Where do I begin?

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I used the app for awhile before, and i lost some weight, but i stopped. I am back now and back to the weight i left (i had gained a few pounds back).

I want to stick with it this time. So far, i am okay with the calories. I have 1270 before i get my exercise calories. I am pretty sedentary, but i walk my dog daily. I have my fitbit synced to mfp.

I read the links and one mentiond strength training. I don't know what i can do at home. I dont want to join a gym if i am not going to use it. Part of it is laziness, but i also have an issue with fatigue. I don't know why. I can stay in bed and still be exhausted.

I saw some info on nerd fitness last time and tried some home exercises. Are there other sites? Should i search youtube?

I know i can lose without exercise, but i want to be healthy.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Youtube body weight exercises. Or check out "you are your own gym" (my library has a copy of the book so might be worth checking your if you dont want to buy it)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    What's the issue with fatigue? Have you had a physical? If you don't have some sort of condition causing the fatigue you might just be in really poor physical shape--or both? I'd start by increasing cardio--longer walks, biking, jogging, swimming. As you lose weight your energy will increase--ramp up the exercise and get in that virtuous circle. Strength training will help you in the long run, yes, YouTube can help. Bottom line is use it or lose it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Have you had bloodwork done recently? Anemia and thyroid are two common reasons for fatigue, but there are many. Get with a doctor and demand some answers! Doctors like to blow off middle aged woman as just fat and lazy, when often there is a correctable physical issue.

You don't need a gym to start adding strength to your routine. Grab some water bottles and use them for arm exercises. When you get stronger you can use a broomstick and gallon jugs. Just sitting and watching TV can be a workout if you swing your bottles around. Bodyweight squats and lunges, and crunches and push-ups (can start with knee or even wall push-ups) will get you started. Check out YouTube videos if you want a routine. I like FitnessBlender.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Yes, I have had a physical. I have sleep apnea but I can control that (I have a mouthguard and side sleep). That could improve with weight loss. I take psych meds that can cause fatigue but I take those at night. I am in bad shape, yes.

I looked at some home exercise apps. I don't know if any are better than others. I downloaded one and will try it.
  • AmChristo91
    AmChristo91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started with workout apps. I made myself stick to it. Started with one then I worked in two. Now at night I do 3 different workout apps just to get a good workout in. Burn anywhere between 181kcal to 333kcal. I used Buttocks workout app, Abs workout app and Lose weight in 30 days app.

I also do a workout video in the mornings burning 240+ kcal.

So if you can't go to the gym and you're battling with fatigue, then I'd start out small. Work your way up to a good routine. I hope you find something that works for you!

• jonagolddreams
    jonagolddreams Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I struggle with fatigue, too. Part of it I'm sure is having two children and the constant demand that entails, but I find myself waking up just as exhausted as I go to sleep. I'm hoping that weight loss and better fitness will help with this, it's not fun to deal with on a regular basis. It inhibits my desire to work out, but for now I'm trying to push through it and just do small things in the beginning. Here's hoping we both find a solution.

• AmChristo91
    AmChristo91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are experiencing really bad fatigue like.. getting hit by a truck type of sudden tired then you might need to get your thyroid checked. When mine was undiagnosed I was sleeping all the time. I would be tired just doing nothing and a lot of people thought I was lazy as *kitten*. But I literally couldn't make my body do anything.
  • mikeandcris
    mikeandcris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Walk one hour every single day. Monday through Friday. Especially Saturday and include Sunday. Every day. You need to establish a habit of doing something healthy and, because walking is pretty darn easy for most folks, it's something you can stick with. Once the habit is established, you can branch out to other exercises. Here's a youtube video that directed to young athletes, but has an important message for all of us. Walk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKelkKvm49Y&t=170s
  • lorib642
    Options
    @mikeandcris Thank you. That video is encouraging. I can walk for an hour. Now i need an ipod
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Lori I have found for myself the more I move the more energy I have. I dont know the science behind it but when I'm being lazy I'm even more tired. Walking is a great exercise and its spring time so a perfect time to get started!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would start by just walking. It's really not a bad form of exercise. Start with something like one mile a day and gradually add some distance each week until you get up to three miles daily. Once you let that settle in and are not struggling add some strength using your body weight as resistance like push ups on your knees. Start slow and build by adding a little bit each day.
  • johnson91308
    johnson91308 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday at home doing body weight exercises. I find most of my routines on Pinterest.. I will add to it or adjust if needed. I walk on my breaks at work throughout the day and/or will take my dog for a walk after work. I've been at it since the beginning of February. I am down 33 pounds... This seems to have worked out for me.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Give it a really serious try for 30 days and come back here often for answers.

This is helping me change my eating behavior instead of dieting:
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mindful-eating-guide
    There's a lot of mindful eating advice on the web

I also did a free trial of platejoy.com and now am hooked. Our dining out went from 3 times per week to once per month. Recipes for food I buy and prepare myself are flavorful, healthy, and fit my calorie goals. Diet food and planning burn me out quick, but platejoy solves that problem.

I started walking 1 mile per day in January (20 minutes) and worked up to 4 miles per day (80 minutes).
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I used the app for awhile before, and i lost some weight, but i stopped. I am back now and back to the weight i left (i had gained a few pounds back).

I want to stick with it this time. So far, i am okay with the calories. I have 1270 before i get my exercise calories. I am pretty sedentary, but i walk my dog daily. I have my fitbit synced to mfp.

I read the links and one mentiond strength training. I don't know what i can do at home. I dont want to join a gym if i am not going to use it. Part of it is laziness, but i also have an issue with fatigue. I don't know why. I can stay in bed and still be exhausted.

I saw some info on nerd fitness last time and tried some home exercises. Are there other sites? Should i search youtube?

I know i can lose without exercise, but i want to be healthy.

Thanks for any advice.

Lori, I completely understand where you are coming from. Before my weight loss, I was a total couch potato and really afraid of going to the gym (I was afraid that people would either judge and/or make fun of me "the fat girl" at the gym). So I started doing beginner yoga videos on YouTube in the privacy of my own home. There are so many great exercise videos on YouTube. Just type "Beginner (whatever exercise you want) workout video" and you should yield many results. There are some great free smartphone apps too. Same thing, it guides you through a workout that you can do anywhere, no gym or equipment needed. Also check out your local library for workout videos and books. Just a few things to keep in mind. :)