vegetarians/vegans where are you???

Options
is there a message board section anywhere for vegetarians/vegans?....i see posts here and there from fellow vegetarians and am wondering if there is a place we can all hang out together and discuss issues that pertain specifically to us...i have been a vegetarian for 18 years and realize now that one of the main reasons i am packing on extra weight is because i am going way over carbs every single day!!! :embarassed: ..i am so glad i found MFP last week...it is going to make a major difference in the way i eat and work on losing these extra pounds...would very much like to hear what works/doesn't work for the vegetarians/vegans out there...thanks in advance and blessings to you all on your journey :heart:

Replies

• spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    is there a message board section anywhere for vegetarians/vegans?....i see posts here and there from fellow vegetarians and am wondering if there is a place we can all hang out together and discuss issues that pertain specifically to us...i have been a vegetarian for 18 years and realize now that one of the main reasons i am packing on extra weight is because i am going way over carbs every single day!!! :embarassed: ..i am so glad i found MFP last week...it is going to make a major difference in the way i eat and work on losing these extra pounds...would very much like to hear what works/doesn't work for the vegetarians/vegans out there...thanks in advance and blessings to you all on your journey :heart:
  • superkitty7
    Options
    Hey!

I'm vegetarian too. I've been vegetarian since Sept 2008 and I guess I go over on carbs too b/c i can't seem to lose weight. I tried to be vegan for about a month but it was too demanding :(

Let's be MFP friends and keep in touch about what works until we can get a forum for folks like us!

Katie
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i'm vegetarian as well, and have been for about 11 years now.
  • sarah21
    sarah21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Iv been trying to be. at times it's hard cuz they toss bacon bits on salads at places and i can never remember to tell them to keep them off so i have to pick at it and look like a weirdo doing so.
    I was wondering what kinds of foods do you eat ?
    I eat a lot of salads, fruits, nuts, etc but so many people say that you have more opptions...what are they???

:smokin:

116647.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • m_bordeau23
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian!!!:smile:
  • kae12
    kae12 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey! It's great to see this thread. I've thought about posting the same question.

I've been a vegetarian for about a year and a half. Before that I was a pescatarian (ate fish but no other meat) for about 20 years. I'm new to MFP, too. I also noticed in the beginning that my carbs were very high and my protein and fat were on the low side. (Low-fat is good, of course, but I don't think I was getting enough healthy fats.) So what I did was started eating a small amount of nuts or nut butters each day as a snack instead of chips or some other carb-loaded treat -- and that has really helped. Almonds and pistachios are good choices. If you don't like nuts you could try the same thing with some other high protein veg. food. Don't worry too much about carbs, though. Calories are calories and if you focus on that you'll lose.

I'd love to keep this thread going and have a place to converse with my fellow veg-heads! :laugh:

Kelly
  • kae12
    Options
    Iv been trying to be. at times it's hard cuz they toss bacon bits on salads at places and i can never remember to tell them to keep them off so i have to pick at it and look like a weirdo doing so.
    I was wondering what kinds of foods do you eat ?
    I eat a lot of salads, fruits, nuts, etc but so many people say that you have more opptions...what are they???

Oh gosh, you can do a LOT with tofu, beans, tempeh, seitan, pasta, interesting grains like quinoa. Check out http://vegetarian.about.com/
  • kae12
    Options
    Bump.

Anyone out there?
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    I posted a similar thread a few months ago only got one response. I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I too struggle a bit with carbs and dieting. I am really trying to eat well and loose weight.

I lost 50lb 2 years ago and kept it off till a long illness helped me gain 20 back. I have a few things that I do that seem to help me loos weight.
    I researched a lot of things but being a vege I had to alter a lot for me.

I started out with a low fat low sugar diet and added things below.

I read a report about adding vitamin C, 250 mg 4 times a day ( lost 10lb with this and my low fat low sugar diet)

I found a research study by BYU that reported fat loss by adding 20g soy protein to your daily diet. (lost another 12 lb with the soy protein and vitamin C)

I started doing whole body cleanses every 4 months.(lost 10lb)

I added psyllium husk fiber to my routine (lost another 18 lb)

I had a diet of low fat and sugar, took 1000mg Vitamin C, Psyllium husk fiber, 20g soy protein, Whole body cleanse every 4 months.

One thought is if we add each other as friends that way we can all stay in better contact.
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    just wanted to see if anyone was there!!
  • spiritmi
    Options
    glad to see some vegans/vegetarians responding....i know more of us will join this thread as time passes...reading what works/doesn't work for people is interesting and informative...i still am going way over my carbs...over my fiber too, but that doesn't bother me a bit...do any of you use a protein powder?...i need to add more variety in the beans/grains i am eating...there are so many things to choose from and i tend to be in a rut...blessings to all, joan
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    I use soy protein powder. I use EAS brand but it has a lot of sugar. I am trying to find one with less sugar. It is a shake. I have also used plain soy protein powder in smoothies and baked goods.
  • flois
    flois Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi everyone

Another vegetarian here. I have been vegetarian for 23 years now. Even though I was big, I have always managed to keep a reasonably balanced diet until 2/3 years ago when I realised I was gaining even more by eating too many carbs too, especially pastries and cakes. Also far too much cheese and dairy.

Now I eat more fruit, salad and veg now and try not to snack too much. Maybe we could share a typical days food chart with each other once in a while? Here's one from me to start us off (I'm in the UK, so some food names may sound different!)

Today:
    Breakfast - Large glass of water, fruit and fibre cereal with 150ml soya milk
    Mid morning - Fresh pear and apple, 2 medium water. Cup of coffee
    Lunch - Two pitta bread with low fat soft cheese and carrot sticks. Medium water, cup of coffee
    Mid afternoon - Fresh mango, 2 medium water
    Dinner - Bean and lentil roast, roast squash, a few roast potatoes (very lightly oiled) cauliflower, kale.
    Snack - Low fat yoghurt, cup of decaf tea.

Keep in touch won't you all? Shall we call this a group now?!
  • kae12
    Options
    Hi veggie-peeps! Happy Valentine's Day!!! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

flois, I like your idea of posting menus. Here's one of mine from a good day:

B: oatmeal with raisins, coffee with soy milk
    S: apple with peanut butter
    L: Amy's frozen meal of some sort (these are great, btw)
    S: brown rice cakes, almonds, orange
    D: WeightWatchers zero pt veg soup, whole wheat pita with hummus & cucumbers
    S: small piece of chocolate, peppermint tea

How do we make this a regular group? Start a new thread, or can we just use this one?
  • delpha2
    Options
    Hi! Me too!

I am a vegetarian of 16 years (and I am only 29!). I've had bouts of veganism that have last one or two years in a stretch here and there. At the moment I live in Istanbul, probably the most challenging place for being a vegetarian that I've ever been lived in. There's no interesting stuff here like tofu or tempeh and a box of soymilk costs about six dollars!!! But there are lots of fresh veggies and an assortment of local dishes starring vegetables.

I wish I could be a vegan again because I felt so good and clean then - and I've gained a lot of weight here in Istanbul. Having a healthy lifestyle in this town is difficult. Everyone smokes and gyms are not very good. There aren't loads of yoga classes and certainly not many places to go for a hike (without a car!).

Delpha
  • spiritmi
    Options
    what a bunch of great people are showing up here!!!...ouch for your prices and lack of veg. items in istanbul...i thought i had problems living in the south where they have great beans and veggies but i can't eat them much in restaurants cause they season them with meat....but i can get free range eggs locally and lots of veggies in the summer....i can see from the posts that i need to try some other items like seitan and guinoa (which in 18 years i have never tried)..i love amy's frozen products too...i like just about anything steamed or roasted....and i have started making spagetti sauce using a bunch of veggies like carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, onion garlic...really good over spagetti squash (and that's a new veggie for me recently)...i am terrible doing things with tofu...anybody do anything interesting with it that i can try?...happy valentine's day to my new vegetarian/vegan friends!!!!...blessings to all!!!!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, not a veg/vegan but eat that way a lot. I'd love to jump in here now and then and share. Here's a pic and the recipe for my vegan mac n cheese. I just LOVE it!!

Vegan "Cheese" Sauce

1/4 cup raw cashews
    1 1/2 cups cold water
    2 ounces pimientos (half of a 4 oz. jar)
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2-1 teaspoon salt
    1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (optional)

Directions

1 Rinse cashews with hot water while combining the remaining ingredients (except chiles) in a blender.

2 Add cashews to blender and process on high for 1-2 minutes.

3 Cook in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick.

4 Add chiles and serve or use in other recipes that call for cheese sauce.

Makes approx. 2 cups sauce

I mix it with Barilla Plus pasta and top with toasted, seasoned breadcrumbs. SOOOO YUMMY!

Hope you enjoy!

(well I've tried a million times to post the picture, but it won't take the HTML code...sigh...and the picture looked so yummy, too!!)
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    -
  • kae12
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, Erin! I just started a new thread on the Food & Nutrition board for Vegetarian Recipes. Check it out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/41183-vegetarian-recipes-let-s-share

Have a happy Monday, everyone!
  • iclimbmountains
    Options
    I'm vegetarian too. I've been vegetarian since Sept 2008 and I guess I go over on carbs too b/c i can't seem to lose weight. I tried to be vegan for about a month but it was too demanding :(

Actually, I think the greatest hurdle to becoming vegan after being a vegetarian for a long time was thinking past the 'wow veganism is hard' state of mind, and trust me, that was a HUGE hurdle. Becoming vegetarian was very easy for me (I sat my chicken sandwich down on my plate, mid bite, and never touched the stuff again) but veganism was hard.

One day though I just thought to myself, no, it's not. Just stop eating dairy like you did with meat. And so I did. If it's that dairy comfort you're looking for, they make LOTS of great substitutions with rice and almonds. What's hard is buying processed foods that are vegan. But then, processed isn't so good for us anyway, right? :wink:

THOUGH, on the other hand, success at being vegan is also heavily dependant on where you live. I became vegan when I moved to Oregon, but this state has a HUGE understanding of the organic, vegan needs and even chain grocery stores have a vast selection. While I lived in the midwest, HA, it was virtually impossible. The 'vegan/organic' section was basically a small freezer with Boca products. Ugh. :noway:

At any rate, HELLO to all you fellow veg's in all your beautiful forms out there!