How do you lose weight during my cycle

Options
hello everyone,

this is my problem... I work out hard and lose 3 pounds and then my cycle will start and i gain all of it back. What I need to know how to do is how do I maintain my weight during my cycle? I tend to have more cravings (though i try to curve them it is very difficult) and I become bloated.

Please help i am open to suggestions.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating badly the entire time the weight should readjust and you should go back down. if it is your cravings that are setting you back then try exercising more and drinking more water. if you want to eat when you know you shouldnt then stop yourself.
  • crazynay96
    Options
    I lost 1 lb during my TOM last week however this week I lost 6, its fluctuates about 3 lbs during my TOM for me. Im a choc craver during my TOM so I allow my self skinny cow snacks and ice cream... they are 110-150 calories so very easy to allow. I may eat sugar free choc pudding for breakfast with fruit. surely not the best choice but could be WAY worse.... its all about choices. Its panning out, for me anyways, doing it like that.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything differently, but I have a pattern. I lose for 3 weeks and then plateau or gain just a bit during my TOM. (sometimes the week after too.) Since I noted this pattern, I don't stress when it happens. I have also found that more people notice my weight loss the weeks I don't lose, so I think it may be my body adjusting.

If you want to fight the bloating, I would make sure you get at least your water goal covered, if not more. (I average 10 cups of water a day.) Good luck to you. :drinker:
  • ErikaKBee
    ErikaKBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster. What has helped me is significantly increasing my water intake. It has made a huge difference and I typically don't see weight gain during that time.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, limit salt, eat watermelon!

And yeah, you might actually be on a plateau. Those three pounds you are "loosing" during the month might just be the water weight gained during your period. Maybe look into plateau breaking techniques (upping your calories, zig-zaging, etc).
  • tobicar
    tobicar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chantel I will try that, exercising more, I try to curve my cravings but even then i find myself eating. I will see if working out more will work. Thanks
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Every single month, at that time, I gain five pounds.. Like clockwork, always five. Never more, never less. Then as soon as it's over it comes back off. Don't beat yourself up about your weight when it's that time. Almost everybody will flucuate during that time due to retaining water and all that other good stuff.
  • tobicar
    tobicar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am amazed! 10 cups of water a day??? That is a tough stretch. Somedays I find that I drink only a cup at worse none at all. Water drinking is something i need to get in my pattern. Thank you
  • dddttt
    dddttt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Idunno, your cycle doesn't affect me much... jk, jk ;))
    Both my sister and I bloat like crazy during our periods. It must be water, because even though the scale comes up, it goes away right after my period. So I'm not too bothered by whatever the scale says during my period and shortly before. :)
  • wildone31
    Options
    I normally keep losing weight or hold the same number during my cycle. I increase my fruits as a way of giving into my sweet tooth. Water is just my fav!! So its just my drink of choice. Heck I have some by my bed and sip on it before I sleep and I need it to wake up in the morning like other people use coffee. I also do 5 days of cardio at least 40 mins, to battle any bloating. I avoid salt and bread like its the plegue! lol That stuff causes me much pain.