To gym or not to gym

Options
I have a very nice elliptical machine at home that I do 30 minutes on 5-6 times a week, and I do a 20 minute yoga routine after that. I also have several DVDs that I can use and YouTube channels to keep it fresh. But I'm wondering if joining a gym would be better. I'm still 85 pounds overweight and I'm always worried about being fat shamed, though when I was fit and going to a gym I never noticed anyone being mean.
I'd love to hear opinions for both sides. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you need a gym to meet your goals?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my gym membership after 4 years, got a treadmill for my house instead. It's so much nicer to workout at home, and I'm already saving money, plus it's dependent on my schedule, and my house isn't closed on Holidays and snow days (I have adjustable dumbbells too). Nobody cares about your weight at the gym though, believe me... there'll always be bigger people there.

It depends on your goals though. If you want to lift heavy, unless you have the space/money for the stuff, you'll pretty much have to go. If you're the type of person who likes to work out with others, you might like group classes too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should point out that there are other ways of doing resistance training. It depends on your goals. There are body weight and resistance bands as well. Routines for these things are also available on youtube or a simple Amazon purchase.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Seconding that it matters what your fitness goals are, as well as your preferences (i.e., what kinds of exercise and environment you find most enjoyable and motivating).

I've been very active for fifteen years plus, including going to my YMCA regularly, even while obese. (I've only been thin for about 3 of those years). My peak weight during that time was maybe in the 180s or so at 5'5", so "only" about 60 pounds to lose.

I admit I'm not a hypersensitive person, but I'm not oblivious to others either, and I can't think of any case where I personally felt fat-shamed, unless you count some cases where, between my age (now 62) and weight, I felt like there were sometimes low expectations at first - meant very kindly, such as how a few instructors talked about starting points or modifications. Kind of the flip side was a more frequent thing, i.e., I had the feeling I was exceeding some people's expectations . . . and once in a rare while even sorta ticking off some slimmer, younger fellow classmate in group classes who was apparently tiring out before I did. ;) (I miss that part a little. ;) ).

I regularly see overweight to very obese people at my Y, as well as some who are ultra-thin and not very fit looking (maybe recovering from something?), and people of all ages/sizes/fitness generally, including some who are obviously very strong and fit. While it's purely casual observation, not in-depth study, it looks as if most fellow gym-goers tend to treat the full range of people pretty much the same way: They might say "Hi" or something, but mostly people just get to their workout, and don't pay much attention to others. I will say that I don't spend much time in the weight room there (I lift at home), but as I go by there after spin class, I see quite a range of people in the room, working quite a range of weights, and they all seem to just be going about their workouts like those in the areas I'm more familiar with.

I'm sure others' experiences in other places can be different, but that's been mine.
  • ckam78
    ckam78 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I’ve done both ways. One key question is classes - do you like your routine & self management on your own or do you get fitness inspiration from different type class environments & the community that a gym offers? If the later, a gym might be worthwhile for long term motivation. Maybe try a trial at a gym to see if you like the classes, environment? Personally I don’t do classes but I do like community & the fact people expect me places improves consistency. I also worry about being judged (not unique to presumptions about gym) and truthfully noone ever has been anything but nice & encouraging. If it will just be you doing elliptical there instead of home, then maybe focus on home resources & videos to keep things new & to avoid getting bored w/ workout there. ...but don’t let worry hold you back, find plan that 1) you most likely will keep up with long term, and 2) motivates you to maximize your workout.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I used to like working out at home. Then I found a gym I love and it's changed everything. I realize I work 200% harder for my trainer when I take classes than I would on my own. Plus I like to lift and don't have room for a whole set up right now, so there's that....
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've never been to a gym and exercise everyday, either walking outside, walking up and down stairs, doing exercise videos on YouTube or Yoga. You don't need to go to a gym to exercise.
    to be honest if I had all the equipment you had I wouldn't even thing about paying to go to a gym.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    While I hate having to go some where after work I find that I get my better workouts at the gym. I guess my mindset is that I drove here I may as well put the time in. I do lift weights at home though so my time at the gym is strictly cardio. I have a decent weight set at home so I alternate cardio/strength training days...but, when I'm home I do a set, pet the dog, do a set, throw the dogs toy, do a set, find whatever it is that my kids/husband is looking for....you get the idea. Sometimes the gym is "my time" as sad as that sounds lol
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oh and I can tell you the people in my gym are all different sizes and ages. No one pays attention we're all just focused on what we're there to do.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Big fan of the gym. Once you get there you are committed--at home it's too easy to get distracted. Gym has more options to prevent burnout. Watching others is a good way to learn things.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I love my gym. We have people of all ages, shapes, and sizes without any shaming going on. We are all there focused on ourselves. I also really enjoy hiking, trail running, and home workouts as a part of my fitness sometimes. The variety keeps me motivated and I have found aids my recovery because I'm constantly switching it up.
  • breebeasley76
    breebeasley76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you need a gym to meet your goals?

No
  • breebeasley76
    breebeasley76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In what way do you think a gym would be better?

The only thing I do in the gym is lift a few days per week...otherwise I'm out on the road on my bike. Home workouts are what you make of them...same for gym workouts. Plenty of people in the gym just spinning their wheels.

ETA: personally, if I could have even half of the weight lifting equipment in my home that I have in the gym, I'd skip the gym altogether...just another place I have to go. I'd much prefer to lift at home and not have to add another destination to my day, but I don't have the equipment or anywhere to put it.

The gym would mainly be a different environment for me. I'm a housewife with no little ones at home anymore. My social circle is seriously just my husband and daughter. The gym would also have more options. But I'm not sure it's enough for me to make the plunge. I lived in a different state last time I went to a gym and always had a workout buddy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i cant work out well, or consistently at home. for me, i HAVE to go because it gets me in the mindset. if im working out at home, all i think about is everything i could or should be doing.

ive been a member of ....5 different ones over the years. ive never see anyone being mean or even caring what anyone else was doing.

i wouldnt use it to expand your social circle though, people who try to talk to me annoy the ever loving *kitten* out of me. im not there to make friends. a class environment (zumba, aerobics, etc) might be worth looking into if thats what youre looking for. i enjoyed zumba, but way too.... people-y for me. chatty housewives arent my thing (no offense LOLOLOL)
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. Play some good music and I just get it done. Either way is fine...gym or at home.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    Big fan of the gym. Once you get there you are committed--at home it's too easy to get distracted. Gym has more options to prevent burnout. Watching others is a good way to learn things.

Very good points (with the possible exception of watching others :lol: )

I was much more disciplined about working out when I had a gym membership and was not living with my OH. I went to the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays without fail.

It is indeed much easier for me to get distracted at home.

Also, while I like my workout very much, I don't feel like I'm progressing like I should with resistance bands, and need to get more proper dumbbells and a bench. I've known this for some time and keep putting it off.