Big Guy needs to start to exercise again

Options
I used to exercise a lot - tennis and squash were my favourite. I also swam and ran a lot - 6 marathons included. Then life took over and I grew (literally) out of control. I reached 330lbs !!!!! I have lost 50lbs for which I should be so proud. But I feel as though it has been pointless. I need to kick on. Exercise is the key. But now I am afraid of injury at this ridiculous weight. I need a plan that is realistic. - oh and I work away from home all week and work 12 hour days ........

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'd start with something manageable, both time and stress-wise. Can you walk at lunch? I take a 30 min walk every day at work.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You might consider a no equipment bodyweight program that has regressions and progressions. Al Kavadlo' "We're working out" app is something you might give a look. The paid version is ridiculously cheap although the free version will get you started.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lower impact aerobics to start. Be kind to your joints and build up over time. Walking is great. If you don't want to go outdoors look for "Walk At Home" videos on YouTube.....you can go at your own pace: https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

If you have access to equipment look for a recumbent bike, a rowing machine or eliptical.

Strength training is always good. Body weight exercises are a good start.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents worth: keep it simple and low impact to start with. The worst exercise regimen is one where you injure yourself. Walking on a treadmill or outdoors or elliptical machine is a great place to start.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You mentioned swimming. Why not get back into that? It's better on the joints since you are in the water.
  • RjMaan
    RjMaan Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oh, I am sorry for your such loss. but i think you should have proper consultation with some professionals.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I ran, walked and lifted while going from 300 lbs to 185 lbs, if I had to change certain things, it would be to NOT run until I was 220 pounds ( I started running at 300), I put my knees through alot of unnecessary pain and injuries.

Avoid bodyweight exercises when you're severely obese because you're putting excessive strain on your joints, do lift weights and strength train, lift light and work your way up while your weight goes down and eventually you will reach an equilibrium where you're light enough to balance your body weight on your joints while having the strength to balance yourself with your muscle so you're using your muscle more than your joints to exercise.

Your main goal right now is to lose all the weight until you have at least 35 BMI then you can dabble in running without injuring yourself.