Exercising with Plantar Faciitis

Options
Right now I have some pretty painful right foot plantar faciitis . . .I rested it, iced it, motrin'd it, everything for 10 days. I have a foot brace for night time and inserts for day . . .what exercises can I still do . . . cardio wise?

Replies

• regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe bike riding - wouldn't put any pressure on your feet. I know that's very painful - when mine flares up I start wearing my Sketchers for a few days. Good luck.
  • Nelly83
    Nelly83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i'd like to know the answer to this too. mine hurts really bad even why i'm just lifting weights :( sorry not a very helpful answer i know.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    PF takes forever to get over...sorry. For me it would hurt first thing in the morning when I got out of bed. But after walking around it would loosen up and I'd be fine. Since it was basically ok, I would run anyway. Lately it has been acting like it's coming back.

If yours is painful all day, how about swimming?
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine on here is recovering from surgery where hers lead to nasty heel spurs...she's doing chair aerobics on a stability ball.
    Anything in a pool is GREAT exercise while keeping weight off of your feet!!

I also read this article earlier today where this is supposed to be a great workout, but low impact...
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201108/lose-fat-2-exercises

Hope it helps!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty much healed . . . yesterday it felt 80% better so I did a zumba class. I could barely walk this morning and it has been hurting all day even with ibuprofen. I tried to manage it on my own, but I am going to make an appointment with my doctor. I didn't think about swimming, but I don't currently have access to a local pool.
  • cawfeesong
    Options
    I still do the treadmill. I don't recommend it. It hurts so bad especially in the morning and at night. Someone told me the elliptical is better, but I have found my feet hurt even not exercising so I am not sure what would be a good exercise to lessen the pain.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm a sufferer too. I found running and training shoes with a lot of cushion (as opposed to firmness) were helpful in both making it feel better and keeping it away, as well as heel lifts in my work shoes. If you're currently in a lot of pain biking and swimming can be good alternatives until it feels better. Unfortunately it takes forever (months) to resolve. Good luck.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a stretch which can help is to pull your toes up towards you with a towel while sitting, or lying in bed.
  • lottabottle
    lottabottle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering with this since last june, did the rice for ten days, orthotics for shoes, weekly physio, shockwave treatment and two weeks ago had an op where they took blood from my arm and re-injected it into my foot (supposed to hep aid healing).
    still in bloody agony. i havent been able to walk/run for 15 months now, cant do any weight training because it puts pressure in the feet and have managed to gain nearly two stone in weight, which is also aggravating it.
    Just taken up cycling and it does not affect it at all, i can cycle for up to two hours and not once have i suffered any pain or aches in the plantar.