Binge eaters?

Options
Within the past few months I’ve lost 50+ pounds through diet and exercise. I love the new healthy lifestyle I’ve developed. But I noticed any time I have food that’s not “healthy” it leads to a binge. Any tips on how to overcome this? It makes me feel horrible and I’m scared it’ll lead to falling off track altogether in the future

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Maybe stop looking at food as "healthy" or "bad". It's all just food and, within your calorie goals, will continue to lead to losing or maintaining your weight (depending on your goal). Ice cream? Some may think it's 'bad' or 'unhealthy', but it contains carbs (energy), protein (muscle health), fat (brain health as well as necessary for many vitamins absorbtion), vitamins like A, B2, B12, all vital. Sure, it's sweet, delicious and has sugar in it, but there's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't eat a half gallon at once.. and even that isn't going to undo anything as long as you balance it out over the course of a week.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    What specifically? Sweet, salty, fatty? Maybe you have a trigger that you need to be aware of and compensate for with alternatives? Ever heard "you can't eat just one"? Lays gives you permission to binge on their salty, addictive product. Self-awareness is your weapon to resist.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat!! Some days I can be accountable and put the cookies back but other times I binge.. can't have just 1. I feel terrible! I know it helps when I tell my friends or family close by to tell me "no! Dont do it!♡" Helps me stay accountable. Also, to drink a glass of water to fill my belly up.... so I feel full and uninterested in binging.
  • megz12380
    megz12380 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I binge... specifically when I'm upset. I go for chips, pizza, grilled cheese, ramen noodles...that stuff...I love it. Bread....I can't have any of those things in my house cause I will finish a bag of chips in a day. I will make 3 grilled cheese sandwiches...I love grilled cheese. But then I also find, if I don't eat this stuff once in awhile I will binge on it all. So it's hard. I can't have it...but I can't not have it. Ughhhhh
  • vampireebunny
    vampireebunny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First off, I just want to say congrats on your weight loss! c;
    I definitely know how you feel about the binge eating... I used to spend hundreds of dollars each month and I would do it in secrecy because I felt so ashamed... it was extremely hard to overcome, but I have. I still have my ups and downs...however I love being healthy and exercising, so when I feel a "binge" coming on I try to keep my thinking positive. And if I have that piece of cake...or 2... I slow down, and really, really think about what i'm doing to myself. I don't know about you, but when I binge I can eat even if I don't feel hungry. So by stopping and thinking hard about why i'm truly eating, I can talk myself into stopping and rationalizing about it. Before, I would stay in denial about it and overcompensate by working out twice as long, but my state of mind was not the greatest then. Ask yourself why you're really doing it, and why you feel like.you cant stop. And do not beat yourself up when you do binge! that makes it ten times worse and makes you less motivated the day after. Just brush it off and stay positive! Best of luck :)
  • monet4190
    monet4190 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I read once that it's important to remember that there is no "wagon", there are only choices. It is really easy to think, "I've already had something bad for me, I already fell off the wagon today, so I may as well keep going." In reality, one less-than-healthy choice doesn't negate all the other healthy choices you are making. Be kind to yourself.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've tried every approach to overcome binging and the only thing that works for me is to use the Keto diet as a tool to curb my appetite and keep me in deficit.
  • SlimKim11
    SlimKim11 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with binge eating too. It's a topic not many can understand. I've been researching and trying all kinds of different ideas to help with binge eating. The thing that is really working for me right now is "urge surfing ". You can Google that topic and read up on it for yourself. I've made it over 3 weeks now without a binge. Best of luck to you in finding what works for you.

Also...a book called "brain over binge " is quite helpful....lots of YouTube videos and articles written on this.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I finally reached my weight loss goal, I maintained it for about a year - then, I moved, started college, got a new job, and started binging. I blamed it on winter, I never lived in a place where there was always snow on the ground in winter - but it was just an excuse. For me, I was running every day several miles, my steps averaged 40,000 a day. Looking back I realized I wasn’t eating enough - not nearly enough. For me I was binging because I needed more calories - but I would binge to a point where I was taking in more than I needed and would binge sweets. I don’t know why the sweets got me, I never shied away from a cookie or a couple of squares of chocolate but now I was inhaling truffles, cakes, etc. then I got to a point where I declared I was going to eat what I want when I want. I gained 50 pounds back.

Looking back, I needed to eat more. I needed to eat the right foods. And I spent a long time getting to my desired weight goal I didn’t know how to maintain my weight.

Now I’m back, eating healthy this time when I get to my desired weight I have a maintenance plan in place.

Keep your chin up and *kitten* your maintenance, make sure your eating enough.

Best of luck to you