6 Small Meals a Day?

Jeeplet18
Jeeplet18 Posts: 57 Member
Hey there everyone -
I have just had a bout with pancreatitis that put me in the hospital for 5 days (I actually got out this morning - woot woot.) I did a lot of research about dealing with pancreatitis while I was in the hospital and I learned that once you have it, you have a better chance to get it again. One recommendation I kept reading over and over again (besides eating anti-inflammatory foods, and low fat) is eating 6 small meals a day. According to what I have read, 6 small meals is easier on the pancreas and it doesn't "stress it out" like three larger meals would.
Now, I have been considering this and it makes sense I suppose and am willing to give it a shot for now and see what happens. However, I am finding it hard to wrap my mind around breaking up a whole day into 6 small meals ranging in 300 to 150 calories each (that would equal my 1300 calorie goal for the day).

Is there anyone here that follows a similar meal plan of eating several small meals a day (this has nothing to do with pancreatitis or WHAT foods to eat for that). I just want to get some ideas on what YOU eat day to day to get all your calories in. I appreciate anyone's help with this!!!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Maybe it helps with digestion, but in terms of caloric or macro intake, the body is going through the same metabolic process to digest those meals regardless if it’s in 3 or 6. For example, insulin secretion (assuming same macro intake) spread over 6 meals vs 3 will be the same for the body
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    What does your doctor think?

Small meals are hard for me, but a few things that are around 150-300 calories

Yogurt and fruit
    Cheese and fruit
    Lean meat and veggies
    Soup
    Eggs and toast
    Salad
    Taco

You can always break down your meals too
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Jeeplet18 wrote: »
    Hey there everyone -
    I have just had a bout with pancreatitis that put me in the hospital for 5 days (I actually got out this morning - woot woot.) I did a lot of research about dealing with pancreatitis while I was in the hospital and I learned that once you have it, you have a better chance to get it again. One recommendation I kept reading over and over again (besides eating anti-inflammatory foods, and low fat) is eating 6 small meals a day. According to what I have read, 6 small meals is easier on the pancreas and it doesn't "stress it out" like three larger meals would.
    Now, I have been considering this and it makes sense I suppose and am willing to give it a shot for now and see what happens. However, I am finding it hard to wrap my mind around breaking up a whole day into 6 small meals ranging in 300 to 150 calories each (that would equal my 1300 calorie goal for the day).

Is there anyone here that follows a similar meal plan of eating several small meals a day (this has nothing to do with pancreatitis or WHAT foods to eat for that). I just want to get some ideas on what YOU eat day to day to get all your calories in. I appreciate anyone's help with this!!!

So my wife had pancreatitis for about a year and a half. Ever since, she still maintained about 2 or 3 meals a day, and mainly just focuses on whole foods. She doesn't do low fat or anything. Since then, she hasn't had any more bouts of it.

In general, breakfast will either be eggs, english muffin, pancakes, bacon, yogurt or a combination if that.

Lunch is a combination of either a sandwich, fruit, yogurt, etc.....

Dinner has largely been unchanged as well. So she will eat, steak, chicken, pork, yakisoba noodles, seafood, etc..
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Eating 6 times a day would drive me nuts. I would break it down differently though. I'd want 2 bigger sized meals, 1 smaller meal, and then snacks. I'd probably do it like this

1 - 100 calories (protein shake)
    2 - 200 calories (protein bar)
    3- 100 calories (banana)
    4- 400 calories (protein, starch and fat and vegetable)
    5- 400 calories (protein, fat, vegetable and beer)
    6- 100 calories (fruit)

Eat whatever you want that will fit your calorie allotments. And you can play with it day to day to see what works best for your body.
  • Jeeplet18
    Jeeplet18 Posts: 57 Member
    Thank you all!! Yeah I'm struggling comprehending it myself... especially trying to pack it all for work!? Well we will see how it all plays out in the end!

The only thing my doctor said was a "heart healthy diet" nothing else.

@psuLemon, thank you for that and I'm glad to hear the outcome your wife had!!! That makes me happy to hear.

I guess it's a play by ear kind of a thing... well see what happens.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    This is kind of the plan I follow daily. I eat about 1400 calories and about 1/2 my exercise calories.
    I start with a smoothie for breakfast, then have a morning snack, then lunch which is usually leftovers from the night before (larger meal than the first two), then an afternoon snack and dinner (largest meal). If I have leftover calories I'll eat a snack before bed but rarely do I feel the need.
    This helps me b/c I can eat every 2-3 hours without feeling like I'm overdoing it. I also fee full and know that I'm getting the protein I need to keep going.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Oh, I also eat a heart healthy diet as my husband and I both have high cholesterol. That part was tricky but I've used emeals.com to help me plan for our weekly eating and it is a fabulous resource. Takes all the guess work out of meal prep for me.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    This shouldn’t be too hard to do. Eat small portions of meals and snacks that have a good balance of the macros you’re shooting for.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    That is my natural eating pattern.

Yogurt, fruit, and nuts
    Half a pita stuffed with chicken and baby spinach
    Fruit, cheese, crackers
    Half a bagel with cheddar and turkey
    Overnight oats with fruit
    Chocolate protein shake made with milk and coffee
    Carrots or broccoli and hummus or guac
    Small amounts of leftovers

I do eat larger dinners with my family, but breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack are usually between 200-300 cals.

Today so far, I’ve had a protein shake (8am), grapes and sharp cheddar (12pm), a bowl of yogurt with apples and sliced almonds (3pm). I’ll eat the rest of the day’s calories at dinner, but I could split it over dinner and an evening snack. If I lived alone, I would.

Good luck in figuring out what works best for you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Jeeplet18 wrote: »
    Thank you all!! Yeah I'm struggling comprehending it myself... especially trying to pack it all for work!? Well we will see how it all plays out in the end!

The only thing my doctor said was a "heart healthy diet" nothing else.

@psuLemon, thank you for that and I'm glad to hear the outcome your wife had!!! That makes me happy to hear.

I guess it's a play by ear kind of a thing... well see what happens.

You could start with 5 meals a day and slowly get back to your normal eating pattern. Considering you are trying to lose weight the volume of food is less than normal so its probably not as important as when you are going to maintain weight where food volume is higher.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I don't understand what small meals will do for "not stressing" the pancreas. Is the theory that you are working it less at a time? Wouldn't that be immediately offset by working it more often? If it is processing the same amount of food each day anyway couldn't someone argue that eating less meals will allow the pancreas to be "idle" more in between? I don't really have a clue as I am no expert.

If the doctor didn't recommend a special eating pattern I wouldn't jump into it based on some internet article if it is going to be a hassle. I would confirm the benefit.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Maybe your dr could send you to a dietician?
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If the doctor didn't recommend a special eating pattern I wouldn't jump into it based on some internet article if it is going to be a hassle. I would confirm the benefit.

+ 1

I'm a big fan of experimenting, so I'm in favor of trying different styles of eating to see how you like them and what they offer that you'd like to keep going forward. But if this ends up being a pain or you just don't find it satisfying, I wouldn't try too hard to make yourself do it unless your dr confirms it matters. Also, since you're already eating such a low calorie-level to begin with, it's unlikely that eating 3 meals a day would cause undue stress when it's 1300 calories that you're dividing.

As to your question of what to eat, I've eaten like this in the past and sometimes do now. I actually find small meals of 150-350 calories pretty satisfying when I eat every few hours. What I ate would change a lot, but for a sample, I'd eat: (meal 1) Greek yogurt, sometimes with fruit or nuts, (meal 2) a frozen meal in the 200-300 calorie range, (meal 3) protein bar with tea, (meal 4) steak, (meal 5) big serving of roasted veg, (meal 6) Yasso bar or a serving of ice cream.

I'm sorry you went through that illness and hospitalization. Best wishes on staying healthy and pain-free! :)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I eat 6 "meals"' per day although they are all not necessarily meals. My diary is public if you want to look at it. I do it because I like to eat all day long and not wait more than a couple hours between meals/snacks.

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I've had food issues lately, so I've been eating small amounts every couple of hours instead of my usual three square meals. The way I do it is just to plan a regular meal, but eat parts of it at different times -- so if I'm having cottage cheese, fruit, and toast for breakfast I might eat the toast by itself at breakfast time, then the cottage cheese and fruit mid-morning. If I'm having a sandwich and crudites for lunch, I'll have half the sandwich and a few veggie nibbles at 12, then the other half sandwich and the rest of the veg mid-afternoon. Chicken, broccoli, and quinoa for dinner becomes chicken alone at dinnertime, then broccoli and quinoa before bed. Etc. I often break the meals up even further on days I'm really, really struggling; I end up eating sort of constantly, but it gets the calories in!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I eat small meals spread throughout the day.
    Breakfast1 - 1 cup strawberries with low carb yogurt and whole grain toast
    Breakfast1 - 1 cup grapes with light string cheese
    Snack 1 - mini kind bar (almond or cashew variety)
    Lunch - boneless grilled chicken with 1 cup green beans, apple or orange for dessert
    Snack 2 - 28 honey roasted almonds
    Dinner - boneless pork chop with Brussels sprouts
    Dessert - 1 cup sugar free pudding