healthy and look better.