To gym or not to gym

Options

Replies

• breebeasley76
    breebeasley76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i cant work out well, or consistently at home. for me, i HAVE to go because it gets me in the mindset. if im working out at home, all i think about is everything i could or should be doing.

ive been a member of ....5 different ones over the years. ive never see anyone being mean or even caring what anyone else was doing.

i wouldnt use it to expand your social circle though, people who try to talk to me annoy the ever loving *kitten* out of me. im not there to make friends. a class environment (zumba, aerobics, etc) might be worth looking into if thats what youre looking for. i enjoyed zumba, but way too.... people-y for me. chatty housewives arent my thing (no offense LOLOLOL)

It's not so much looking for friends as it is just seeing different faces. Maybe nod at the regulars and just feel like I'm not the only one doing this.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your three month trial is a good idea. That should be enough time to determine if you want to commit longer.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I was once, and kind of still am, the extra extra large guy at the gym. No one gave to kittens about how heavy i was. Most people ,outside the occasional ahole, would inquire how my loses were going. I am now at a new gym, most of the members dont know my history, and when they see a heavy person working hard, will actually tell me how happy they are to see someone trying to improve their life. Not sure if some one suggested it. Lift! It won't make you bulky at all. It can actually accentuate curves imho! Best of luck
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    i cant work out well, or consistently at home. for me, i HAVE to go because it gets me in the mindset. if im working out at home, all i think about is everything i could or should be doing.

ive been a member of ....5 different ones over the years. ive never see anyone being mean or even caring what anyone else was doing.

i wouldnt use it to expand your social circle though, people who try to talk to me annoy the ever loving *kitten* out of me. im not there to make friends. a class environment (zumba, aerobics, etc) might be worth looking into if thats what youre looking for. i enjoyed zumba, but way too.... people-y for me. chatty housewives arent my thing (no offense LOLOLOL)

It's not so much looking for friends as it is just seeing different faces. Maybe nod at the regulars and just feel like I'm not the only one doing this.

Also, you are not the only person doing it, but work hard and be one of the few that suceed!
  • ptstarr227
    ptstarr227 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my home workouts but I also love going to kickboxing gym (9 Round). If you have one in your area, you might want to check it out! Great core workout and you use every muscle. Very adaptable to your individual situation to work around injuries or weaknesses. It's a fun workout and you never have time to be bored.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I say do what you'll stick to. Personally, I prefer to work out at home. Mostly because if I have to get changed and drive somewhere, I'm not likely going to do it consistently due to my family's schedule. It's all in what works for you. Some people enjoy going to the gym. I like doing home workouts.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has already said what I am going to say. If your goals include something that you can only access at the gym, then go to the gym. I have a very nice treadmill at home. I run on it, and I run outside. I lift weights at the gym because I don't have access to them at home. When I was 100 pounds heavier than I am now no one treated or looked at me any differently than they do now.
  • tassiegal
    tassiegal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I avoided gyms for ages for fear of not fitting in. After much nagging from a friend, I joined her gym (which also has a crossfit box). While I have yet to drink the crossfit koolaid, I am really enjoying the circuit classes and the ever changing very evil in a good way workouts I find in my file on a regular basis. I never thought I would enjoy group classes, but this one I do...so its a matter of working out how far out of your comfort zone you want to dive...
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I joined my gym for the swimming pool and the weight machines.

I haven’t touched either in months; I’ve discovered that what I really like is classes. Which surprised the heck outta me, I gotta say.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I doubt most people care what size anyone is at the gym. We're all just there to work out.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home from DVDs, or I go walking. the only things I do in an organised sense are a zumba and a clubbercise class once a week at a local school (pay as you go). If you think paying for the gym would make you go more often/work out more then by all means do it, otherwise maybe just try switching round your exercise (that can often kick-start things a bit). Sounds like you're just a bit bored with your routine and need to give it a revamp. :)
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If anyone fat shames you in the gym then you deserve to punch them right in the dick!! I absolutely love seeing people who are trying to better themselves go hard in the gym, at any weight. For me, the gym is what really helped my body change for the better. I was losing weight with cardio and hit my goal weight of 180 so i went to get my BF tested. It came up at 28%. I was like how the hell am i at my goal weight but 28% body fat?! Its cause with just cardio i wasnt cutting fat as much as just losing weight (muscle and fat)... so once i got into lifting, over time my body fat dropped drastically. From 28 to 20%. It was a change i was really happy to make. But i also did that when i was already at/close to my goal weight. Its up to you but if youre getting a good workout at home, maybe join the gym when you get a little closer to your goal!!
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i have a severe condition called cold urticaria, whereby i break out in welts when it's cold and or windy (i'm usually only good to be outside if it's about 23 C and higher with winds) so i'm VERY limited to outdoor activities without having to overdress *i also live in canada just to add to that equation*

the gym provides me an out *i'm not working and also have cancer* and i only go there to do the recumbent bike and rowing machine. it's imperative for me to be fit. there's people of all sizes at my gym, and everyone leaves everyone alone, except for the folks who are friends there. i have an elliptical in the basement that is doing nothing but taking up space, and our basement isn't finished so it's kind of sad to go down there LOL

i do qi gong and pilates types of exercises to relaxing music every day at home. i find i need both types of atmospheres for my health. i hope you can find the proper place to make yourself mentally motivated for your health journey!
  • knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the gym....and have tried several to date. I have found ways to accommodate cardio, and resistance training at home. The downfall for me is most of my workouts are done out of doors, and when the winter hits they are basically impossible. Which is when I will consider the gym again...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a gym would be worth trying for you. Give it a try.

A gym really is not an option for me so I do more walking and exercise videos for exercise. I know that I would procrastinate about going somewhere to exercise unless I was going with someone.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have only been going to the gym for about a month. I do it because I don't have the necessary equipment at home for my goals. I do cardio at home and lift at the gym.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My opinion is that you should be doing some relatively heavy strength training if only to prevent osteoporosis and offset sarcopenia, no matter what your "goals" might be.
    Dumbbells will not serve you for very long with many exercises because you will outgrow them, so to speak. They also are not heavy enough for many exercises to begin with.

Strength training would be cheaper and easier in the short term at a gym for most people but cheaper at home in the long term if you buy equipment over time.

Body weight training is harder to load progressively than a barbell and it does not do as much for strengthening your bones as barbell work does.

All the women I coach are required to do barbell work. No, it will not make you "bulky" or any BS like that.

Required reading for the women I coach (includes nutrition advice and a training program): Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body
    Free program: https://www.stronglifts.com/5x5/

Your "goals", building muscle, losing fat and strengthening your bones are not all mutually exclusive ideas.

At the very least, you may get out of your comfort zone and build some self-confidence.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    With yoga, I think it's always a good idea to go to a class for a while at first so that there is someone there to help you with form. However, once you've done that, gym/studio vs at home is a personal preference. I do both bc I enjoy the atmosphere of group classes.
    As far as being fat shamed at the gym, I've never personally seen that happen, and if somebody is a jerk enough to shame someone who is at the gym trying to improve their health, that person isn't worth you worrying over what they think anyway.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    As far as being fat shamed at the gym, I've never personally seen that happen, and if somebody is a jerk enough to shame someone who is at the gym trying to improve their health, that person isn't worth you worrying over what they think anyway.

^ This

In the gyms I am associated with, if someone belittled a overweight person for working hard and trying to improve themselves then they would get their butts kicked in the gym and then they would be kicked out of the gym.
    Granted, I own and coach in fighting gyms.

Putting in the hard work to improve yourself will usually earn you the respect of others who do the work and the envy of those who don't but would rather make excuses.
    You will find that most gym regulars are more that happy to encourage you and offer advice.
    They can also offer to spot you with challenging weights or even give you pointers on your form and technique.
    Unfortunately some of the information and advice from your average gym rat can range from useless to downright counterproductive or dangerous. That is why I recommend the book (above) so you at least learn the basics.

That being said, if you have enough time and energy in the gym to worry about what other people think then you are probably not training hard enough.