why am i still gaining?

Options
I have acid reflux so i cant eat much or else i get sick feeling. I eat around 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I don't work out much at all. Im under stress due to daily things in my life. But no matter how much exercise i still just gain. I recently gained 8 pounds in two weeks. I know it is cause i dont work out but that much weight in such little time???

Replies

• I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It could depend on the foods your eating.. How many calories does MFP recommend you eat?
  • BlueJeanBabyQueen
    Options
    they suggest 1200
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have reflux and can't take meds for it. the more whole foods you eat and the less processed foods, the better it will be. (Eat what God made and stay away from man made) You could completely get rid of it.
  • mleb2005
    mleb2005 Posts: 45
    Options
    I never thought that I was eating a lot of calories until I joined this site, and now I log everything that I eat and I mean everything. And its a shock to see how much I had been eating, even thought it didnt seem like a lot.

Hopefully this site will help you on your path.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have acid reflux so i cant eat much or else i get sick feeling. I eat around 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I don't work out much at all. Im under stress due to daily things in my life. But no matter how much exercise i still just gain. I recently gained 8 pounds in two weeks. I know it is cause i dont work out but that much weight in such little time???

I eat around 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I don't work out much at all= Answer to your own question. You are probably eating more than MFP recommends (assuming its somewhere between 12-1400) and you aren't working out much.

Also your food choices may be causing you to gain, high sodium? High carb or fat?
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    2 things...your level of stress and the food that makes up what you are saying is a diet of 1500-1800 calories. Clean up your diet and exercise, both will also help you cope with the stress.

Get rid of fast foods and processed (packaged) garbage. Fill your diet with whole clean foods (what you'll find in the produce section and perimeter of the grocery) plus a smattering of things from the middle aisles (such as steel cut oatmeal..not instant).

Check out Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno.

Cut your calories down to the recommended on MFP...1500-1800 is high when you're not active if you're trying to lose. Track your foods and be realistic with yourself if what you're eating is appropriate.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

ok so MFP recommends you eat 1200cal a day, you eat 1500-1800 and you don't work out. well that pretty much explains it. try aiming for 1400cal a day and aim for 20-30min of exercise a day and see what happens
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have acid reflux disease - have you spoken to your doctor about it? There are some treatments that can help. I don't know your situation, but I do know how awful it can be.

Try and stay away from high fat, highly processed foods. They will make the reflux worse.

I would definitely ask your doctor - they put me on medication for it and it makes a world of difference.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? If you're short, you may be eating too many calories, even at 1500-1800. I am 5'3" and weigh 113 lbs. I can maintain my weight by eating 1400 cals or less. If I want to eat more (which i do!) then I have to exercise.

The calorie calculator on this site will figure too many calories per day to maintain weight for short, small framed people. I looked at several online calculators (do a google search for "how many calories to maintain weight" ) and then adjust your daily calorie requirements on this site. Try that for a few weeks and see what happens. Then adjust as needed to control your weight.

This website still says that I should be losing weight on what I eat, but that just isn't right for my small frame. With a little research and trial and error, you'll find what works. Don't give up!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I used to think also that I wasn`t eating too much but logging it all makes all those little things add up. MFP recommends that I eat 1200 cals a day and with exercise it is usually around 1350.

It isn`t hard and most days I struggle to eat the whole amount.

(don`t forget drinks add up too if you drink alcohol!)
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    Options
    Try cutting back to 1200 a day. It may seem hard at first, but once you figure out what kind of "filling" foods you can eat.. it will actually start to seem like alot of calories that you are allowed to eat. Also make sure and eat your snacks and keep your metabolism going. It also may be the type of foods your eating, that will have alot to do with it. Also, make sure and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, stay away from sodas. I do not excersize much at all and have been sticking to the 1200 calories and I am losing weight. It's coming off slow, but it's coming off. And I know if i would get my butt into gear and excersize more, it will come off faster. It's just going to take some adjusting. You will get the hang of it before you know it!
  • CallmeKellie
    Options
    I eat around 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I don't work out much at all= Answer to your own question. You are probably eating more than MFP recommends (assuming its somewhere between 12-1400) and you aren't working out much.

I agree with fbMandy55. You would be surprised how much you lose by following the caloric intake, drinking lots of water and watching what you eat. Also try adding some type of exercise to your daily regimen. If I can't work out, I throw on my hrm and clean, which also burns tons of calories. Stick to the regimen and you will see weight loss.
  • BlueJeanBabyQueen
    Options
    i was also told that a good diet consists of 2000 calories a day. so by eating 1500-1800 was good cause it was less then the 2000. i guess i was dead wrong. Is there a place on MFP that shows some different exercises to do?? i know basic ones but i would like to do more
  • ShaunamsMar
    Options
    You are eating too many calories and not excersising. If you're supposed to eat 1200cals/day and you are eating 1800, that's 600 more a day, in 6 days you'll gain a pound (600 cals extra a day x 6 days= 3600 calories. There are 3500 calories in a pound). If you don't burn off those extra calories, you gain. It's math, calories in vs. calories out. Just start exercising. Or eat less.
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You can keep from gaining weight even if you can't exercise at this time. The choices you make with your food is more important than the exercise right now. Are you recording your food on the food diary?? That is your learning tool. You need to be eating enough but the portions need to be controlled. Check the calorie count; maybe you are allowing too many calories or the wrong kinds of food, even the wrong way of preparing those foods. (stay away from fried foods, full sugar drinks, etc.) You need to be drinking water, probably not as much as stated but a good amount. I hope some of these thoughts are helpful and that the stress level becomes less for you. Good luck, FG
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    Options
    i was also told that a good diet consists of 2000 calories a day. so by eating 1500-1800 was good cause it was less then the 2000. i guess i was dead wrong. Is there a place on MFP that shows some different exercises to do?? i know basic ones but i would like to do more

For some people if could be if it was a "well banlanced" diet. If you go to the "track my fitness" section, you can browse all the different excersizes and see how many calories you will burn. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as your moving.
  • BlueJeanBabyQueen
    Options
    You are eating too many calories and not excersising. If you're supposed to eat 1200cals/day and you are eating 1800, that's 600 more a day, in 6 days you'll gain a pound (600 cals extra a day x 6 days= 3600 calories. There are 3500 calories in a pound). If you don't burn off those extra calories, you gain. It's math, calories in vs. calories out. Just start exercising. Or eat less.

holy cow i did not know that, that is crazy. thanks for the info i will watch out better and do more work outs.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the best way to help your body get back in balance. Even a 1/2 hr walk every day can help. Your body will thank you.

You are gaining because you are eating more calories each day than your body needs, and more than you are burning off. You should meet your MFP goals each day (not fall above or below) to lose the 1-2 lbs/week.

When I exercise I find that I eat better, sleep better, and function better as a human. I can't imagine life without it. Stress can really add up and harm your body over the long term...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise eat around 1200, if you want to exercise use the search function in the forums to look for exercises to do (dvd, work out, gym), eating healthier and working out will probably help with stress and *kitten*.