Ladies advice on hair loss

Options
Hey! Have any of you ladies found anything to help with hair loss. It's not from not eating enough my hair has always fallen out but I had a baby 3 months ago and it had stopped falling out while I was pregnant. Now it seems way worse than it's ever been and my hair is really long now so some may be just breaking off too.

Has anyone had any luck with certain shampoos or vitamins maybe?? It drives me and my husband crazy finding my hair everywhere lol.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Had your thyroid checked? I am not a lady, but just a thought.
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Shedding but I get 3 or 4 strands every time I run my fingers thru it
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is totally normal post partum, though somewhat depressing. There isn't really anything you can do to stop it, just gotta wait it out. Eat well, and keep up with the vitamins especially if you're nursing.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby! As others have said, this is normal after childbirth. It is frustrating but your hair should return to normal in a relatively short period of time.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it is normal. For me it lasted from about 4 to 6 months pp. However after my first it didn't really stop and I discovered I had become mildly hypothyroid after he was born. So if it doesn't stop in a month or two best to get checked out just in case.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    It is normal post baby as others have said. That said, I’ve been experiencing peri-menopausal hair loss/thinning for quite awhile. I started using monat black shampoo after watching two of my female friend’s hair on it and I’ve been really happy with the results. My hair is definitely thicker and I have a small bald/thinning spot that is filling in after just a couple of months. So it’s worth a shot. And no, I do not sell the stuff. I’m typically a skeptic of MLM’s. I just really like this shampoo and since you can actually see and feel the difference it makes it easy to tell if it’s working or not, which I really like.
  • nicholahmola
    nicholahmola Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I developed Grave's disease after my second baby (hyperthyroid) and lost a ton of hair. It was one of my worst symptoms. It was a really sad time for me. Anyways, my endocrinologist recommended I see a dermatologist, which I did, and he recommended Rogaine, which I used, for around two years. It worked wonders. Once my Graves was in remission for a while I slowly weaned off of it.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    It is quite normal after having a baby.....I was totally unprepared for it at first. If its a continuing problem though, then I would mention to your Dr.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Biotin tablets can potentially help. I was losing hair due to stress. I used a biotin and collagen shampoo and it gave my hair the appearance of volume. It didn't actually make my hair grow since it's topical and hair is dead tissue but at least it looked nice.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its normal after having a baby
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    This is normal after having a baby, it can take up to a year for our hair to recover.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The op has stated her hair has always fallen out. Talk to your Dr and get a full checkup. Thyroid disease, anemia, low ferritin and other things can cause hair loss.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    How's your diet in general OP? if you aren't eating nourishing foods to fuel your body then that also takes its toll on your hair. But if you are concerned see your gp. You might benefit from vitamins to promote hair growth/strength.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, vitamins and minerals needed for hair growth, I started taking the Viviscal supplement, I kid you not, for me it has worked beautifully, seriously did not expect it to work, but 6 months later I see a difference, it takes time, a lot of time, but for me it was worth it, and I was just pleased as punch it did what it said it would do. My hair loss was hormonal. Good luck
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Totally normal post partum (my hair also sheds on a regular basis but it’s my normal, I’ve had tests for it). It starts shedding around 3 months post partum and stops around 8-12 months post partum. I had a jack Nicholson hairline after both my babies, but it all grew back in.
    Also, ask your doc before you take any supplements or vitamins while breastfeeding.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don’t know what your diet is like but lack of protein can have that effect. Also, L-Carnitine can help with hair loss. You can buy that over the counter in the vitamin aisle in your local store. I’ve never had that problem even after having my kids so I wouldn’t know if that is normal or not.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is very normal after having a baby, and also some birth controls can cause it. I've lost quite a bit while on the depo and now Mirena. =( I do take 1000mg of biotin everyday and that has slowed the shedding quite a bit and plus side my nails are longer and stronger than they have ever been. If I take more than 1000mg a day my face breaks out so that is something to watch for as well.