Advice on buying clothes...

Options
GR8Prof
GR8Prof Posts: 12 Member
I have officially lost a 106 pounds. But, dressing this new body is hard. Any advice or suggestions? 6 foot, 189 pounds. Pear shaped, 40-34-45. Top measurement mostly back and bones only an A cup.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know without having the same body type what will work best for you. I do think being so tall you should have a pretty decent time finding flattering things. I say that because being semi tall (just 5'8") I seem to find it easier than some of my petite friends to "pull off" certain styles or lengths. I have slightly similar measurements to yours but I'm busty - so I can't really recommend specific items.

Anyway, I highly recommend looking at different fashion bloggers and finding some whose style and body type is loosely along your own and/or your goal "look". Even if they are shorter, heavier, smaller, etc...it is still great inspiration for shopping.

There are also a lot of books on fashion and style that fall along the lines of the older TV show "What Not to Wear" and I actually think those can be so helpful for anyone, but especially if you are trying to learn how to dress a new-to-you body! I can relate a little bit because going from a size 24/26 to 10/12, I really had to change it up a bit to flatter my body. For example I used to rely heavily on cardigans to hide various parts of my body and now it seems that cardigans (new ones in smaller sizes) are unflattering and the worst thing to make me look wider and frumpy. I used to love maxi skirts and now I look a bit swallowed up in them and have to go with knee length. Things like that.

Best of all is having a few outfits that you love & make you feel confident & awesome. Then you can just try shopping for other varieties, colors, patterns, of those same styles.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    When I'm to think of a tall pear/triangle shaped woman, who is practical & relatable - Geena Davis. Google her to ascertain if her sense of style and professionally styled looks appeals to you.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree on the knee length skirts - or slightly over knee. twin set cardigans and skirts is usually quite a nice way to dress. I'm 5 6 - 5 7 and pear shaped. Also close fitting 3/4 pants with a small amount of stretch in them work well too. Good luck and congrats on the healthy body you got yourself :)
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Take a friend who has a good eye. She/he will be able to see the new you more readily!
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You have to go and try things on. Take a range of sizes in something you like into the fitting rooms and go for it. Go smallest size and work upwards until you hit jackpot. And remember, there is zero standardisation in sizing across shops (or even within one shop) so same applies for everything you pick up (though once you get an idea of roughly where you are, your selection can reduce to two or three garments).
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Pear. I'm a short pear myself and I love fashion. Resources that have worked for me, Google image search, Pinterest and YouTube Fashion videos. I seach for YouTube fashionistas with similar body shape to mine and their Try-on haul videos. I'm more of an extreme pear with a waist to hip ratio of 0.61. You are bit more closer to an hourglass shape with a waist-hip ratio of 0.75. So you can also search for tall hourglass fashion tips. You have many options depending on your taste. Some departments stores offer Personal shoppers/stylist that are free. I think Macy's and Nordstrom does. Call you local department stores and see if they offer the service. I don't think you are required to buy anything.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7", 32/34A, Latin body...tiny waist, big butt. Wrap dresses are ALWAYS flattering. Also, being small chested we can get away with cute bralettes and backless shirts. As for jeans, I have to do the low to mid rise and have them sit on my hips or I'll have 4" of extra fabric on my waist.

I've learned with a smaller chest, lose cut shirts that are very flowy are flattering, because of my lack of boobs, they don't "tent".

Go to a nicer department store, explain your predicament to the sales clerk and let them help you find clothes that flatter your physique.
  • beckylop2018
    beckylop2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice from everyone! Be sure to donate your old clothes, meaning get rid of them. You don't want to have them there thinking you can use them later. Out with the old. Congratulations on bringing out the real you!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    some higher end department stores have personal shoppers who will help you to find clothes that fit your body style - def. recommend it if you can swing it
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Another idea is stitch fix. They will pick things out for you and send them to you and you can either buy or return. I’ve always wanted to do it, but I can’t afford it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Another idea is stitch fix. They will pick things out for you and send them to you and you can either buy or return. I’ve always wanted to do it, but I can’t afford it.

i was kind of disappointed in them...i basically said no paisleys, no ruffles...and that is basically all i got every month...even with all the feedback i was giving
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    some higher end department stores have personal shoppers who will help you to find clothes that fit your body style - def. recommend it if you can swing it

No one says you have to buy everything they pick.... Just got one good staple piece that is flattering. A great knee length dress that can be dressed up or down, even if a bit more expensive, it well worth it. I have a plain blue one that I can be dressed up to formal or paired with sandals for a casual look.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i was kind of disappointed in them...i basically said no paisleys, no ruffles...and that is basically all i got every month...even with all the feedback i was giving

That is such a bummer! :/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!