Roasted chicken.....illness

Options
It is the oddest thing. Everytime I eat one of those roasted chickens that you get from the super market, I feel mildly nauseating after I eat it. It tastes pretty good while eating my rather small portion, but I am ill about 10 minutes later. I don't have a chicken allergy, and it only happens with those super market roasted chickens. Has anyone else experienced this, and why these chickens? Do they use some odd chemical in preparing them?

Replies

• jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    they could use any number of preservatives or tenderizers that you could be allergic to. my mom is allergic to MSG, not severely but it makes her nauseous and she gets a migraine.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that perhaps it is a seasoning that they use...I know that restaurants and such claim that they do not use MSG, but a lot of them still do...Many people have a bad reaction to it, myself included...My head gets swimmy and I feel like crap....
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    idk. Im still not fond of super market rotisserie chicken, I loved them clear up until I got pregnant, then the smell made me puke (imagine how fun grocery shopping was!) it was so bad they were banned from the office I worked at until I went into labor! I think its the oily texture from the skin that does me in texture wise and its just the smell.... like melted fat
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    possibly not cooked well enough - you never know how long they have been sitting there and whether or not they have maintained the temperature...chicken is the biggest carried of salmonella (nasty...I've had it!!)

I would suggest not going for the pre-cooked ones and roast one at home, with garlic and lemon. It will taste so much better!
  • magickclaire
    Options
    is there a chance you are lactose intolerant? the one's near me tend to have butter used in the marinade ¬_¬
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Those chickens are left out for quite some time. Be sure to check out the time written on them.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, it's weird.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would avoid pre-roasted chickens at the grocery store. Who knows how it was prepared, or how long it's been sitting around. You could easily be allergic or intolerant to any number of things used in preparing it.

You're far better off buying a whole chicken and roasting it yourself. It's so easy to do, really...with a big payoff. It's cheaper (usually), tastes so much better, and it's far better for you too as you know exactly what you're preparing it with (I only add very little salt, lots of freshly ground pepper, fresh thyme, and stuff it with a whole onion or lemon).

I make my own roasted chicken at least once a week - such an easy, delicious meal! I save the leftovers for sandwiches or fajitas, and the carcass for making a yummy chicken soup stock. You get a lot of bang for your buck!