Losing muscles though I'm lifting weights?

Options
Mirita09
Mirita09 Posts: 16 Member
Hello,
I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscles, over the last month I've been doing 30-45mins cardio along with some 30-45mins of strength using weights, for almost everyday!

I've been eating only 1200 calories a day since I want to lose fat.

Today I did my inbody and I almost lost no fat at all, but I lost muscle!!!! How is that? When I've been working out and eating 1200?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring that you lost muscle?
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You WILL lose muscle if you're trying to lose weight while lifting, you don't just lose fat when you're losing weight although you're retaining as much muscle mass as possible compare to if you weren't lifting and losing weight.

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Need some more info here. What is your current weight? What is your fat %? Are you lifting heavy? And how much protein are you eating?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any of those exercise calories back?
  • Mirita09
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Need some more info here. What is your current weight? What is your fat %? Are you lifting heavy? And how much protein are you eating?

Body fat percentage is 34.9 while normal is between 18 to 28

I'm not lifting heavy, but doing many repeptirions, such as 25 kilos for squaring and 30 for deadlifts.

My current weight is 60.9 kilos
    21.4 is muscles 21.2 is fat.
  • Mirita09
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Only about 50% of them. I have asked before and people said that it wasn't okay to create a bigger deficit than 1200
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Mirita09 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Only about 50% of them. I have asked before and people said that it wasn't okay to create a bigger deficit than 1200

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you weren't under fueling your exercise. One thing that can be challenging in reducing the amount of muscle you lose while losing weight, is not eating enough. As others have said, make sure you are getting enough protein, as well as keeping in mind that most methods of measuring body composition have some measurement error. How many lbs/week are you set to lose?
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options

I'm not lifting heavy, but doing many repeptirions, such as 25 kilos for squaring and 30 for deadlifts.

Those machines aren't very accurate like stated by others. Are you feeling any stronger? How do your clothes fit?

If you're able to do many repetitions, then I'd still count it as cardio...
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You are eating 1200 calories PLUS the 50% exercise calories? Just to clarify...

How much protein? How long have you been lifting? Are you following a program?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Whatever you are using to measure your bodyfat is inaccurate.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

If you're squatting/Deadlifting, with free weights(Dumbell, barbell, kettlebell) 25-30 kilos at 60 kilos --As a female, that qualifies either as heavy, or you as a moderately advanced lifter.

If those are not free weights, those numbers are essentially meaningless.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

So you're not following a real program that will ensure that you are retaining as much muscle as possible?

What is your daily deficit?

1200 calories with almost 2 hours of exescise at your body weight seems quite severe.

@stanmann571 why do you say that a 60lb squat at over 120lb bodyweight is an advanced lifter? That just perplexed me since I have several female friends that have a 1x-1.25 bw squat and they most definitely do not count as advanced lifters
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

So you're not following a real program that will ensure that you are retaining as much muscle as possible?

1200 calories with almost 2 hours of exescise at your body weight seems quite severe.

@stanmann571 why do you say that a 60lb squat at over 120lb bodyweight is an advanced lifter? That just perplexed me since I have several female friends that have a 1x-1.25 bw squat and they most definitely do not count as advanced lifters

A half body weight squat for MANY repetitions is not a beginner. Ditto for DL. we can quibble over terminology. but Half body weight isn't light weight It may not be heavy. but it's not light.

And if a female is doing 1.25 bw for reps they're by definition intermediate to advanced.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

A half body weight squat for MANY repetitions is not a beginner. Ditto for DL. we can quibble over terminology. but Half body weight isn't light weight It may not be heavy. but it's not light.

And if a female is doing 1.25 bw for reps they're by definition intermediate to advanced.

Yes that's it, I see what I was missing. The portion about many repetitions. I believed you were referring to a 1-3rm. Thanks for the clarification
  • sadmaker
    sadmaker Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You're not eating enough. I would also try to eat your body weight in grams of protein per day, while keeping carbs and healthy fats around 30-35% each. Track your macronuntrients daily and lift heavy.
  • cooi
    cooi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To maintain muscle while cutting you should probably eat 2 x your weight in kg.

So if you weigh 60kg, you will want 120g of protein.