Pizza Junkies

Options
Snakey74
Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
I LOOOOOVE pizza, but of course, I can't really scarf it down like I used to. I have been looking for pizza alternatives (Michelina's Light Gourmet pizza snacks is a godsend). On a whim - ok...and because I had a coupon! - I bought some Morning Star Tomato & Basil Pizza Burgers. Heated it up, threw it on a 100 calorie bagel thin, took a bite...and danced around my kitchen! It really does taste like pizza! Hubby had a slice of Sargento Sharp Provolone on his (I don't like cheese very much), and he said it was just like having a slice of pizza.

*does the Snoopy dance*

Any other wonderful pizza alternatives out there?

Replies

• kmcginley613
    Options
    awesome!! thanks for the suggestion.. I love pizza as well
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Can you post a couple to Ireland? I've never heard of that brand
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    My name is Amelia. And I am a pizza addict.

I LOVE those morningstar burgers! They definitely hit the craving.

Sometimes I'll just put tomato paste on a sandwich thin (or everything bagel thin) with some shredded cheese and oregano in my toaster oven. Healthy "bagel bites"!

Lean cuisine has a decent french bread pizza.

Smart Ones mini pizzas are TO DIE! They use asiago cheese!
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You are good to look for alternatives. I just have pizza, 1 slice with lots of salad now instead of 4 plus slices in one sitting. Just being honest, somethings I prefer no alternative. LOL Pizza is one....I dont have it very often anymore though, strange but I feel like it makes you crave more of it, maybe its just me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds AWESOME! I sometimes cut up those tomato & basil burgers and substitue them for meat in pasta dishes...

This may sound gross but I actually buy the lowest calorie frozen pizza's I can find and top them with veggies before I bake them. Even on a Totino's pizza-don't ask how I came about this.... It's like 320 calories for half a pizza, add the extra veggies(diced up broccoli, cauliflower, onion, tomatoes,asparagus, etc.)and it is a super filling for a meal.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well, for anyone who does the Snoopy dance..... love him!

I am a pizza junkie. I make my own at home. Pretty tasty, not expensive and fast.

Soft taco shell (I use the cheap ones, you can go whole grain for 4x the $)
    spaghetti sauce
    Italian shredded cheese
    I usually warm the topping in a skillet with some Pam to bring out flavor...onions, tomato slices, jalapeno strips, mushrooms

10 min in oven & you've got low cal pizza. I make each of us a pizza with fav toppings (I keep browned hamburger in freezer & put some on kids pizzas)

It's not Dominoes...but doesn't have all the calories either!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    The O Organics (and also Earth's Pride Organics) brand of Spinach and Feta pizza is pretty low cal -- I think it's only 250 cals for 1/3rd of the whole pizza. Not as much cheese as other pizzas, but still satisfies me.

And I still eat a slice of regular now and then -- I agree w/ mrsvatitagain!
  • kvmuddle
    kvmuddle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My make-shift yummy pizza is to use a 10" wheat tortilla (I like the La Tortilla Factory Low Carb ones at 80 cals) topped with Ragu pizza quick sauce, reduced fat cheese, banana peppers and capers. Bake in the toaster oven and Viola! Little pizza for under 300 cals :)
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump - sounds yummy!
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My friend Ali shared this one with me and I have made it a few times now. The different options are endless.

Ingredients :
    Pita bread
    Polly-O Part-skim mozzarella cheese (by the other cheese, but on the bottom shelf, looks like a square)
    Hormel Turkey Pepperoni (6 pieces per serving)
    Any other veggies you would like to add on there (I do spinach and green onions)
    Reduced Fat Sour cream

Directions :

Preheat oven to 350
    Turn pita on it's back, so it kinda looks like a bowl.
    Spread 2 tablespoons of the sour cream on it.
    Place your pepperoni on the pizza
    Cut thin pieces of mozzarella and place it on top of that.
    Put your veggies on next.
    Bake in the oven for about 15 mins on a cookie sheet. You may want to spray Pam on it.
    The broil for 2-5 mins, until desired darkness.

The whole thing is only about 300 calories, with just the bread, sour cream, pepperoni, and mozzarella. And any veggies wouldn't give you much more than that. It is really yummy too!
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I make my own version with the low-carb Flatout flatbreads, some all natural Victorias tomato sauce (no sugar and additives), a bit of cheese and whatever meat I want or I just pile it with veggies!
    I bake the "crust" off first, then add everything else and bake until it's melty and warm.
    For me, loving thin crust and not much sauce, it's super yummy to me and a nice change.
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I still go for the real thing a lot of the time, but I go with Papa Murphy's Delite pizzas, a crispy thin crust and just cheese and veggies on it.

Otherwise do like JenCM suggested and make a pizza with Flatout Flatbread (http://www.flatoutbread.com/). I've never baked it before adding the toppings, but my crusts have never been crispy. I'll have to try that next time.
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I still go for the real thing a lot of the time, but I go with Papa Murphy's Delite pizzas, a crispy thin crust and just cheese and veggies on it.

Otherwise do like JenCM suggested and make a pizza with Flatout Flatbread (http://www.flatoutbread.com/). I've never baked it before adding the toppings, but my crusts have never been crispy. I'll have to try that next time.

See, the Papa Murphy delite pizzas are just what I was thinking of when I started doing the Flatout bread! I'm def all about a micro thin crust and lots of toppings. :) I like the Chicken Artichoke one and that's one that we get a couple times a year when we do takeout pizza. :)

The cooking the flatbreads works wonders for getting crispiness. I advise also warming your sauce beforehand and if you want your veggies cooked to a certain point, do that a bit in a skillet. I just try to use the oven to just give everything a few minutes together to merry flavors and melt my cheese really. :) That's what's worked the best for me anyway!
  • delliam
    delliam Posts: 16
    Options
    Nope, you're right! It does kp you wanting more!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am a pizza addict. in fact, it's a tradition of mine and my family's to eat hungry howies pizza after every orchestra concert i perform in... which is about 3-4 every 3 months. however, i always end up eating 5 slices of pizza, plus soda. i can't drink soda anymore, but i still loveeee pizza. all these alternatives sound great! (and healthy too!) :)
  • cdc33
    cdc33 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love pizza as well, a little to much Id say. LOL for an alternative to ordering pizza I use a whole wheat pita called PBF signature authentic thin style I buy it at safeway it comes in 2 sizes which I love I use the small one just for me and if the whole family is eating I use a couple of the large ones with prego spagetti sauce and saputto pizza mozzerella I also add pizza spice from epicure so good guys and then throw on whatever you like. I just throw it in the oven at 400 just keep an eye on it Id say about 5-8mins and then done. you migh want to broil the top for 2 mins. I just have to say I love Epicure spices they are so good I really didnt know what I was missing untill I tried it. Spices totally make a meal. I dont sell Epicure just love it :)
  • ilovelucy1026
    Options
    Thanks! Will definitely have to try those!
  • hasbeen76
    Options
    People listing information about La Rosa's Focaccia pizzas are forgetting that the pizza nutritional information from La Rosa's website is based on pie wedge pieces because the total sum of the ingredients must be averaged over the whole pizza and you cannot do that when you use the 1/6, 1/10, 1/12 rectangular slices that they cut the pizza in. Please look into their website and see the red print in the nutrition pages and make the changes to 1/4 small , 1/8 medium and 1/8 large, otherwise you have the most calorie filled pizzas this side of Chicago.
  • phatphd
    phatphd Posts: 45
    Options
    I use portobello mushroom caps as my "crust" - top with homemade sundried tomato basil pesto, cheese, and lots of veggies. Roast at 450 for 10-12 minutes. Mm mm good!
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do the portobello pizzas too!