How do exercise calories work?

Options
Hello, I am new to the site. I have been super ill for the last year and am re-entering the world. After 10-12 months of ZERO exercise and 10 extra pounds, my doctors are allowing me to get back in the swing. I go to an hour spinning class 4 to 5 times a week, do some light lifting and am getting ready to add Yoga to my routine. My question is this....when I record my exercise, I am gifted with all these calories for my daily intake. Am I really supposed to use these? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Replies

• lisaleigh
    Options
    Hello, I am new to the site. I have been super ill for the last year and am re-entering the world. After 10-12 months of ZERO exercise and 10 extra pounds, my doctors are allowing me to get back in the swing. I go to an hour spinning class 4 to 5 times a week, do some light lifting and am getting ready to add Yoga to my routine. My question is this....when I record my exercise, I am gifted with all these calories for my daily intake. Am I really supposed to use these? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!
  • repete11
    Options
    Yes you are! If you are looking to lose weight it is best to eat all of your exercise calories otherwise this site will yell at you and tell you you are going into starvation mode! :tongue: So, I know that I have lost a significant amount of weight by eating all of mine or close to it. But, eat when you are hungry and make sure and eat at least half of those calories when you do exercise! I promise you you will shed the weight off! ;)
  • lisaleigh
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Exercise really IS a blessing!!
  • lisaleigh
    Options
    Thanks so Much!!
  • mgeek40
    Options
    Well actaully, talk to your doctor. My profile gives me 3000 with out exorcise but my doc told me to be on 1500 + working out for the near future. Your doctor will always know best but you can use the reports here to show the doc what you are eating and he/she can then make recommendations.
  • lisaleigh
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I am a fresh fruit, lots of salad, a little lean meat, fish and small amounts of dairy kind of eater. (please ignore the whole cake in my hands in my profile pic!!)..so it takes quite a bit of food to fill my needs. Even with my exercise "allowance" I am still under 1700 calories a day....so I feel pretty comfortable with that. I read Banks explanation and it makes sense to me, so we'll see how it goes. Without asking, I'm quite sure my docs would have a cow :noway: if they knew I was consuming less than that, with the amount of exercise I do!!