Looking for fellow equestrians

Options
Hello everyone! I'm just looking to find some people in the same boat as me. I've been riding and doing things with horses in general for 20yrs. Kinda had had to stop for about 3 years because I was pregnant for two years in a row and took last year off to let my body recouperate lol now I'm getting back into it and want to lose baby weight at the same time. So I'm looking for others that are horse savvy and want the support of other horse savvy people on their health and fitness journey.
Hope you all have a good day!

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Mucking out, sweeping the yard, carrying feed/water buckets and hay bales along with grooming and riding kept me fit and slim for years. Sadly hip pain has left me out of the saddle and away from horses for a long time. Hip issues mostly resolved so hopeful to get back in the saddle (at 62 it will be slowly and gently at my age now)
  • haalastar846
    haalastar846 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mucking out, sweeping the yard, carrying feed/water buckets and hay bales along with grooming and riding kept me fit and slim for years. Sadly hip pain has left me out of the saddle and away from horses for a long time. Hip issues mostly resolved so hopeful to get back in the saddle (at 62 it will be slowly and gently at my age now)

Oh yeah when I had my oldest I was at my slimmest. Had started to lose weight again when my horse sadly had to be put down because of colic. My current horse is an ex racehorse who needs retraining and had I known I was going to have two more kiddos after getting her, I wouldn't have gotten her just because I couldn't do anything with her for almost 3 straight yrs.
    So my goal for this year is to at least be able to sit on her without her thinking she's supposed to take off lol I luckily have some good local friends who have told me if I want to ride their horse to just say the word and I could so I'm hoping to get some practice in lol
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I used to ride but don't really anymore, due to finances. Never had a horse of my own but used to ride a Welsh Cob mare for years. Still into horses, just can't afford to have one or ride anymore.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Oh yeah when I had my oldest I was at my slimmest. Had started to lose weight again when my horse sadly had to be put down because of colic. My current horse is an ex racehorse who needs retraining and had I known I was going to have two more kiddos after getting her, I wouldn't have gotten her just because I couldn't do anything with her for almost 3 straight yrs.
    So my goal for this year is to at least be able to sit on her without her thinking she's supposed to take off lol I luckily have some good local friends who have told me if I want to ride their horse to just say the word and I could so I'm hoping to get some practice in lol

Aww - I lost my horse to colic in 2006. Haven't ridden since :( Determined to ride this year.
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Glad to see I’m not the only horse person on here! I am a horse professional (academic) but haven’t done much riding lately as I’m currently between horses. I put my retired show horse down last fall, and his replacement is only 8 days old. :) Luckily, between friends and our University school horses, I manage to get some occasional saddle time.

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • haalastar846
    haalastar846 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I’m not the only horse person on here! I am a horse professional (academic) but haven’t done much riding lately as I’m currently between horses. I put my retired show horse down last fall, and his replacement is only 8 days old. :) Luckily, between friends and our University school horses, I manage to get some occasional saddle time.

Feel free to add me as a friend!

Yeah I have a few friends that have offered to let me ride their horses I just need to find the time between retraining my horse and chasing two toddlers to go ride lol
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I miss riding so much! Way too poor for indulging in this love but luckily my neighbor has a horse so I get to visit with a sweet old boy every day in my own yard. My older son loves horses but my baby is very wary still.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Took riding lessons and had free reign in the paddock at the stables in Pt. Reyes for a couple of years. Even helped out on group trail rides.

Rode a big beautiful black percheron. Loved it but moved to the East Bay 10 yrs sgo and haven't ridden regularly since.
  • jacesmom4930
    jacesmom4930 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Super horse obsessed girl here!
    I have owned/ridden/shown Arab x saddlebreds for 10 years.
    I’m down to 1 mare right now. Heading to our first show in 2 weeks!! Yahoo!!
    I’m soooo out of shape and overweight. I’m really scared I won’t be able to keep up with her. I’m gonna die out there. Plus my *kitten* looks horrible in breeches. Lol

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Horse girl here. I have a 14 year old Arabian mare who is an expert at putting herself on the injured list, so I have all of the joys of ownership without all that pesky riding! :lol:
  • LetsDoulaThis2018
    LetsDoulaThis2018 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not an Equestrian yet, but hopefully will be! I rode as a little girl but not after the age of 10 despite coming from a horse family. (My aunt is still winning shows in her 50s.) The farm my children take lessons at has a draft horse trained in a saddle that can accommodate me as a rider so I just got back in the saddle for the first time in decades. It was amazing and there are so many exercises off of the horse to be doing for me to gain strength and balance to be better on the horse. It is really motivating. As I lose weight I will look forward to riding smaller horses but for now riding the gentle giant feels like such a gift!
  • LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have 2 horses :) i dread to think how big i would have been without them! Owned both for the last 9 and 6 years.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used to ride but time and finances has put it on a back burner but i still adore them.
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have 2 ponies, a Welsh cob and a New Forest that I share with my daughter. They are my main motivator for losing weight and keeping it under control.
    Caring for them certainly burns some calories!
    My favourite exercise for sure is horse riding, it’s so much fun it doesn’t feel like exercise at all :)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Grew up with horses, rode and trained for years, never had weight issues. Then moved to the dreaded "professional" desk job, no more horses, and I got fat.

Ended up replacing my furry horses for the iron horse, it is definitely my passion, but I still miss riding.