funeral for my scale unless u can suggestion otherwise

Options
I find my scale to be my foe during this weight loss journey. I've been working on the same 10 lbs for over 2 months. The moves in only one direction.....UP. Or, once in a great while it will stay the same. Here's the deal. Last week and this week I've upped my workouts to burning nearly 1000 calories a day. Eating right, (yes, eating back exercise calories most days) and in 5 days I've gained a pound. In the last month I've gained nearly 4 lbs. Despite doing everything correctly. Wearing my HRM every time I work out and doing the numbers exact.

On vacation last month, I exercised normal everyday, which is about 500 calories burned, had fun, ate what I wanted, came home after 11 days and stayed exactly the same weight. First week home of counting the numbers again I gained nearly 2 lbs. I am SO, SO, SO, done with that freakin scale!

PS. My clothes fit a tiny bit looser despite the nearly 4 lbs of weight gain so I'm okay with that but done with the numbers and the scale. Am I working out too much do you think?

Tricia

Replies

• gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    with that much exercise, you're gaining muscle which is heavier than fat. go with the feel of your clothes.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Don't get too obsessed with the numbers on the scale, if you're getting fit that is more important, since lean muscle weighs more than fat. I'm sure that you will get some more weight drop as you burn off more fat, keep up lots of cardio!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its great that you are trying.
    It could be one of two things.
    1. You don't keep track as accurately as you think you do(How well do you understand weights and measures).
    AND / OR
    2. You actually do need a new scale.

If you are putting this much effort into it, a new scale may be worth it. Keep in mind, the new scale will give you a different weight than your other at the start.

Best of luck.
  • Helendec1962
    Options
    I love the title you chose, lol I can see the humor. I've thought about tossing my scales down the bank ever since I started this journey. I was told to only weigh once a week, this way I'm not getting discouraged every day. Good luck, I hope this helps.
  • beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    toss the scale and start measuring. My scale didn't budge for a month, but my clothes were falling off. People were saying things like "you are getting sooooo small". LISTEN to and look at your own body. Personally, my body is not only losing inches but reportioning(?) itself. So I can physically see the changes. The dang scale will never reflect that. Toss it! blessings and be well!
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The tape measure is your best friend. It helps mark progress in losing sizes far better than a scale does, especially if you're doing a lot of exercise.
  • vpsmith14
    Options
    I love the title you chose, lol I can see the humor. I've thought about tossing my scales down the bank ever since I started this journey. I was told to only weigh once a week, this way I'm not getting discouraged every day. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Hi Helen. I do only weight once a week. But I am loving the suggestions about just not even getting on it. It really does get old and I am so sick of it. I think though I would be crying if my clothes were tighter as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricia
  • vpsmith14
    Options
    I just love bringing my sorrows here to you all. Everyone, you are all so great. Thanks for the encouragement and uplifting words. I think I'l take a nice long break from getting on it. That is what my hubby says to do. He thinks I just need a good break from the numbers and just live my life. Heck, that's what I did on vacation and I did great. Maybe I'll take another vacation only here at home!!

Tricia
  • Helendec1962
    Options
    Tricia, I think that's a great idea. Hmmm, I think I'll join you. A vacation away from my posessed scale will be like a week in paradise. lol
  • vpsmith14
    Options
    Tricia, I think that's a great idea. Hmmm, I think I'll join you. A vacation away from my posessed scale will be like a week in paradise. lol

Simply fabulous!! I think I'm giving it a month from Sunday. Until then, only working out and eating right. The numbers thing can take a hike!!! I'm taking a vacation here at home.

Tricia