Health Implications of Working in Retail

ftsolk
ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
A little background information: I am almost 27, 5' 5", and weigh around 190 pounds.

I work at a major retail chain as a team member. My job duties include customer service (cashiering), stocking shelves, and culling (pulling old and expired produce and perishable groceries off the shelves).

My job is extremely stressful. I started the job in February working 4, 5, and 6am shifts (primarily 5am shifts) with 32 to 38 hours per week. Typically, due to the hours worked, I took a break approximately every two hours as so:

5am- Start work
7am- Break for 15 minutes
9am- Break for 30 minutes
11am- Break for 15 minutes
1pm- End work.

This was a nice schedule. I was able to eat a light snack like a Larabar or piece of fruit before work or on my first break if I wasn't hungry enough to eat before 5am. On my 30 minute break, I'd eat breakfast.

About three weeks ago, my hours were cut. I now work around 16-17 hours per week. This is adding a lot of stress as I am not getting the hours I need. My hours are also incredibly unstable. Some days, I work 4 or 5 hour shifts; other days, I work 7 hours. Today, I worked from 7am to 12pm with one 15 minute break that I ended up taking around 11:37am.

The stress of my scheduling and other issues within the job are taking a toll on my health. My sleep schedule is crazy as I have days where I work late hours and other days when I work early shifts. At work, I often have less than 15 minutes to eat breakfast or lunch, so I end up shoveling food in. I'm aware that eating so quickly is impacting my health, and even outside of work, I have a hard time breaking the habit of eating too quickly.

I have been sick for about three weeks with stomach pains/indigestion as well as upper respiratory symptoms (cough and mild congestion). I know some of these issues are related to seasonal allergies, but I definitely think inconsistent sleep, stress, poor eating scheduling/habits, and such are contributing to my health problems.

I am searching for a full-time position with more stable hours. Something with more hours and a more stable schedule (such as one that allows for a full hour lunch break around the same time every day) will definitely help to improve some things. I am considering rejoining Weight Watchers as I love the program, but I find it incredibly difficult to stick to any weight loss program when my schedule is so unstable, so I am hesitant about starting anything until I can at least find a way to have a more regular meal schedule.

(My ideal schedule is to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner with maybe ONE snack in between lunch and dinner. I rarely eat between meals, but I may eat a snack if I am expecting a later dinner. I rarely eat after dinner. Most of my jobs have not allowed me to snack, so I've adjusted to just drinking water or unsweetened tea in between meals. I do best when I can eat my meals within the same time intervals. For example, if on weekdays, I eat breakfast at 6am and lunch at 12pm when I get my break, but I sleep in on Saturday and don't eat breakfast until 9am, then it's not unusual for me to wait until 2 or 3pm to eat lunch.)

Anyone else work with crazy retail scheduling? Any advice?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Wow, what a bunch of bull (your employer)! I hate that retail stores have evolved into something much worse than they were in the 90s or very early 2000s, when you could still find full-time decent jobs with reliable hours and somewhat decent schedules. I worked retail back then and always loved it to be honest, I may never have left if things hadn't started to go sour with so many retailers cutting hours and benefits. I guess when the biggest retailers began doing it, everyone started doing it until it became the new normal.

I hope you find something better for you soon. The good thing is, you sound very self-aware and committed to your own health and wellbeing. That does go a long way. I have no idea what your work history and educational background is like, or the job opportunities in your immediate area - but I'd strongly suggest applying to some other positions to see if there may be something out there that is a better fit for you. I know many people who have transitioned out of retail into jobs that they enjoy, whether they have a degree or not. Some do take pay cuts for better hours and schedules at other type of jobs but it seems to be worth it, either in the long run with different, better opportunities, or just in such a better quality of life.
  • ftsolk
    edited May 2018
    My advice is to put in an application at your local Home Depot. They still schedule your days off at random (except a few coveted positions) but have set work hours (8-5, 10-7, 1-10, etc). Also, good benefits. If you want a real workout, apply for garden or lumber. Your choice of 30 minute or 1 hour lunch. And discounts with Weight Watchers (plus others).

I am actually trying to get OUT of retail, but it's nice to know that there are some companies that do schedule set shifts for retail. I have coworkers who, right now, work 7am to 1pm shifts and 3:30pm to 11:30pm shifts in the same week. (Though, I did see something on Reddit just now about how Home Depot may be doing away with set schedules; and, of course, getting a set schedule would be contingent on being hired full-time.

My current position does offer discounts on WW, but it is still a waste of money if I cannot stay on plan because my schedule affects my eating and sleeping patterns.

(I am going to mention Home Depot to one of my coworkers who is working such drastic opening and closing shifts in the same week).
  • seltzermint555
    Honestly the low number of hours (total) sounds worse to me than those opening and closing shifts you mentioned. Sorry if I sound like a jerk. In some of my retail jobs that was just how it went, especially in a supermarket. In college, I wasn't available M/W/F from 9-3 so I wound up with wonky shifts like 6 am to 3 pm on Sundays and then Monday evening 7 to midnight... Honestly I don't think that is so terrible, kind of comes with the territory. JMHO. Still 100% understand you wanting to get out of it though!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Sadly, thats the world of (most) retail. unpredictable hours and schedules.

You can transfer those skills and probably find an entry level receptionist or customer service (office) job, as long as you have a professional demeanor (speak properly with grammatically correct sentences, use a clear and professional voice and tone, etc) and appearance (business casual works in the majority of offices). Among my other jobs (lol), I also own a resume writing service, and have helped more than a few get out of retail, so it can definitely be done (with or without professional help lmao).

Regardless, as others have said, there will always be change in schedules, even if on a personal level and not due to a work schedule. You have to learn how to adapt to those changes, and how best to continue on those days where its not 'normal'.

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    I completely understand. I left a job because of unpredictability. I would be in different cities every week and never knew what days or hours I'd be working. It was ridiculous. I gained so much weight. Now I have a set schedule and I have lost 30lbs. I hope you can find a good job. Best of luck. Just do your best at tracking your calories for now.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I’ve been in retail for almost twenty years, not even full time until two years ago, and that’s pretty much how it is if you aren’t in a special role. One of my coworkers who has been here three and a half years has just recently made it to all day shifts...the one who started a week later is getting at least one night a week. I’m lucky now that my schedule is fairly consistent (one day 4-12:30, two days 7-3:30, and the other two no later than 9-5:30). Except for Sundays (the 4-12:30 day) I eat a banana or protein bar before work and then get something more substantial on my lunch. I don’t eat on my breaks because it wastes my time and calories...if I do need a snack, it’ll be when I get home.
  • nvasquez41
    nvasquez41 Posts: 59 Member
    I'm not in retail but I'm in the restaurant industry and I really don't get breaks at all if that makes you feel better. I'm a bartender and when I'm slammed all day long I have to go hours without food, you really can't even leave to go to the bathroom when your bar is surrounded by tons of people impatiently waiting for drinks. Sometimes we are open for lunch so I'm not out of there until 3am but have to be back at 10 am so I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I kind of like the unpredictability and activeness of my job though and I think I would struggle with a 9-5. I don't have any advice other than getting out of retail but I do feel your pain and hope your health issues get better.
  • nellypurcelly
    nellypurcelly Posts: 26 Member
    I used to work in retail, and I understand the stress. It wreaks havoc on your schedule, sleep patterns, cortisol levels, and digestion, which all contribute to weight gain. If you decide to look for something in an office, beware of how sedentary those jobs can be, and there are always treats and snacks lying around in office break rooms! ;-) It's a different environment with more predictability, but you'll still have challenges!
  • ftsolk
    I’m actually trying to get back into daycare. I’ll have a more stable schedule than I have now, but I won’t be completely sedentary.

I only accepted this job because I was laid off in January and being unemployed doesn’t pay anything. I am desperately trying to get out and into something different, but I can’t quit until I have another position lined up.

I do pack my meals when I can afford to buy food, but the short, inconsistent breaks mean I eat too quickly and end up spending half of my shift feeling sick to my stomach.
  • seltzermint555
    Do you get reliable breaks to have a relaxed meal or snack in daycare? I would not imagine so.
    Also, I hear from a lot of teacher friends that they don't even have time to go to the bathroom like at all...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    how far in advance do you know your schedule for the week? i have an ever changing one even though i notionally work a 40hr a week job...

i try to lay out on paper what my anticipated hours are; when i can squeeze in workouts etc - it gives me some semblence of control in an uncontrollable world
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I would pack your snacks and eat them whenever you do get your break time. I don't get to take a break at set times and have no problem getting in a banana or protein bar every now and then.

I remember you had a thread a while back about feeling the same way and trying a unpasteurized milk experiment so do you think there's a chance that these ailments may not actually be linked to working in retail?
  • ftsolk
    There’s no way it’s related to drinking raw milk. I don’t drink it enough for it to be an issue. Trips to PA every week or two aren’t in the budget right now. I had to stop drinking raw milk regularly as it’s just too much time and money to obtain.
  • ftsolk
    Do you get reliable breaks to have a relaxed meal or snack in daycare? I would not imagine so.
    Also, I hear from a lot of teacher friends that they don't even have time to go to the bathroom like at all...

Usually. In most classrooms, teachers go on break during naptime, so if nap is from 1pm to 3pm, then break would either be from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3. Occasionally, breaks may be earlier, but that’s usually in the infant room where teachers can’t take advantage of higher naptime ratios. On the very rare occasion I get a really late break, I can usually eat my packed lunch in the classroom while the children are sleeping. (Only other weird break thing is occasionally taking an extra long break so I can open and close, but obviously a break from 11:30 to 3:30 would give me plenty of time to eat a relaxed meal.)

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I have a part time retail job on weekends, and the schedule, even though predictable, is so far off my schedule the rest of the week, it is a major problem. I have a typical office job M-F, but my weekend gig doesn't start until 10 or 12, and I'm there until after 6pm. Breakfast I just plan to eat later than I normally would, but since lunches are spread around a) who arrived first that day, b) customers in the store, c) how busy we are, there's no set time. It really throws off my schedule as I normally eat lunch around 11:30, not 2 or 3pm!

I don't have any great advice TBH, other than finding a new job. I'm still debating on quitting this job, if I get enough of a raise with this promotion at work, then I am likely to say good bye to them as the stress (plus never having a day off) is really starting to wear on me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    ftsolk wrote: »
    I’m actually trying to get back into daycare. I’ll have a more stable schedule than I have now, but I won’t be completely sedentary.

I only accepted this job because I was laid off in January and being unemployed doesn’t pay anything. I am desperately trying to get out and into something different, but I can’t quit until I have another position lined up.

I do pack my meals when I can afford to buy food, but the short, inconsistent breaks mean I eat too quickly and end up spending half of my shift feeling sick to my stomach.

What steps are you taking to get back into daycare?