i lost about 10 lbs in about about 10 days.

hopelsslyh0peful
hopelsslyh0peful Posts: 18 Member
edited October 1 in Food and Nutrition
so i started mfp on august 2nd at about 235 lbs...and now everytime i check the scale says i'm 225. i know it's most likely water weight..but even if i eat saltier foods the scale still says i'm losing weight. i know water weight is easy to gain back but besides that i dont fully understand how losing water weight works.

i've been checking the scale every morning for a week now and it still says i'm losing whether i go over or under my calories. i've been very committed to this diet so far so even though its probably all water weight, do you think its possible i lost some fat as well?

Replies

• VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    I really don't know how it works either, but the first week I lost 7 lbs. Now I'm loosing about 1-2 lbs a week so I know it was water weight as well. My tummy area is not as bloated now that I am drinking all the water so I will assume alot of it was getting rid of excess sodium and other things that I was retaining. Total guess on my part.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    bump
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    I was the exact same starting weight and now we are the exact same weight....I've been doing this for a month....It's completely possible.
  • Pretty sure water weight only makes you fluctuate around 2 pounds a day, I'd say you're losing fat. It doesn't sound like a healthy rate though.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    It is true that the first blast of weight loss is mostly water, but it doesn't mean that is all that you have lost. The more overweight you are, the faster you will lose weight and it slows down as you get closer to your goal weight. I recommend including taking before/progress/after pics and measurements. I really wish I would've!

If you are exercising as well as eating better, then you probably lost some fat...if you have started weight training, then you may have gained some muscle...regardless, keep it up and don't stop! Once you stop, it is HARD to get started again

G'luck!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    The weight will come off quickly at first, especially if you have a lot to lose (I'm not sure of your goals). I say it could very well be fat, but don't expect it to keep melting off, you have to work at it. Good luck!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    10 days is a substantial amount of time I'm sure you lost fat. Since you're eating healthier you're probably right that it was a lot of water weight. You're probably able to be less bloated between paying attention to drinking more water and eating foods that have water in them.

DON'T get discouraged if you don't keep this 10 pounds in 10 days weight loss up though. You're doing an awesome job =] just keep it up.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Yes, you've probably lost a good bit of fat. I believe that when we make a drastic change in our eating and exercise our body sort of kicks into high gear initially. Sort of like when you start up a cold car, the engine revs up until it's warmed up. You'll probably notice that the weight loss slows down a bit, don't get discouraged by that! Sounds like you are doing great. Remember that MFP is not a perfect science and calories consumed and calories burned might be off a bit. Also, your calorie goal is going to be lower then what your body burns in a day. According to MFP I burn about 2740 calories a day, my goal is 1740. Even if I go over by 800 calories (which is quite a bit) I'd still have a deficiency for the day and still would likely lose weight.

Scott
  • rodeomc
    rodeomc Posts: 17 Member
    What are you doing exactly? Or are you just staying in your calorie limit.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Sounds like good news. Now of course some of this is water weight. But as long as you are doing this healthy and 8 pounds of it is water weight, 2 lbs in 10 days is still awesome. You mentioned food, it could also be sodium in your drinks. The only advice I can give gererally speaking is always try to use the same scale, neat the same time of day (preferably in the morning) before you work out so you can monitor steady results. Otherwise, good job.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Often weight loss is quite quick in the first couple of weeks and most of it will be made up of fat, water, glycogen stores etc as your body gets used to a lower calorie intake. Don't stress about it too much. It will probably slow down soon. If it doesn't slow down in another week I would increase you calorie intake by 200-500 calories a day and see what happens. You may just need more calories than you think.
  • SaraSweetheart
    SaraSweetheart Posts: 34 Member
    Be careful... you could be losing lean muscle mass, especially if you are working out and not eating enough calories and protein. 1-2 lbs a week is healthy weight loss. Anything more than that will be gained back. Also, you may want to be tested for diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. Also, pregnancy is a possibility too... not that you are all pregnant! But my friend randomly lost 10 pounds and then discovered she was pregnant... apparently that happens a lot with healthy women as the baby takes a lot of nutrients if the mother continues to eat normally while pregnant not knowing of her pregnancy.
  • SaraSweetheart
    SaraSweetheart Posts: 34 Member
    OR , more likely, you probably just aren't getting enough calories.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. Work the plan, exercise and stay close to your calorie limit and you will see a benefit. If it continues at that pace, though, I would add some calories. You want to take it nice and steady. Too much, too fast may indicate you aren't getting the nutrients you need.
  • hopelsslyh0peful
    hopelsslyh0peful Posts: 18 Member
    thanks for all the responces! i've been working out almost everyday and eating about an average of 1300 calories..sometimes more or less depending on how hungy i am. i appreciate all the support and answers you guys are great :]
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    The weight will come off quickly at first, especially if you have a lot to lose (I'm not sure of your goals). I say it could very well be fat, but don't expect it to keep melting off, you have to work at it. Good luck!

i agree the weight comes off quickly in the beginning then slows even stops at times :) But never the less a great start
This discussion has been closed.