I didn't know I have asthma.

Options
I've been wondering why my throat always starts closing up when I run. Apparently, I have asthma. I'm so upset, I can barely breathe! (ha.) Does this mean I have to stop running? It does run in my family. I don't have health insurance, and I can't afford treatment right now.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and I run. I pace myself and let my body adjust as I increase my speed. I also make sure that my top speed doesn't cause me to have breathing issues (even if it means lowering my speed).
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    i have had asthma since i was 13 im now 39. i can excercise hard, i just work up to it.
    if i suddenly go mad i end up wheezy, if i slowly build i am usually fine.

make sure you take any meds you are given
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    maybe your doc can prescribe a generic/cheap inhaler. if it only bothers you when you are running the inhaler should last a while. I've found that my exercise induced asthma is worse during winter and during the summer I barely need to use my inhaler. Maybe you will get lucky and only need help seasonally which will also help keep cost down.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    it depends on the severity of the symptoms but I'd advise finding another exercise until you can afford treatment because you really do need to be carrying your treatment if you are experiencing difficulty breathing when running.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma, too. My inhalers are lasting forever... I just started working out again, and am doing the 30DS and C25K, and just get a bit wheezey after the running. I'm finding it is getting better as I exercise more, and lose weight, though!

I hope things go ok for you, and you're able to get a cheap inhaler if you need it.

Best of luck!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    My son has asthma and runs and bikes, but he does have an inhaler, which can be life saving and prevent a bad problem with breathing. I think it is very improtant that you get an inhaler :-) It`s not nice when I have seen my son have a bad asthma attack when he was younger and take to ER and given a high dose of steroids. Prevention is better than cure!

also may I just say chevygrl how amazing you look in your after pic, well done you !
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    No it does not have to stop you. I have asthma and stupidly was a smoker. I quit smoking over 1 1/2 years ago. I tend to only have problems now when it is humid or the pollen count is up. When it is like that, I take a puff off my inhaler and give it enough time to take effect. Once it does, I pace myself and let my body adjust.

Since you don't have insurance you "could" try Primatene Mist which is an over the counter inhalant for asthma but I have only used Primatene Mist when I was in a pinch and forgot my inhaler. I would still go see a Dr. as soon as you can so that you can get it properly diagnosed and treated.
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor why it was hard to breathe for me when running and he said I have exercise asthma, starting off slowly for the first couple of km's then my lungs open up, I also use breathe right strips and this helps some.

Good Luck.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

Usually he will tell you to hit your inhaler before running.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    How do you KNOW you have asthma? were you diagnosed by a doctor?

Please DO NOT attempt to use an over the counter inhaler (like Primatine Mist) without consulting a doctor. Breathing problems can be a sign of a heart condition. I KNOW BECAUSE >>>>MY<<<<< HUSBAND DIED FROM THIS MISTAKE.

sorry to sound dramatic but I don't want anything bad to happen to you

~Sharon
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I had trouble breathing while running and my doctor told me I had "exercise induced asthma." He prescribed an inhaler and I generally use it 2 out every 5 runs I do.

Go see your doctor, get a proper diagonsis and go from there.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I would lay off the running until you can see a doctor. Since you don't have insurance, maybe switch to less strenuous activity, even fast walking with some jogging. You should figure out where you are with your asthma first.

Personal experience: My asthma is pretty under control (take Qvar daily) and have albuterol for emergencies, but I had a couple "asthma attacks" where I had to use my inhalor while I was out running. Now I always have my inhalor and tell someone where I am going (I run outside). Just be careful and don't push yourself too much.
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with sports induced asthma, but I take the treatment for it.

However, I used a power breathe (blue one) and noticed a difference in performance.

Steroid, usually brown inhalers (preventors)
    I call them speed inhalers, releivers

It would be better for yourself not to push yourself until you get diagnosed/treated, your health is alot more important than a few pounds in your pocket.