Losing weight over 40

Options
irejb
irejb Posts: 64 Member
8 months ago, I was struck by a car and slowly but surely my body is healing.

Unfortunately, I gain a lot of weight prior and during the 8 month period and am unable to do high impact exercise which I use to do before. High impact exercise easily aggravates the disc bulges and herniation which I now have.

Has anyone lost weight by doing low-impact exercise (of course in conjunction with a healthy diet)? I've read so many conflicting information stating that people over 40 need to do high impact information along with weight training in order to lose weight; but, at 41 years old, with disc bulges and herniation, I am unable, at the moment, to engage in high impact activities;plus, I want something easy on the joints.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit. Exercise is for cardiovascular and musculoskeletal health. Do what works best for you when it comes to exercise.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I walk at a moderate pace daily. I do this more for health than anything else. Last year I got tired of exercise and took summer and fall off. Still maintained weight within 5-10 pounds. Did nothing but count calories. As long as you eat less than your body burns you'll lose weight. Nothing more than that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I mostly cycle.
  • miztery01
    miztery01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really think you can lose weight doing low impact exercise. It might be slower but it’s easier on your joints. Add me as a buddy if ya want
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, all you need to do is consume less calories than you expend. Tagging along with that is that it's a good idea to eat a reasonably balanced diet.

With that said, strength training and cardiovascular exercise are both very beneficial for overall health/fitness, mobility, body composition and aesthetic goals.

There are plenty of low-impact exercises: swimming, walking, elliptical trainer, rowing, cycling (road, stationary, recumbent), yoga, etc. But given your existing injuries, you should consult with your doctor/treatment team for professional advice about your rehab/exercise program.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 994 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am so sorry about your accident. It does take patience to let the body heal.

I lost weight last fall by walking and eating in a calorie deficit. Then in the winter I started swimming. I had several surgeries a few years ago and had quit bicycling, running, hiking, skiing, snow shoeing and tennis. Plus depressed about how much my body was weak I packed on lbs. I tried a personal trainer who wanted me to do sit ups, planks, etc. that my stomach muscles were not ready for and put me in more pain...my body just was not ready. I think the walking and swimming helped immensely...esp. swimming. It uses arms, back, stomach and legs. I completed a Rookie Tri last week...no bragging about time because I was slow but I finished it and was not last! I do like the indoor spin bike but don't go to group classes. I found several you tube spin classes that are more like bicycling than trying to jump up and down on a bike. I also have a wonderful gentle yoga dvd that I love to do.

Can you ask your Dr. for a referral to a Physical Therapist?

p.s. I turn the big 60 this year.
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’m 46, have had 2 partial knee replacements as well as carpal tunnel surgery on both hands all within the past 5 years. About a decade ago I also was a Jazzercise instructor and mostly taught high impact.

Now that I’ve had the knee surgeries I can no longer do high impact excercise, even squats hurt like a mofo.
    Hubby bought me a treadmill and I walk at least 30 mins daily. Well if I’m being honest I haven’t done that in months, but I do get 10,000 plus steps in daily.

I started my weight loss journey July of 2016, and am down 40 pds...I am not at goal yet ( another 10 pds), but have maintained my weight loss for over a year and a half. I just followed what mfp gives me as far as calories.

Point is u can lose weight with calorie deficit and if u want to add in walking or swimming is even better for the joints that would aid in loss as well. And age is just a #...u can lose the weight.

Good luck!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your accident too!

I'm 58 with two really bad knees that will be getting replaced later this year.

Standing used to feel like high impact exercise. :#:o:s

I concentrated on diet first then worked in cycling and rowing. After a few months I added walking.

I try to do at least 30 minutes of some sort of deliberate exercise every day.

Since April 2017 I've lost 109 lbs. :)