What's going on? My Left Calf is 2" Larger Than the Right.

Options
147Me
147Me Posts: 25 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello lovely folks of MFP!

I was hoping to get your input on this kind of strange thing that is happening to my leg.
Has this happening to you or someone you know? What was the cause of it and outcome?

• My left calf is now 2" larger in circumference than my right calf, and I think it's slowly getting larger (last year it was only an inch larger).
  • From the age of 12, I had lymphedema in my right leg from my knee down. That leg was always swollen and larger, by about an inch, than my right leg... until recently. It is a pitting edema and I wear a compression stocking for it.
  • At 30 years old, I gained about 150lbs in a year, going from slim to very obese. I stayed obese for a decade.
  • Then at 40 years old, I lost 90lbs and have kept it off for a couple of years.
  • I don't do a lot of walking, nor exercises that involve a lot of repetitive movement (I have psoriatic arthritis).
  • The left calf [that is now larger] doesn't have pitting edema. It feels quite solid to the touch, though the skin isn't taught. It doesn't feel flabby or fatty. It is not lumpy either.
  • The difference in its size, compared to the other leg, is VERY noticeable at this point.
    My jeans and slacks are starting to get too tight around my calf to wear them comfortably.
  • My legs are the same size from the knees up.
  • I am female (if that matters for this issue).

I wonder if it is lipedema or something else.
I will go see a GP about it in the next few weeks, but it's good to go into those appointments with some sort of understanding of one's own symptoms.
Where I'm from, GPs are overworked and tend to give you better care if you are able to properly describe your issue from the beginning.

Replies

• 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    147Me wrote: »

I was hoping to get your input on this kind of strange thing that is happening to my leg.
    Has this happening to you or someone you know? What was the cause of it and outcome?

• My left calf is now 2" larger in circumference than my right calf, and I think it's slowly getting larger (last year it was only an inch larger).
    • From the age of 12, I had lymphedema in my right leg from my knee down. That leg was always swollen and larger, by about an inch, than my right leg... until recently. It is a pitting edema and I wear a compression stocking for it.
    • At 30 years old, I gained about 150lbs in a year, going from slim to very obese. I stayed obese for a decade.
    • Then at 40 years old, I lost 90lbs and have kept it off for a couple of years.
    • I don't do a lot of walking, nor exercises that involve a lot of repetitive movement (I have psoriatic arthritis).
    • The left calf [that is now larger] doesn't have pitting edema. It feels quite solid to the touch, though the skin isn't taught. It doesn't feel flabby or fatty. It is not lumpy either.
    • The difference in its size, compared to the other leg, is VERY noticeable at this point.
      My jeans and slacks are starting to get too tight around my calf to wear them comfortably.

I will go see a GP about it in the next few weeks, but it's good to go into those appointments with some sort of understanding of one's own symptoms.
    Where I'm from, GPs are overworked and tend to give you better care if you are able to properly describe your issue from the beginning.

My right leg is larger, as is my ankle. I swell constantly in my lower legs and always more in my right one. I have Rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor told me that when my joints are swollen it's harder for the lymph fluid to circulate so it accumulates. I hate it but have found nothing that helps.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Is the calf area red and warm or hot to the touch, does it hurt when you put pressure on it, standing or walking? Maybe the doctor can give you an order for an ultrasound to make sure that you don't have any DVT forming in the area. Can you wear the compression stocking in that leg too to help with the circulation?

I hope that you can find an answer soon, but if you start having more problems, pain or discomfort don't hesitate to go to the ER or to an Urgent Care clinic for a prompt evaluation.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had surgery on my rt foot and rt ankle on 2 separate occasions and had to use crutches and wear a boot on my rt leg for 3-4 months on both occasions

As a result, my rt calf atrophied and is 1/2" smaller in circumference than my left calf but, based on appearance, the difference seems much greater than that.

At least it looks that way to me but it hasn't bothered me enough to do much about it, except for sometimes doing single legged calf raises but admittedly not enough to make a difference.

The only calf work that happens is as an indirect result of deadlifts and squats that I do regularly and hikes of 5-10 miles w/1-2k ft elevation changes that I only do occasionally.
  • 147Me
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Is the calf area red and warm or hot to the touch, does it hurt when you put pressure on it, standing or walking? Maybe the doctor can give you an order for an ultrasound to make sure that you don't have any DVT forming in the area. Can you wear the compression stocking in that leg too to help with the circulation?

I hope that you can find an answer soon, but if you start having more problems, pain or discomfort don't hesitate to go to the ER or to an Urgent Care clinic for a prompt evaluation.

Thank you for your response.

Nope, there's no pain, no redness, no extra warmth.
    The only discomfort is in wearing pants, which are always far too tight.

It isn't a difference in muscle mass either, like others have mentioned.
    It is excess fat, and it is getting worse/larger as I lose weight.

I've tried wearing a compression stocking on it. Unlike my lymphedema leg which benefits from compression, my fat left-leg is completely unaffected by a compression stocking. It has no pitting edema either.

Unfortunately, I cannot get into see a GP until next week, at the earliest.

• 147Me
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I had surgery on my rt foot and rt ankle on 2 separate occasions and had to use crutches and wear a boot on my rt leg for 3-4 months on both occasions

As a result, my rt calf atrophied and is 1/2" smaller in circumference than my left calf but, based on appearance, the difference seems much greater than that.

At least it looks that way to me but it hasn't bothered me enough to do much about it, except for sometimes doing single legged calf raises but admittedly not enough to make a difference.

The only calf work that happens is as an indirect result of deadlifts and squats that I do regularly and hikes of 5-10 miles w/1-2k ft elevation changes that I only do occasionally.

Thanks for your response.

Okay, well my calf is about 3-4" larger than it should be... So, that's a bit more than the 1/2" difference you've experience. Also, yours is a difference in muscle mass, mine is not.
    I hope your legs even out in size and strength with the calf raises you're doing.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Maybe your back is out and your not walking evenly so one leg is doing more work than the other?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    My right has been at least 1-3 inches larger since the 80's :)
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    According to the internet, lipedema doesn't start in the lower legs. It starts in the upper legs and affects both legs. See https://www.webmd.com/women/guide/lipedema-symptoms-treatment-causes#1,

Honestly, I'd try to get into the doctor's office as fast as possible. And I think you've done a good job of describing your symptoms. Be sure to write up a page describing your symptoms, as you did here, and take it with you to give to the doctor.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    You need to see a Dr - if only to rule out the possibility of atypical DVT.

Your list in OP is very good concise objective description of the problem and the relevant history.
    Take it with you to the Dr's.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what lipidermia is, but my right leg is also obviously much larger thsn the left. It doesn't hurt, so I'm not worried, but it does look weird.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, my husband had one calf that was noticeably larger than the other. I can’t remember how long it took to come on, but there was no redness or pain. We went to the ER to have it checked out, and it turned out to be a Bakers Cyst behind his knee.
  • 147Me
    Options
    wcop0x4dzvjm.jpg
  • candiceajay
    candiceajay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OMG I have this exact same thing. My left calf is 2 inches larger than my right and has been for years...like more than a decade. It's also very visablly noticeable. My Dr. never did any tests because it doesn't hurt so he figured nothing's wrong. I would love to know what causes this and how to fix it. I can upload a pic later.
  • jerry1971
    jerry1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    147Me wrote: »

I realize this is an old post but this is a very common condition that could be the result of varicose veins. You cannot always see them and treatment is well, its a decision you should make for yourself. Just be active and happy and be yourself life is short embrace the good times and forget the bad