1200kcal yet not losing weight?

Options
MFP put me on a 1200kcal diet, which I follow and strictly keep. I put in every food, drink, even 0 calorie ones. I've been doing it for a month with 2 cheat days and only lost 2kgs (around 4lbs I guess). I am kind of panicking and stupidly put myself on 900kcals after a cheat day, but I know I shouldn't so back on track again. I know it takes time to lose weight but is this pace normal? I haven't lost a gram in around 1.5 week... Could it be that I'm not eating enough? Is it a thing? I'm in a bit of a mental breakdown... just kidding, yet I would love to know how others handled this situation. Should I just go on like this or should I change something?
Thank you!

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 4lbs then you had a loss so your title is misleading. Maybe you mean you're not losing the amount you want or as fast as you want.
    There's no such thing as not eating enough to lose weight. If you eat less calories than you burn you lose weight.
    If you've had cheat days, how much over your 1200 calories did you eat, did you log the cheat days. It could be you ate more calories than you think and that's why you haven't lost as much as you thought you would.
  • roxybeer
    roxybeer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    .5-2lb loss per week is recommended. Congrats. You've reached the middle of the road recommendations. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    4 lbs is a good weight loss in one month! I would try to stick to cheat meals rather than cheat days, sometimes a day can set back a week's progress. It is actually possible for your body to hold onto weight if you are not eating enough, depending on your calorie burn. I'm pregnant right now, so this doesn't apply for the last few months, but am 5'1 and generally 115 lbs and MFP has me on 1200, but with my running, that usually doesn't feel like enough food and I eat around 1600 or so. How is your exercise?

No it won't hold onto weight if you're not eating enough, "starvation mode" is a diet myth, please take a read of this https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

MFP gives you a calorie allowance based on the numbers/information you have entered, as you're in a normal weight range and baring in mind the fact you're pregnant you should be set to maintenance or 0.5lb loss per week really which would at 5'1" and 115lb put you at 1225-1475 calories before including any of your exercise if you are sedentary in your day-to-day life), so if you're running you should definitely be getting more than 1200 if you're using MFP as it is intended to be used.
  • ryaramfp
    ryaramfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    But I seriously need to lose weight since I am 82kgs (180lbs?) and just 163cms (5ft 4" maybe) tall. Even though my body fat percentage is in normal range (I am kind of muscular, been an active volleyball player), I feel like I have to drop weight to have a healthy BMI and to feel better.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ryaramfp wrote: »
    But I seriously need to lose weight since I am 82kgs (180lbs?) and just 163cms (5ft 4" maybe) tall. Even though my body fat percentage is in normal range (I am kind of muscular, been an active volleyball player), I feel like I have to drop weight to have a healthy BMI and to feel better.

At your stats and eating 1200 calories, you're in a deficit of around 700 calories per day, if you're sedentary and before factoring in any exercise, that's about 1.4lbs per week, so bearing in mind your cheat days and allowing for a bit of inaccurate logging you're losing pretty much as you'd expect to. Stick with it and trust the process.
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 What I meant by "it doesn't apply to me right now" is that I am not using MFP to do anything but track my calorie intake to make sure that I am getting enough to support my pregnancy. I haven't been able to run in a few months due to complications, so I was just commenting on what I usually do when trying to lose or maintain, not what I am doing right now. Thanks for the article, I will make sure to check it out!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    MFP did not “put you on a 1200 calorie diet”. It’s just an app - it can’t make you do anything.
    You are making a choice to use MFP’s tools to calculate a daily calorie intake recommendation of 1200 to lose 1 lb a week (although I’m guessing you seiected 2 lbs a week which is probably too high and that’s why you are having several “cheat days.”)
    Reframing your thinking so that you are an active participant and not a passive diet “victim” can really help.
    Oh and recalculate to 1 lb a week to get a few more calories to avoid going over.
    You are off to a great start!
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I do1200 calories a day. I've been doing that since mid-January. It hasn't always been perfect. But, I have logged everything-even drinks if I go out. I do try to exercise almost every day. I like to walk and I do Aqua Aerobics twice a week. I am down 26#. Yes, it has taken awhile, but I am so happy with myself for sticking to it. I have tried many ways to lose weight over my adult life-MFP has been the only thing I have stuck with and had great success. The best part is going to buy new pants and wearing a size I don't even remember the last time I wore it. Hang in there and keep at it. Four pounds in nothing to get down about! I think it is awesome. Good Luck to you and I hope you have much success!