Need some pet lovers and experts helpp

Options
karrywoo
karrywoo Posts: 3 Member
Hi guys im having interest in adopting a bunny or a puppy/dog and im having some trouble to decide. I am more kin in adopting a puppy but there are a few points that im worried.
1. A puppy is very expensive
2. Their food are also very costly
3. Their mantainence is also absolutely costly
However ,a bunny might be cheaper but there are also some disadvantages
1.they cannot have a bath
2.they can easily get shocked to death
3.they cannot accompany and play with me like how a puppy can
4.they are kinda dirty

So guys i really need some experts' suggestion. Your suggestion will be truly appreciated <3

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    All pets cost money. They all poop and need food. They all need a safe environment and care.

Puppies also need training, attention, exercise. They may have accidents or chew on things. You may need lots of things like brushes, shampoo, food and water dishes, collar, leash, pet carrier, crate, bed. They need regular grooming.. They may shed. You may have to clean up their poop if you walk them or don't want poop in your yard. They can be noisy. In my area you have to pay a fee to the city for every dog you own on a yearly basis. If you have never had a dog an older dog may be easier than a puppy.

I had a rabbit when I was a kid. It pooped a lot but if its cage was clean it was not really dirty. It would chew on things. I don't know how much a rabbit would want to be handled or play with a person. I think they need a lot of space and maintenance. I don't think a rabbit is a great choice for many people.

A cat is clean, requires less exercise, rarely needs bathing, may need less attention than a dog. They can be playful and interact with you. Cost may be similar to a dog or may be cheaper. Can be lower maintenance.

We have guinea pigs. They require a pretty large cage, more than 1 guinea pig, hay, water, fresh foods. You have to buy disposable bedding or be prepared to wash reusable bedding often. Lots of poop. You could bathe them but it really is not necessary to do much if you keep their cage clean. They are not really playful like a puppy or a cat but are cute and funny.

A hamster is pretty clean and inexpensive. They don't need as much space as a guinea pig or rabbit. They can be fun.

Birds are noisy and can be a bit messy. They may be expensive. They might live a very long time.

Fish can be inexpensive pets. They are pretty. You don't interact much. Some are easier to care for than others.

A gecko or hermit crab might not be very expensive. You probably can't play with them.

I would suggest considering a cat or hamster.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/spending/T063-S001-the-cost-of-owning-5-popular-small-household-pets/index.html
    https://www.moneyunder30.com/the-true-cost-of-pet-ownership
    https://lifehacker.com/this-aspca-chart-shows-you-the-cost-of-owning-a-pet-1700938002
  • karrywoo
    karrywoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    Do you have time in you're life to spend with a puppy as they like alot of attention .
    Are you home alot or do you work many hours ?

I don't know where you are from but you will also have to take you're puppy to get it's shots at the vet . And that cost money as well .

Maybe getting a Guinea pig is a better choice .

Thanks, may i know whether a Guinea pig is a dirty pet and whether it suits people who has a fetish of cleanliness?
  • SpartanRunner1978
    SpartanRunner1978 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    If you have a fetish of cleanliness then you shouldn't get a pet.

I was thinking the same thing! Unless you get one of those scary hairless cat things that look weird (apologies if you have one, but they are weird).
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't mean to be rude but from reading your questions/points I'm not really sure you're ready for a pet. Both of those animals need a really big commitment in time, emotionally and financially. They also both live for a very long time. Perhaps 9 years for a rabbit and maybe 12 or more for a dog.

You should do a little more research and maybe even look after someone else's pet while they are away.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET A DOG.

Probably don't get a bunny. But definitely don't get a dog. You're not ready for it.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can just feed some birds outside for a while. I've heard that crows can remember faces and they can give gifts. How awesome would that be? A whole army of friendly and loyal crows, bringing you shiny things.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You sound like you would be better suited to an older lower energy dog, because you don't mention training, the extensive energy and attention puppies require. Are you able to give a puppy that time and care? Do you want to? Do you have an idea how much time and care a puppy requires?

Don't get a bunny, if you start a sentence with "however," in regards to getting a pet it sends a red flag that you aren't excited to have that animal as a pet.

"people who has a fetish of cleanliness" --> probably shouldn't get a dog maybe a hermit crab or snake would be better, if you have a fetish with cleaning then a dog/cat/rabbit would be great for you
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Do not get a dog, rabbit, or cat if you have a cleanliness fetish. They will all poop, pee, or vomit on the floor at some point no matter how well trained they are. Start with a goldfish and see how it goes. They're inexpensive, easy to clean, cute, and will come over to you when you approach the bowl.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    All pets are messy.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Also if I can interject on the hermit crab idea, don't get those either. Most people have no idea how much they'll have to invest to have healthy and happy hermits. I've had mine for 7 years and they were older than that when I bought them. They can live to be about 30 years old if cared for properly, meaning no little plastic tank with a sponge in the water bowl. Mine are in a 65 gallon tank with 200 pounds of sand and bags of eco earth to give them plenty of depth to burrow and molt. They also need to climb so branches, vines, fake trees anything they can climb up on. Their tank has to be a certain temperature and humidity level as they have modified gills and need humidity to breathe. They need fresh and salt water, but not table salt. They also need multiple shells to choose from and bigger ones for after their molt.

TL;DR don't buy hermit crabs.
  • lotsahere
    lotsahere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    If you have a fetish of cleanliness then you shouldn't get a pet.

Saves on killing yourself chasing pet hair....so speaks a known hairball chaser.....wouldnt live without...I just have to be NOT perfect. :)
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I would say neither. Sounds like you don't really want a rabbit and you cant afford a dog.

DO NOT BE ANOTHER OWNER WHO GET A PET THEY CANT ACTUALLY AFFORD AND JUST ENDS UP RETURNING IT OR PAWNING IT OFF ON SOMEONE ELSE. you are not doing the animal a favor.

.. this!

• go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    If you can’t decide get both